I hate the urge to sell what with the crazy $$$.

I have guns I'm tempted to sell but keep because I don't really need to part with them. Seems like there are a few categories though:
  • Nice to Own: P226 Extreme: I don't shoot it very often but I bring it to the range for others to shoot.
  • Broken-But: e.g., Remington Mohawk 10C: I had the magazine working decades ago. I keep thinking I'll find time to fix it, but there it sits. I probably should sell it to someone inclined to get it working, but I've had it since I was a kid and could literally disassemble, clean it, and reassemble blindfolded.
  • Broken/Issues: H&R 622: Why I don't just post them for parts or wall art is a mystery.
  • Pointless or Redundant: Benelli Supernova: Don't shoot it. I just keep it from rusting. Range time is consumed by the other guns.
I have a P229 Extreme. My all time hands down favorite gun. Paid like $795 brand new. I refer to it as a poor mans Legion.....

At one time I had 11 AK’s and sold them all, not a single regret. I enjoyed them until I got tired of them and they sat in my safe for a very long time, I have sold a few of my AR’s, but I’m at the point now where my AR’s are exactly how I want them except for one but regardless if I take a break from shooting them or even get tired of them I will keep them because I believe in having multiple’s of the one rifle your best familiar with and it serves a main purpose of defending family and home. Glocks I love but I sold all my Gen 3’s & 4’s for my 5’s. Zero emotions involved with any firearm I’ve ever sold.

I know there are a multitude of reasons for people to sell a firearm.

It just seems to me that when things go wrong politically you start to see excessive amounts of AK's and AR's for sale.

Then I get thoughts in my head that these firearms are for sale at inflated prices because a seller may fear confiscation and would rather have the cash in hand than lose the firearm for little to no money. Or that they may enact laws and restriction preventing the future sales of these items from anyone.

Not saying it is true. Just saying that these are thoughts that come to mind whenever a democrat is elected.

I will sell my stuff for what I paid for it when the time comes that I leave the state. Only because some items I have are difficult to get here.

If I am prohibited from selling it at that time I will just take it all with me.

I have made the mistake before.
I want to keep them all.

change my mind.
Best way to handle this and its what I have been doing.

Open your storage facility----look at your inventory and when you come across a item you cant easily identify and pick it up and feel no love .....dump it.
When I found out people where paying $450 for noting special mosin nagants, well I dumpbed them. Good buy, I really only bought them for plinkng with the 12 cent ammo at the time.

think of it this way also, some guns have gone up dramatically over the past 5-8 years.
Mosins where as little as $69 not long ago and are now $400 plus vs say M1 garands from the cmp last one I bought they where $650 now even several years later only $750

then there is the value of the items? right now you can find Swiss K31s that will out shoot any mosin on any given day for around the same price.

I also have a handful of 22s Im putting up.

Last edited:
I’ve sold an HK USPc 9mm, which I replaced with a CZ P01, which is my favorite shooter.
I sold my gen 5 G19 to get a gen 5 MOS.

I traded my HK45 compact to my brother for some preban mags. He loves it.
I sold my Walther PPQ .22 and HK P30 cause I didn’t like shooting them.

Unless money grows on trees why not sell stuff and buy something better?

I'm unloading the deadwood while prices are high. It's wood, plastic, and steel.
To some they are wood plastic and steel and thats fine. However....to others they are more than that. When I look at my hunting irons I don't see wood and steel I see all the time I spent hunting with my son....and my friends. When I see most of the rest of my collection I see all the memories of time spent at the range with my boy.

He will inherit every last one of them.

To some they are wood plastic and steel and thats fine. However....to others they are more than that. When I look at my hunting irons I don't see wood and steel I see all the time I spent hunting with my son....and my friends. When I see most of the rest of my collection I see all the memories of time spent at the range with my boy.

He will inherit every last one of them.

This,

Plastic guns that can be rebought, or something that's still in manufacture, I have no problem selling in a panic situation and reaping the benefits. Eventually it will come back down. I do always save enough for myself to have. Any extras that I feel can go, will go. Right now I'm holding the extras......Biden gets in there is a lot of upward room to go if there are bans.

Sentimental guns, hand me downs, or guns that are not made anymore.....yeah.....no....not selling it. Most of those are not plastic shxt AR type guns.

They are old time, hunting guns, wood, and blued metal that was made in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Stuff my dad and uncle hunted with. Think Savage 99, Marlin 336, Winchester 94, and Remington 760 or 740, Browning BAR, Ithaca 37's. Browning Auto 5's, Sweet Sixteen Belgian made...... They don't make most of that stuff anymore, or if they do its not in the quality it was produced back in the day, or not made in the USA.

But something like a Maverick 88 that I paid 180 for??.....if I can get 5 beans for it I'm going to, I'll rebuy it later for 200 dollars when the idiots retreat.

This,

Plastic guns that can be rebought, or something that's still in manufacture, I have no problem selling in a panic situation and reaping the benefits. Eventually it will come back down. I do always save enough for myself to have. Any extras that I feel can go, will go. Right now I'm holding the extras......Biden gets in there is a lot of upward room to go if there are bans.

That's fine, but people should be aware that from time to time the transactional costs on this sort of thing are 110% hot garbage. Rolling a shotgun to buy it again later so you can make 300 bucks on that one shot? "it depends". On the other hand, if I'm selling that maverick 88 knowing I'll never buy another one again, then it's a win. . if anything in that case, I'd take the money made and at least roll it into a better shotgun- you could roll yourself into a 590A1 if you waited long enough with the retardation going on out there.

A better example is I'm sure as hell not selling any of my Glocks or CZs that I've tested, for less than what I bought them for.... because I know they work. The T+E cost to me (as well as customization costs, in some cases) are worth something. It's why I sure as hell won't sell the G19 3rd gen on my hip for anything less than like 2 grand. I know it works. Because I've beaten the f*** out of it and maintained it. It was made on a good day.

I appreciate everyone’s experience, and comments.
I am going to hold on to what I have.

now.... finding ammunition so I can enjoy my things is another hurdle.

That's fine, but people should be aware that from time to time the transactional costs on this sort of thing are 110% hot garbage. Rolling a shotgun to buy it again later so you can make 300 bucks on that one shot? "it depends". On the other hand, if I'm selling that maverick 88 knowing I'll never buy another one again, then it's a win. . if anything in that case, I'd take the money made and at least roll it into a better shotgun- you could roll yourself into a 590A1 if you waited long enough with the retardation going on out there.

A better example is I'm sure as hell not selling any of my Glocks or CZs that I've tested, for less than what I bought them for.... because I know they work. The T+E cost to me (as well as customization costs, in some cases) are worth something. It's why I sure as hell won't sell the G19 3rd gen on my hip for anything less than like 2 grand. I know it works. Because I've beaten the f*** out of it and maintained it. It was made on a good day.
To me...to sell, its at least at double what I bought it for to make it worth it.

The reality is I have several guns to fill the Maverick 88 space, if I'm making 300 profit on a 180 dollar gun, Transactional cost is nothing to me. I may or may not rebuy later because I have several to fill the void while the prices come back to reality. But if things go normal and I see another one on the shelf for 180....no big deal I'll rebuy it.

Everything I need that is proven for carry and HD i already have and will not sell either. I'm not selling the G32 on my hip, the HD shotty, or HD pistol. Those never leave. If I have spares, and the price is right...it can go.

Every now and then I get an urge to sell my M1A National Match... and then I get enraged that the amount I could get for it would be equal to what guys are getting for POST 94 AK clones.

I have guns I'm tempted to sell but keep because I don't really need to part with them. Seems like there are a few categories though:
  • Nice to Own: P226 Extreme: I don't shoot it very often but I bring it to the range for others to shoot.
  • Broken-But: e.g., Remington Mohawk 10C: I had the magazine working decades ago. I keep thinking I'll find time to fix it, but there it sits. I probably should sell it to someone inclined to get it working, but I've had it since I was a kid and could literally disassemble, clean it, and reassemble blindfolded.
  • Broken/Issues: H&R 622: Why I don't just post them for parts or wall art is a mystery.
  • Pointless or Redundant: Benelli Supernova: Don't shoot it. I just keep it from rusting. Range time is consumed by the other guns.
Visited a friend to do some duck hunting.
Brought the Supernova since it's camo
He mentioned wanting one.
Left without it.
Bought another shotgun on the way home.
Pan seared mallard for dinner.

I sold things…

A PS90 that I bought for $1399 and sold for $2500 and two cases of 5.7 I got over $2.15 a round for.

I was up over $3k in that one alone. It was a range toy, and I could buy another one now for more normal pricing if I really wanted to

I have some I would part with at the right price. Those I have little intention to ever replacing.

Back
Top Bottom