• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

i'm a ruger redhawk fan and not ashamed to say it.

greencobra

NES Member
there is something about those redhawks...they get me excited just looking at one. a stainless redhawk with factory ruger walnut grips is one of the most beautiful revolvers ever made. and besides just looking pretty, the redhawk is an unbelievably accurate revolver as well. it sure will shoot tight, off hand groups at 25 yards if the shooter dies their part. i'm not just saying that, it will out of the box. it sounds like i own dozens of these pistols but unfortunately i don't. i just have 3... a 7.5" .44 mag, a 5.5" .357 mag and lastly, a .45 colt/.45 acp with a 4.2" barrel. it had the round grip also.

i took possession of the 45 colt/45 acp just when they came out, around 2015 i think. and that was the crappiest revolver i ever touched. she had issues. it went back 3 times and finally it came back on the third try working like a champ. i had waited on this revolver for months. while others gave up, i persevered. i was rewarded with a super revolver.

all my redhawks are fun to shoot. i don't hunt any more, just punch paper.

so you know next i'm gonna ask if anyone else shares my enthusiasm for the redhawk series of revolvers, i'd like to hear about it. anyone have one of those huge caliber, short barreled alaskan redhawks? those are pretty neat. anyone hunt with a super redhawk? i'd be interested in hearing about them also, i'm sure some of the others would be interested as well. what do you think guys, a little write up of your experiences or impressions.

I don't own any RedHawks, but I do have a few Super Blackhawks, something about a single action in the classic big bore revolver cartridges that just does it for me. I also have an Ruger Old Army BP revolver that I do enjoy taking out.

Redhawk, Blackhawk, Skyhawk, don't know what the hell it was but a few decades ago a friend let me shoot his .44 Magnum. Sumbich always pointed to the sky every time I dropped the hammer. Hahaha--fun as hell but I never desired to own anything that would abuse me. Except wives, of course, which also left me pointing to the sky in most cases.

Single actions fricken rock. Just like boobs, they may not ALL be gorgeous, but none of 'em are ugly.

That 44 carbine is pristine looking. Is the stock original?

I have one but the last owner definitely hunted with it lots of wear on the stock. Sweet shooters.
Yes, it is. That rifle for the first 30 yrs, or so, of its life damn near took a deer a year. Then i got it. [rofl]It doesn't get out as much since Ruger stopped manufacturing parts for it.

Redhawk, Blackhawk, Skyhawk, don't know what the hell it was but a few decades ago a friend let me shoot his .44 Magnum. Sumbich always pointed to the sky every time I dropped the hammer. Hahaha--fun as hell but I never desired to own anything that would abuse me. Except wives, of course, which also left me pointing to the sky in most cases.

Single actions fricken rock. Just like boobs, they may not ALL be gorgeous, but none of 'em are ugly.
Funny thing about women.......they are all different.......until you turn em upside down then they all look like sisters.

I have the super Alaskan in 454 casull. I love it but I can take the punishment. It looks like a bulldog, kicks like a bronco, and has the power of its namesake big block. You don't go out and shoot 150 rounds with it - more like 15-25 per session. Plus you can load up 45 Colt which feel lhotter then 44 special but not as hot as 44 mag. And you know it will take down anything that walks anywhere on this earth.

Highly recommend picking up a Magnum Research BFR in 44, 454, or 500 JRH. They are only a hair more than a new Redhawk and excellent shooters.

I have two SRH in 454, one was smooth out of the box, the other one is rough. I have plans to chop the barrel and slick up the action someday...

Highly recommend picking up a Magnum Research BFR in 44, 454, or 500 JRH. They are only a hair more than a new Redhawk and excellent shooters.

I have two SRH in 454, one was smooth out of the box, the other one is rough. I have plans to chop the barrel and slick up the action someday...
I personally like the BFR in 45-70. It's hard hitting but the recoil is remarkably tame.

I've never seen a revolver that better illustrated the "f*** it, good enough" school of design than the Super Redhawk. Or did they let the accountants design that one? Whatever happened, ugliest revolver ever.
I've said it before.....I'll say it again.....the srh looks like a snub nose wheel gun with a boner.

ruger-super-redhawk-44-magnum-75in-stainless-revolver-6-rounds-301887-1.jpg

So what's the verdict on the Ruger made Marlin's? I want a 336 in 30/30 to keep my 94 company but the used prices I'm seeing make me just want to buy a new one.

So what's the verdict on the Ruger made Marlin's? I want a 336 in 30/30 to keep my 94 company but the used prices I'm seeing make me just want to buy a new one.
From what I've seen and heard they are good to go. Ruger, purely from manufacturing standpoint, is one of the best in the industry. It may not have the same exact feel as an old Marlin, but most anything made by Ruger is going to be functional and well made.

+2

The BFR is awesome. Great quality and excellent customer service.

However, I am disappointed they don't have one in 458 Win Mag or LOTT. So I bought an Encore for that.

Well, Ruger scope rings rather than mounts, but they do eliminate the need for a mount.

iu

I agree with @greencobra on the Ruger Redhawk. I have always wanted one in each caliber but mostly .45LC and .41Mag. I keep an eye on them on Gunbroker, the differences between some of the dealers is amazing. Someday, before I die, I will get one... then again maybe not.

I'd like a 41 Redhawk, but they're now priced out of my interest zone. I passed up on one years ago (long enough ago there was a gun shop in Northampton), and haven't seen another in person since.

Just when I thought the Super Redhawk was as ugly as it could get, I find at some point TALO had Ruger build them even uglier than stock:

pix448850002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom