I want to buy some hunting land in Maine:

Broc

NES Member
I want to buy some hunting land in Maine. So i was wondering if any Maine residents or people that go hunting in Maine, could give me an idea of which county would be the best to get some land, and why.

thanks.

I don't have any information for you but once you buy the land I could be your friend

further north the cheaper you will get, the further away from the highways, the cheaper you will get. Let me know if you need a realtor to help you out. i grew up in maine and know a couple of people in real estate up there.

Make sure thats realy what you want, 1 Deer tag (if thats what you want to hunt) and you can't hunt Sunday. Even though you own the land you still have to pay $100 for out of State License for that 1 tag.

Do you have any other interests besides hunting? Things like boating, snowmobiling, skiing......

yes, i will probably do some kayaking and fishing. and in the future (10+ years from now) build a small cabin. and if my brother comes to visit maybe take the ATVs.

further north the cheaper you will get, the further away from the highways, the cheaper you will get. Let me know if you need a realtor to help you out. i grew up in maine and know a couple of people in real estate up there.

i noticed that. at some points it gets as cheap as $300/acre. i think i even found one for under $250/acre.

Make sure thats realy what you want, 1 Deer tag (if thats what you want to hunt) and you can't hunt Sunday. Even though you own the land you still have to pay $100 for out of State License for that 1 tag.
yeah, i know that. But i might be hunting bear mainly. and moose (if i can ever get a permit)

Don't forget to always carry your MA LTC while in Maine. I'm sure Maine cops will be impressed.

Don't use moore's realty. Way north towards Houlton is good hunting land, cheaper, lots of rivers and lakes and no moonbats. People are very friendly as well. I can give you the name of the broker I used to buy 38 acres on a river in Bancroft.

Canada might be a little too far. I am willing to drive to all the way up to northern Maine, and thats already a little far.

If i buy in Canada, then i wont go as often.

I will put in my 2 cents and suggest you really clarify your goals. If you just want to hunt in rural Maine, you certainly don't need to own the land. Once you get off the immediate southern coast, most Mainers are more than happy to let you hunt their land if you ask.

If, as you said, one of your future goals might be to build a cabin, I'd say great, but focus more on road access, zoning and suitability for building. The land that is the < $300/acre land that you mentioned is sometimes swampy or throwaway clearcut stump-land abandoned by the paper companies.

My family is in Maine, I go up 5-7 times/year, and I've been looking at "SHTF build a cabin/retreat" land up there for more than a decade, and every time I think I've found an amazing deal and go look at the land in person, I see why it's priced the way it is.

^^^^This guy is spot on.

Once you get above Bangor, the majority of the hunting land is open for any hunters. What most people do is buy a nice little spot to build a camp (or purchase an existing camp) so you have a base of operations and then travel the short distance to whatever area you want to hunt in. We travel the 2 hours or so to bird hunt up near Moxie and you literally drive until you see an area that looks good and then get out and hunt.

*A few places to start looking in would be:
-Rangeley
-Greenville
-Rockwood
-Millinocket

*I would search a radius around these towns for land and camps.

They are correct about open hunting land and a different attitude. Most people do buy a small lot and hunt the open land up there. First thing we did when we bought was to talk to the neighbors and locals about land use. We didn't post our land and people will respect that and look after it generally. People ACTUALLY are friendly to each other up there and help each other out with things unlike many neighbors down here who will report you for putting up a treehouse without a permit. We were driving around with a guy who does our gravel and were talking about the land you see posted no tresspassing and no hunting. Guess whose land it is? Out of staters coming up to get away from the cities but telling the local people to stay off their land. Not very good. I wanted a large parcel because I wanted the ability to use as much of the trees on our property to build a real log cabin and not a kit. I also wanted to have the luxury of choosing places to build and add cabins in the future for friends and family or split the land. I also wanted to build a 100 to 200 yard gun range without worry. That is not what others may want so they buy a nice small camp and just use the land. Lots of good advice given here by others so you will have to just decide what fits your needs. Do keep in mind what RI_John says because there is a LOT of swampy land up there and that should be something to look out for.

As for building codes and permits it is something else to consider if that means a lot to you. One of the things I really liked about Bancroft was that it is pretty much no problem for things...hell the town hall is only open on Thursday from 12 to 4. :). Most camps are built on rocks or cinder blocks without a foundation because then you do not need a building permit. You will still need electrical and plumbing permits but it is much easier. The electric company up there is a co-operative and is pretty inexpensive. It cost $110 for us to get our electric run from the street to a pole (they provided) 180 feet from the road and the permanent meter put on the pole. Electrician dealt with the electric company and put an outside outlet for us on the pole for now for us for $150. Minimum electric costs when no use on the property is only $13 a month. Taxes are almost nothing on the properties up there if you stay in a nice rural area. It is just a whole other world of great living up there.

Lots of great advice here. I agree, buy because you want to build a cabin someday, and have a base of operations... or maybe a getaway/SHTF place. You can otherwise hunt almost anywhere.

I've noticed that lots of land has recently come up for sale in western Maine, large acreages and well under $1000/acre. So, this is the perfect time to be looking. For large plots >20 acres, you can easily find under $1000/acre that is good land to get, with features such as brooks, road access and views. That $300 land you mentioned isn't going to have features like this -- it'll land-locked with no R.O.W. as well as flat/swampy.

A great place to look is north and west of Farmington... the area is beautiful with mountains and lakes, and very affordable. And, it is a much shorter drive than northern Maine. Plus, you aren't too far from civilization... you can drive to Farmington or Auburn if you have to get something.

thanks for all the good advice.

before i buy anything, i always look at it.

so, in Maine if the land is not posted, you can hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Don't forget to always carry your MA LTC while in Maine. I'm sure Maine cops will be impressed.
Maine has an easy to get NR CCW permit.

I was being sarcastic since Broccoli Iglesias thinks MA residents must have their LTC on no matter where they go in the country.

I was being sarcastic since Broccoli Iglesias thinks MA residents must have their LTC on no matter where they go in the country.

dont bring that stupid conversation to this thread.

You need to have your license when you leave your house anyways, so you will have it on you when you go to another state.

Yes, but if possible, it is always a good idea to ask the landowner.

exactly. my neighbor even asked if he can brushog paths on my property that they like to hunt. Good to keep nice relations with people when you can and you never know you just might end up with a hunting buddy by asking.

You made your point in the other thread. Following him around to disparage him is just childish.

Yes, but if possible, it is always a good idea to ask the landowner.

Exactly. Most times up there you won't even be able to begin to identify the land owner since it's just non-posted woods with no obvious home/driveway nearby. But it doesn't hurt to swing by the nearest general store or diner and ask if anyone knows who owns the land you want to hunt and ask if they'd mind.

Exactly. Most times up there you won't even be able to begin to identify the land owner since it's just non-posted woods with no obvious home/driveway nearby. But it doesn't hurt to swing by the nearest general store or diner and ask if anyone knows who owns the land you want to hunt and ask if they'd mind.

i always ask. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom