Illegal Data Release Massachusetts

You're not reading into it correctly. If it's the "gun hoarding" then they don't want just the 1% to have all the guns, its for equity in firearm access. Therefore we must remove all licensing requirements immediately and issue a "gun stimulus" to the underprivileged to even the playing field.

If I'm understanding this correctly:
Someone could snoop a S/N off a firearm you had at the range, or a pic you took that had a SN on it, and quite simply gather data on your whole collection and dates of transfer.
They're then only one step away from finding where that collection lives.

Correct?

Last edited:
Someone could snoop a S/N off a firearm you had at the range, or a pic you took that had an SN on it, and quite simply gather data on your whole collection and dates of transfer.
They're are then only one step away from finding where that collection lives.

Correct?
Correct. No wonder folks tend to hide their gun's serial number when they post a photo. 🤔

Our new AG is concerned about "gun hoarders" and just like that a database of who owns how many is suddenly available. How long before a major newspaper publishes a list of "hoarders", by ID number?

The sad reality is the list of hoarders will be inflated because the papers are not going to take the time to cross reference and determine which firearms were transferred to someone else. Also If I am not mistaken when you trade/sell a firearm to an FFL they don't have to put in an eFA10 saying they received the firearm.

When Ruger donated firearms to the MA States I can see all of them being transferred to me from the FFL. After the matches I took them all back to the FFL who then held them until the winners came and picked them up. No eFA10s from the FFL indicating they received them back from me. Right there it makes it look like I have tons of assorted Ruger firearms that I don't and actually never did.

I think some people here are misjudging the risks of this in different ways. No, this list doesn't let you identify or locate complete strangers. But it does let you look up the gun collection of anyone you know a little bit about. Don't assume a criminal can't search two spreadsheets just because you need help opening cat videos on Facebook. I have no data skills and I'm still able to pull information out of this way too easily. If an actual stat nerd goes through this and turns it into something more cohesive, then it'll be even easier to misuse.

Someone could snoop a S/N off a firearm you had at the range, or a pic you took that had an SN on it, and quite simply gather data on your whole collection and dates of transfer.

Correct?

Within limits, yes. Only the 2016+ dealer transaction list has serial numbers (and they probably are in there due to an error.)

Correct?
That's one possible scenario. Bottom line is the state provided significant information that tends to disclose names and addresses of persons who own or possess firearms, specifically against MGL. Allowing even a novice to piece together public or otherwise obtained information to ascertain persons who own or possess firearms. The state has abused a system they put in place and the system can no longer be trusted.

That's one possible scenario. Bottom line is the state provided significant information that tends to disclose names and addresses of persons who own or possess firearms, specifically against MGL. Allowing even a novice to piece together public or otherwise obtained information to ascertain persons who own or possess firearms. The state has abused a system they put in place and the system can no longer could never be trusted.

FIFY.

So do you think criminals are going to access a database and go after addresses that have guns…or…make sure they don’t hit up any addresses that have guns? Sometimes I think that even the dumb criminals are smarter than some of you NES commandos😂
Unless the criminals want firearms.......

How is this going over your head?

I think some people here are misjudging the risks of this in different ways. No, this list doesn't let you identify or locate complete strangers. But it does let you look up the gun collection of anyone you know a little bit about. Don't assume a criminal can't search two spreadsheets just because you need help opening cat videos on Facebook. I have no data skills and I'm still able to pull information out of this way too easily. If an actual stat nerd goes through this and turns it into something more cohesive, then it'll be even easier to misuse.

Within limits, yes. Only the 2016+ dealer transaction list has serial numbers (and they probably are in there due to an error.)
There has been a data breach plan accordingly.

Correct?

I don't see any serial number columns in these dumps, but I havent openeed the 3rd one yet. That doesnt mean they cant use the data for nefarious purposes by trying to associate it with some other datasets.

ETA: supposedly there are serials from 2016 forward. I havent gotten that far yet

Unless the criminals want firearms.......

How is this going over your head?
It’s not. Criminals break into places for lots of different reasons and they follow the path of least resistance. If they want to try and use this to go after somebody’s shit then good luck to them. Hopefully your home security plan was in place before this.

It's not so much criminals of the typical "do bad things and go to jayle" variety I would be concerned about.

I would be more concerned about criminals in our own government misusing this data. Or like a mary hairnet activist type like that shitty globe reporter.

Shitty globe reporter processes data, now is calling up licensing officer of chief in town XYZ and starts grilling them "Hey do you know there is someone licensed in your town that supposedly has 100 firearms? Are you doing anything to insure that these are locked up properly? blah blah blah etc."

Next thing you know some guy has the waffen SS at his door "concerned" because of these people leering into the data.

I noticed a lot of buyers from out of state. Utah, NH, etc. The eFA10 System was for in state sales last night I knew

I noticed a lot of buyers from out of state. Utah, NH, etc. The eFA10 System was for in state sales last night I knew

This is because people rat on themselves (as required under MGL) and change their address when they move out. So the buyer state "becomes" wherever their LTC "moved to." when they filed their COA form.

This is because people rat on themselves (as required under MGL) and change their address when they move out. So the buyer state "becomes" wherever their LTC "moved to." when they filed their COA form.
I thought the notification for the COA was for the CLEO to where you moved? If moving out of state, how could you file a Mass COA?

Our new AG is concerned about "gun hoarders" and just like that a database of who owns how many is suddenly available. How long before a major newspaper publishes a list of "hoarders", by ID number?
This insane illegal data release plays right into the radical new AG lady's declared war against "gun hoarders." Now, the whole world knows who the "gun hoarders" are and one way or another she's coming after you... with the generous help of the Boston Globe DimocRAT, of course. :mad:

I just sent an aquaintance a list of all his guns. He was shocked, and by shocked I mean pissed off but not suprised by the commies.

I had to know something about him but it was trivially easy.

In addition to the doxxing that is likely coming and the increased risk from criminals, it would be very easy for an employer to find this info. How about insurance companies?

Some of you are underestimating how serious this is.

Just for example, thanks to this data any one of the following people can look up your gun collection:

-Someone you've traded with in the past on an efa-10. This person has your address, too.
-Someone who knows your birthday. This person probably also has your address.
-Someone you've told "I bought xx gun today"
-Someone who sees a post online that says "I bought xx gun today"
-Someone who knows you own an uncommon gun
-Someone who sees the serial of a gun that went through a dealer

This doesn't mean you're going to get rolled but it's far more information than anyone should have access to. So you sold a .22 rifle to a guy on NES? Now he knows you own six registered machine guns. Tell a neighbor you sometimes do target shooting? Now she knows you actually own 42 ARs. Guy at the range sees you with a rare gun? Now he knows you have a $150K collection.

It's not so much criminals of the typical "do bad things and go to jayle" variety I would be concerned about.

I would be more concerned about criminals in our own government misusing this data. Or like a mary hairnet activist type like that shitty globe reporter.

Shitty globe reporter processes data, now is calling up licensing officer of chief in town XYZ and starts grilling them "Hey do you know there is someone licensed in your town that supposedly has 100 firearms? Are you doing anything to insure that these are locked up properly? blah blah blah etc."

Next thing you know some guy has the waffen SS at his door "concerned" because of these people leering into the data.

I'd be concerned about both.

Oh please bro. will you cut the freaking crap blah blah blah blah blah you got nothing better to do. Just because some dudes butt hurt and they want to bring up posts from other thread into this one Doesn’t mean I’m living in some weird different version of the world. Besides I’m not the one with the f***ing Star Wars screen name😂😂😂
Okay I’ll play along, it’s slow enough today.
You’ve been down playing the the risks associated with a release of data like this.
Calling everyone pointing out the risks pant shitters
Claiming you don’t fear the leak because “you have a plan”
Have made it clear you’re a technological troglodyte
Ignoring the rest of your posts about your other world views, the best you can retort with is a comment about my user name?

It’s clear that you’re not providing information worth reading. I look forward to more of your emoji usage.

I thought the notification for the COA was for the CLEO to where you moved? If moving out of state, how could you file a Mass COA?

It goes to the CLEO and EOPS in the case of a move out to hopefully a less shitty state. If it was in the state than its CLEO source CLEO destination town, and EOPS.

Okay I’ll play along, it’s slow enough today.
You’ve been down playing the the risks associated with a release of data like this.
Calling everyone pointing out the risks pant shitters
Claiming you don’t fear the leak because “you have a plan”
Have made it clear you’re a technological troglodyte
Ignoring the rest of your posts about your other world views, the best you can retort with is a comment about my user name?

It’s clear that you’re not providing information worth reading. I look forward to more of your emoji usage.
I don’t need to provide anything. I do think this is very serious and needs to be dealt with as quickly as possible. But my posts aimed at comedic relief do nothing but fire you and a couple of other idiots up because your butt hurt from other threads that don’t even have anything to do with firearms. I think calling this a shopping list for criminals is a stretch. You can disagree with that all you want. But you’re kind of a joke saying I live in a different world because I have a different opinion on this. This is far more damaging in the aspect of the media and politicians getting a hold of it than any criminal. If you feel my posts aimed at satire and comedy are not funny that is fine don’t feel the need to respond with insults because you’re butt hurt from other threads or you disagree

I'm sorry. Perhaps I'm stupid, but how is some stranger going to figure out who is who? I found me by looking at my town, and looking up my LTC issue and expiration date. That gave me my ID, which I then searched.
If you don't have that info, how does anyone find me
Have you ever given out your address and birthday to someone? Buddies at work, friends, relatives? Do they celebrate b-days at your work?
I agree this breach does not directly give out list of guns-you-own. But with this secondary info, then it's quite easy to get your list.
I was able to get the list of guns a former co-worker owns based on his b-day and where he lived. With this data breach, many times you don't the actually need the street address - only the town.

Two keys items is all it takes. A person's birthday + town is enough to narrow it down to a single person. Nobody w/LTC in my town shares my same b-day.

If you sort the dealer_sales_2016-01-09_2021-12 list on birthday, you can see many times only 1 or 2 people share the same same b-day in the same town.

There has been a data breach plan accordingly.

This isn't a typical "data breach" its a willful malicious act by a STATE ACTOR or ACTOR(S) acting in bad faith.

The shit is POSTED ON A STATE WEBSITE

Which IMO has different implications than even an "oops, someone broke in and stole all the data". etc. deal

It doesnt even need to be as complicated as serial numbers. Go to the range, see a guy with 3 guns, x, y, and z. You know what town he is from. Search for sales of those 3 guns in that town, you have identified your guy.

Also, there is a difference between the risk of a random breakin with unknown payout, to an itemized list of loot that someone might assemble a crew for. This just made potential targets of a lot of people that were previously trying their best to stay anonymous.

I agree with the previously stated 'this is an act of terrorism'. Not meant to be pant shitting, it fits the definition.

This isn't a typical "data breach" its a willful malicious act by a STATE ACTOR or ACTOR(S) acting in bad faith.

The shit is POSTED ON A STATE WEBSITE

Which IMO has different implications than even an "oops, someone broke in and stole all the data". etc. deal
No shit. And the sky is falling on NES. What’s new?

Have you ever given out your address and birthday to someone? Buddies at work, friends, relatives? Do they celebrate b-days at your work?
And people called me paranoid for chewing out HR at work for sending out a "Happy Birthday to all our January-born employees!" email with my name in it, and for deleting mom's "Happy birthday son!" messages in FB.

Back
Top Bottom