interesting walmart sale

Yes, he was RIGHT and you were wrong.

MGLs PROHIBITS the sale of pistol ammo to anyone under age 21 and without a LTC.

MGLs ALLOWS the sale of RIFLE ammo to anyone >18 and with an FID card (or LTC if >21).

Anyone with FID that owns a Ruger PC40, it's a .40S&W carbine, can buy .40S&W with just an FID card legally.

I am not aware of any .380 long guns, but something may exist out there.

It is a dumb law, but it is our dumb law! [rolleyes]

I was shocked by Walmart in Salem, NH when they asked me for my license...and after I gave them my MA drv lic they wanted my MA LTC! I told them my MA LTC isn't valid in NH and showed him my NH NR lic....they wouldn't sell me ammo without a MA LTC!

ahhhh. Wow i feel bad now. Im going to have to read up on mass gun laws and see where it says this. I did mention to him that technically i could have a rare or built 40 cal rifle, and could just say that. So is it as long as i say i own a rifle that is chambered in (insert comon handgun caliber here) then they are ok to sell? Thanks for the clarification Len, and Ill have to stop being such a kno it all.

i cant find anything in the mass gun laws that speicifies what ammunition can be bought with an FID. Everything I have read just says ammunition, not handgun ammo, rifle ammo,etc. Im not doubting that it exist, but if someone could point me in the right direction to find this...

...So is it as long as i say i own a rifle that is chambered in (insert comon handgun caliber here) then they are ok to sell? ...

Please don't try to skirt the law and get yourself into trouble.
A firearms related conviction is a LIFE SENTENCE.
It will follow you in every state to the end of your days.
Do the right thing for the next year and then get your LTC.

Jack

i wouldnt try to beat the law and certainly dont want to get in trouble, and wont bother asking for it anymore... Just goes to show how much confusion there is with mass gun laws....

Hang in there until your next birthday, stay out of trouble, get your FID upgraded to a proper LTC and celebrate by buying all the ammo you can afford. It may seem like a long time but in reality it's just a blink of an eye.

In the meantime enjoy those things a 20-year old can enjoy that us (ahem) 'older' folks can't anymore...like college girls...

Mass dealers will not sell ammo to people with NH LTC either.
Its Perverse![sad]

It's a federal law for a dealer to sell handgun ammo to a person under the age of 21 (unless the intended use is for a longarm).

(F6) Does a customer have to be a certain age to buy firearms or ammunition from a licensee? [Back]

Yes. Under the GCA, long guns and long gun ammunition may be sold only to persons 18 years of age or older. Sales of handguns and ammunition for handguns are limited to persons 21 years of age and older. Although some State and local ordinances have lower age requirements, dealers are bound by the minimum age requirements established by the GCA. If State law or local ordinances establish a higher minimum age, the dealer must observe the higher age requirement.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#f6

(F7) May a licensee sell interchangeable ammunition such as .22 cal. rimfire to a person less than 21 years old? [Back]

Yes, provided the buyer is 18 years of age or older, and the dealer is satisfied that it is for use in a rifle. If the ammunition is intended for use in a handgun, the 21-year-old minimum age requirement is applicable.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]

(In states that have a lower age for possession of a handgun and/or ammo, it's legal for non-dealers to sell a handgun and/or ammo to
a person younger than 21).

Last edited:
Mass dealers will not sell ammo to people with NH LTC either.
Its Perverse![sad]

Uhh, well, that would be because their permit is worthless in MA,
unfortunately.

Actually, even an MA non-resident permit is worthless in MA for
buying ammo.... very ABSURD but true.

-Mike

Umm, why would you want to buy ammo in mASSachusetts instead of NH and have to pay taxes on it?---Firetarr
Bad planning.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Out of idle curiousity I wondered what would happen if I owned one of those lever action carbines chambered for .38/357 cartridges and didn't have a LTC. I guess it's the honor system as the only way to prove I was buying for that and not for a handgun would be to bring the rifle in for inspection. That would probably cause a stir.

While we're speaking of stupid laws, I had to buy both a lock and a case yesterday when I bought a new rifle at KTP. Since I wasn't really planning to buy anything, I didn't bring either with me.

Arrgghhh.

Gary

It is a dumb law, but it is our dumb law!

I know the actual answer is "get an LTC as soon as you can", and that there is an interplay between Federal law and MA law at work here, but nevertheless, I want to bring up a couple things.

As for Federal law and ammunition for typical handgun calibers, I don't think that one must own a long gun in the handgun caliber -- one only must have the intention of using it in a long gun. That is, if you're planning to go shooting with a friend who has a 9mm carbine you can buy 9mm. You're probably okay if you have a standing invitation to shoot with a friend or relative who does have a 9mm carbine.

