Illegal workers taken to Devens

It's about time! I hope they make a real example out of Mr. Insolia

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070307/NEWS/703070636/1116

Illegal workers taken to Devens

Agents nab 400 in New Bedford

By M. Elizabeth Roman TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF
[email protected]

DEVENS— They came in waves through the night. A parade of buses, with every window shuttered in white paper, pulled up slowly to the gated compound of the Devens Reserve Forces Training Area last night.

Inside, about 400 illegal workers apprehended in a raid yesterday at a New Bedford leather company were being separated by gender, given a bed assignment and told to wait for processing that could take up to four days.

“It’s organized chaos,” Bruce E. Chadbourne said. “We’ll be processing people 24-7 until it’s done.”

Mr. Chadbourne, Boston-based field director of Apprehension, Detention & Removal for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said it took about a month to prepare the Devens area before the raid. His department is a section of the federal Department of Homeland Security.

About 700 agents were called from all over the country to complete what was the fourth largest such raid conducted in the country, he said.

Local catering, medical services, public health services, 24-hour ambulance, telephone service, movers and a fence company had to be hired and put into place from scratch before the 8 a.m. raid, in which two-thirds of Michael Bianco Inc.’s 500 employees were arrested. The company produces various products, including lightweight backpacks, to fulfill $91 million in military contracts.

About 10 pregnant females were released shortly after the raid, Mr. Chadbourne said. They will receive a summons to appear in court.

Mr. Chadbourne said he chose the Devens site because it had dorms used at times to house military personnel.

Two barracks and a processing area on the 5,000-acre U.S. Army facility are being used for the operation. Though the base closed in 1996, the site supports military and other federal activities.

Temperatures hovered around zero degrees, with wind chill about 20 degrees below zero last night.

Mr. Chadbourne said groups of about a dozen people were being taken from their sleeping quarters into a large processing area throughout the evening. There, they were moved through about 40 stations where agents recorded biometrics and personal histories into a computer catalog.

“They are very subdued,” Mr. Chadbourne said of the detainees’ mood. “They are cooperative and calm. Well, they have a lot of company.”

He said about 60 percent of those arrested were from Guatemala. The second largest group was from El Salvador, followed by Brazilians. The women outnumbered men arrested 2-to-1.

After processing, the workers are entitled to a hearing. Many will be moved to detention areas in Texas or wherever the agency has space.

“Many will be flown home,” Mr. Chadbourne said.

Rumors of a raid on illegal immigrants had been circulating in the Leominster-Fitchburg area for several days.

At Monday’s Fitchburg School Committee meeting Superintendent of Schools Andre R. Ravenelle reassured parents and students that a raid of that type would not happen in the Leominster-Fitchburg area.

The owner of the New Bedford leather company, Francesco Insolia, 50, and three top managers were arrested after the raid yesterday. He is accused of hiring hundreds of illegal immigrants to work in “sweat shop” conditions to meet the demands of the military contracts.

The sweep caused such chaos that some workers tried to flee, only to be turned back by the bitter cold, said Bruce Foucart, customs enforcement special agent in charge.

U.S. Attorney Michael Sullivan accused Mr. Insolia of exploiting the illegal workers to maximize his profits on the military contracts.

Mr. Sullivan said workers were paid about $7 to $7.50 per hour and Mr. Insolia set up “deplorable conditions,” including docking employees $15 for every minute they were late, and $20 fines for spending more than two minutes in the bathroom or talking while working.

“Insolia intentionally seeks out illegal aliens because they are more desperate to find employment and thus more likely to endure the severe workplace conditions he has imposed,” Mr. Sullivan said.

In an affidavit, investigators claimed Mr. Insolia, plant manager Dilia Costa, payroll manager Ana Figueroa and office manager Gloria Melo allowed an undercover officer posing as an illegal immigrant to continue working at the plant, and Ms. Figueroa advised her how to obtain a fake Social Security card.

The investigation began after an informant tipped off federal officials, Mr. Sullivan said.

Material from The Associated Press was used in this report.

what happens if the pregnant women have their babies in the US? The kids are US citizens and the mther can still be deported?

The owner of the New Bedford leather company, Francesco Insolia, 50, and three top managers were arrested after the raid yesterday. He is accused of hiring hundreds of illegal immigrants to work in “sweat shop” conditions to meet the demands of the military contracts.

Good... I wonder what the penalty is.

I'd say that if they have their babies, then all of Mr. Insolia's assets should be seized to pay their way (the child's and their mothers) should they decide to stay and become citizens. Nothing should be the burden of the taxpayers.

what happens if the pregnant women have their babies in the US? The kids are US citizens and the mther can still be deported?

Yes. The kids are US citizens, but their guardians are not. They can either arrange to have the kids cared for in the US by people hear legally or they can return to their country and the kids can come back when they are 18.

That is one law that should be changed.

Gary

LOL -- I posted this on another board. Here was the resident liberal's response:

Who's gonna do the work to fill those military contracts now? There's a reason he was hiring illegals. Meanwhile, our cost to maintain the military just went up.

Where's the gain here?

Good to know the old base is being put to a good use. [smile]

The owners assets should be siezed to pay for the entire operation, the factory sold and the contract forfit and put up for re-bid.

...and if Francesco Insolia was not born in this country, revoke HIS citizenship and ship him off to where ever the heck he came from while they're at it.

LOL -- I posted this on another board. Here was the resident liberal's response:

Quote:
Who's gonna do the work to fill those military contracts now? There's a reason he was hiring illegals. Meanwhile, our cost to maintain the military just went up.

Where's the gain here?

Sounds like this person has an illegal alien as a housekeeper / nanny [rolleyes]

I haven't posted or read over there in a while, pretty much since I found this forum and I havn't been mtbing much in the past year. You post made me remember the old political rants and it just had the right flair so I went and checked and found the exact post.... I always thought you sn looked familiar.

they were a military contractor! the IRS reported that 66% of the social securty numbers reported by them were fruadulent..

I have done a lot of military and government contracts in the past. We had to file all sort of paperwork for equal opportunity employment, no discrimination, etc. It would be easy for the fed to add one paragraph about not using illegal immigrants. Of course the paragraph is not there and some of us have to compete against companies not paying their employees. Sad state of affairs.

I have done a lot of military and government contracts in the past. We had to file all sort of paperwork for equal opportunity employment, no discrimination, etc. It would be easy for the fed to add one paragraph about not using illegal immigrants. Of course the paragraph is not there and some of us have to compete against companies not paying their employees. Sad state of affairs.

Shouldn't that be a red flag for the government when company can bid that much less than all the others to win that contract?

If the system didn't suck so badly, they could be deported
before they dump their "payloads".

-Mike

Shouldn't that be a red flag for the government when company can bid that much less than all the others to win that contract?

Sure, but the point is the purchasing agents do not care if you use illegals. Enforcing the immigration law is not their jobs. The IRS does not care either as long as they get the taxes paid. There is even a way to get pseudo social security numbers from the IRS for those employees who do not have a proper SSN. This is just a complete mess and the politicians do not want to go near it.

I haven't posted or read over there in a while, pretty much since I found this forum and I havn't been mtbing much in the past year. You post made me remember the old political rants and it just had the right flair so I went and checked and found the exact post.... I always thought you sn looked familiar.

Too funny! What's your screen name over there?

Sure, but the point is the purchasing agents do not care if you use illegals. Enforcing the immigration law is not their jobs. The IRS does not care either as long as they get the taxes paid. There is even a way to get pseudo social security numbers from the IRS for those employees who do not have a proper SSN. This is just a complete mess and the politicians do not want to go near it.

+1 I'm pretty sure they were just below the next lowest bidder any ways. The owner at the leather company I'm sure had a pretty hefty profit margin. But win308 is right it would have been nearly impossible for the person securing the contract to know that illegals were making the product.

Good to know the old base is being put to a good use. [smile]

Yes it is. Everytime we are down in that neck of the woods we drive through Devens. We look to see if they are doing anything with the intel school. They've done alot with Devens. We are surprised everytime we go through there. Just miss the tanks and such at the gates though.[sad2]

AFAIK, yes the kids become US Citizens upon birth, get SSNs (legit) and all.

Then the mother can request staying here in the US to care for the child. AFAIK this is always granted!

System sucks!

CSS3339.jpg

"I was leeching freedom, healthcare, public schooling, and I wasn't contributing a dime to anything..."

[rofl2] I don't feel one ounce of sorry for her...

now they need to find out where they all lived and get the rest of their families and deport them all together. There will be lots of apartments for rent in new bedford pretty soon.....

How is the crime rate in New Bedford any ways? I don't know that area.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say it's probably a bit high?

now they need to find out where they all lived and get the rest of their families and deport them all together. There will be lots of apartments for rent in new bedford pretty soon.....

The local housing projects and slums next door to crack houses here always have vacancy. [smile]

They will be "Flown out of the Country"?

Yea First Class Champange flight sponsored by US the US Taxpayers.

Whats wrong with putting them all on a Slow Boat to China? Here I think I have some extra Postage

pow-postage.jpg

Back
Top Bottom