As for the state law comment/question. Has anybody done deep enough research to know about this situation: Say someone, over 21, only has an FID (and to make it easier, has no disqualifications for an LTC) -- doesn't make sense, but is possible. Is this person at some peril in owning typical handgun ammuntion?
I'm looking for more than the simple answer of "everyone with a gun in MA is at some peril - they wrote the laws the way they did just so that you would be."

A guy I hunt with was challenaged while buying ammo for his rifle. Since he only has a FID and his rifle is chambered in a hundgun caliber, he had to come back with the rifle. Them are the rules.[thinking]

Thanks
Kurt

Understandable

Umm, because it would cost me more in gas and time to get up to NH to buy it than I would pay in the taxes...[rolleyes]

No offense, thought Gene was from NH. I was just wondering out loud why a citizen from NH would WANT to buy ammo(or anything for that matter) from mASSachusetts unless he absolutely had to. Believe me, I now live in Maine and I understand tax burden[sad].

There is a simple question that they are supposed to ask: Pistol or Rifle.

Depending on how you answer, they are supposed to sell or not.

There is NO requirement to produce the rifle, proof or ownership, etc.

They can also refuse to sell ammo to anyone they don't want to sell to (barring Fed laws on discrimination)!

Yes, you can legally buy pistol caliber ammo to shoot your buddy's rifle with only an FID card. If clerk gets suspicious, s/he can refuse the sale too.

Best just to answer the question SIMPLY, with a ONE WORD ANSWER. No long stories (makes folks suspicious) and no folder of documentation.

No law that I know of (but IANAL) that would allow prosecution of someone 18-20 with an FID found with pistol ammo.

In NH, near the border, Wal-Mart Corporate has ordered the clerks to demand a MA LTC/FID! It's not a legal requirement at all, just a store rule.

I NEVER show my MA LTC in NH. I show my NH Permit and the clerk in the Hudson, NH store goes a bit nuts, but I stand my ground. Once he asked me "don't you have a MA permit" and I answered "yes, but I'm in NH, thus I show you my NH permit as ID"!

What if I intend to buy on the border and shoot it in NH? No need for any ammo/gun permits then. [smile]

I NEVER show my MA LTC in NH. I show my NH Permit and the clerk in the Hudson, NH store goes a bit nuts, but I stand my ground. Once he asked me "don't you have a MA permit" and I answered "yes, but I'm in NH, thus I show you my NH permit as ID"!
Wal-Mart in Rochester and Somersworth,NH have questioned me on this a few times. I won't show them my MA LTC either. I informed them that no state would issue a NR LTC without someone having one in their home state first. One guy said he couldn't sell to me until I showed him my MA permit. I told him I was going to use all the ammo in Maine and showed him my ME. permit. That must of been good enough for him because he rang my order up.

Best just to answer the question SIMPLY, with a ONE WORD ANSWER. No long stories (makes folks suspicious) and no folder of documentation.
Although it confuses the hell out of them when you say "both" (I was buying .22LR).

In NH, near the border, Wal-Mart Corporate has ordered the clerks to demand a MA LTC/FID! It's not a legal requirement at all, just a store rule.

Len, how would they even KNOW you're from MA unless you tell them? Do you have to show some kind of ID in NH to buy ammo?

The other option is just to go to a regular gunstore. Some of the
NH tramlaws are asking for way too much info, that isn't
required.

The policy may have changed, but when I went to the Rindge, NH
walmart all they wanted was a drivers license, to prove I was
"of age".

Normal gun stores in NH almost never ask for ID, unless you look
too young to buy ammo.

Once you turn 21 and get an LTC life will become a lot
easier, however. (well, unless you run into one of those walmart
clerks that doesnt know what the hell an LTC is!)

-Mike

Ooohhh....So did I break the law when I brought my father in law some handgun ammo from NH (he lives in CT)?

Why would that be the case? (Unless your possession of said ammo
was illegal in CT, but I don't think even they regulate ammo down
there, but am not 100% sure... )

It would only be a real issue federally if your FIL was under 21... and
if that is the case, I don't want to know about it. [shocked][laugh]

-Mike

pipmaster, before you admit something like that on the INTERNET, it might be wise to ask a 'hypothetical" question in regard to that matter, before you post that you have done so.

I don't think it matters in this case, but you should be careful what you write in a forum that is available to Law Enforcement and our Attorney General.

There is a simple question that they are supposed to ask: Pistol or Rifle.

Depending on how you answer, they are supposed to sell or not.

There is NO requirement to produce the rifle, proof or ownership, etc.

They can also refuse to sell ammo to anyone they don't want to sell to (barring Fed laws on discrimination)!

Yes, you can legally buy pistol caliber ammo to shoot your buddy's rifle with only an FID card. If clerk gets suspicious, s/he can refuse the sale too.

No law that I know of (but IANAL) that would allow prosecution of someone 18-20 with an FID found with pistol ammo.

What if I intend to buy on the border and shoot it in NH? No need for any ammo/gun permits then. [smile]

If you really want to befuddle them tell them it's for a submachine gun. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom