Is a FAL or HK91 necessary for my collection???

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I have no idea why this happens to me but I just start getting this feeling like I need a particular weapon for my collection. I usually feed that need as it's easier then ignoring it. This time though I'm wondering if it's just overkill to get one or both of these. I already have a RockRiver LAR-8 (AR-10 Clone) as well as a SA Loaded M1A and a dead on reliable FN Special Police bolt rifle all in 308.

So the question really becomes are these rifles actually worth getting and adding into the collection? Would seem out of the two the HK is the cheaper option, but have ready many posts on the likability of the delayed blow back recoil. The FAL seems much more expensive with a lot of complaints about the cheek weld fitting of the butt stock and more expensive mags.

Do you have one, or both, of these and if you had to do it again would you buy the same rifle again. HK or FAL?

Yes, I know this has been discussed before but the most relevant post was back in 2011. Looking for some fresher opinions.

Overall, mostly plinker and range gun. Without having one, but would most likely go in another direction for a real SHTF gun.

IMHO I'd take the money you were going to waste on this and use it to buy ammo to feed the other .308s you already have. The price of that stuff is only going to go up. This sounds like an impulse buy, and an impulse buy is stupid, unless you just have money to burn, in which case you should obviously just buy both.

-Mike

If you do go with one or the other do your homework on the particular model or version you get, assuming you're talking about getting a clone. Part of the beauty of these rifles is their reliability and some of the clones fall well short of the originals in that regard.

Real Fn Fal' s and HK rifle have gone up in value and are still going up in value..
As an example I bought a NIB Galil 308 ARM back in 1998 or so for 1K and sold it about 5 years ago for 4500.00 that is what I call a good profit.

So do you need a Fn fal or a HK 91 in your collection, that depends on a few factors.
Do you want original fn's and HK's or do you want clones...and are you wanting these as shooters or an investment?

I still kick myself in the ass for passing on a HK91 a long time ago. It was sitting in a rack and I figured (wrong) that it would still be there in a day.

No way would I buy one today unless it was $1250 and mint.

An HK91 is grossly overpriced. My son has one and I have a tricked out CETME....they shoot similarly and feel similar, with the HK91 winning out on both (of course). I guess it's all about what you want to spend your money on.

Coming off your last sentence about shtf

Would i want a FAL, yes, i like the looks of it as well as the ergos. But...

Would you rather sell your m1a or AR-10 and get a SCAR 17 and supplies with the money you are planning on buying one of these two?

You still would have long range precison covered by the bolt action..

Last edited:
I've got two FALs that I built a few years back when kits were available for <$200 and Imbel gear logo receivers could be had for $350. They are super nice rifles. The problem today is like everything else, the price has skyrocketed. Kits have dried up and the last gear logo receiver I saw was going for $525.

DSA and Coonan have receivers available but they are cast not forged like the Imbels. Some of the members of falfiles (some of which eat, drink and sleep FALs) say that cast works just fine in this application, which is probably true, I've never seen a FAL receiver kaboom.
But just the same, I'm glad that mine are forged.

I've got two FALs that I built a few years back when kits were available for <$200 and Imbel gear logo receivers could be had for $350. They are super nice rifles. The problem today is like everything else, the price has skyrocketed. Kits have dried up and the last gear logo receiver I saw was going for $525.

DSA and Coonan have receivers available but they are cast not forged like the Imbels. Some of the members of falfiles (some of which eat, drink and sleep FALs) say that cast works just fine in this application, which is probably true, I've never seen a FAL receiver kaboom.
But just the same, I'm glad that mine are forged.
I stopped buying kits about two years ago when the barrel import ban went into effect. The prices went up and the quality of what you got went down. A FAL was on my list but I didn't find one soon enough before the prices rose above what I was willing to pay

I always lusted after an FAL. With the lower prices of AR-10s lately, I have gotten over it. Save the money and buy more .308.

I always lusted after an FAL. With the lower prices of AR-10s lately, I have gotten over it.

All you need to do is pick the two of them up to appreciate the difference.
There is a reason that the FAL is called the right arm of the free world and has been adopted by almost 100 countries as their main battle rifle.

You can never have enough guns. If you feel an itch, you've got the scratch it! Besides, if you change your mind down the road, you can more than likely sell the gun for more than you paid which equals money in the bank.

I'd like an HK-91, just because I had a chance to shoot an HK-91 with a registered sear. Full-auto .308 battle rifle is pointless, but still a giggle. With the current cost of .308, a .308 rifle that mangles its brass the way an HK-91 does isn't terribly practical, though.

I've got an AR-10, M1A loaded, and a FAL. Out of those, I'd put the FAL last.

A lot of fan boys say the FAL is great because of the adjustable gas system. They claim that the adjustable gas system makes it better because you can adjust it. What they don't tell you is that if you adjust it wrong, you can turn your FAL into an awkward club. I know, because I've done it.

I'm the dolt who didn't follow the directions and adjusted it wrong. Without enough gas going to the piston, the bolt carrier will short cycle and the cartridge case won't be fully extracted. In my case, the cartridge case got jammed between the bolt carrier and the dust cover. It was jammed in hard enough that I couldn't cycle the charging handle. And without the bolt carrier able to go forward, I couldn't unlock the upper from the lower. And without being able to unlock the upper from the lower, I couldn't remove the dust cover.

If you adjust the gas system the other way -- put too much gas to the bolt carrier -- that can be just as bad. With too much gas pressure the gun will cycle too fast and call pull the head off the cartridge case, leaving the rest of the cartridge case in the chamber. If you don't have a cartridge case extractor tool, you're screwed.

Now, is adjusting the FAL gas system "hard"? No. Here it is:

Operation 1: Unscrew the regulator sleeve from the gas block until it is in the fully open position with “7” visible on top. After inserting an empty magazine into the rifle, single load a cartridge through the ejection port and then fire the rifle. This should result in a short recoil that does not allow the magazine to engage the hold-open device.

Operation 2: Screw the regulator sleeve forward click-by-click, firing one round after each change until the action is locked open by the empty magazine. At this point, you know enough gas is being allowed against the piston to cycle the action.

Operation 3: Fire several more rounds in this method to verify it will reliably cycle the action fully.

Operation 4: If any shot results in a short recoil failing to lock the action open, click the regulator forward one more setting and test again.

Operation 5: Repeat operations 3 and 4 as needed until the rifle cycles reliably.

Operation 6: The correct gas setting should now be determined. However, it is a good idea to click the regulator forward two more settings. For example, if you found that setting “4” cycled the rifle, click two more positions down. Counting the half-position setting between “4” and “3,” this would put you on the “3” setting.

On the other hand, here is the M1A's procedure for adjusting the gas system:

Yup, you don't have to adjust the M1A's gas system -- it just works. Sometimes simple is better than more complicated.

As for how the gun shoots, I find that the FAL trigger is pretty horrendous and the sights are primitive. The FAL receiver is quite long, putting my support hand way out there. It just isn't comfortable to shoot offhand.

In contrast, the M1A has a great trigger, fabulous sights, and balances nicely. It just feels right in my hand.

If you want to scope your .308, the AR-10 variants are better for that.

- - - Updated - - -

All you need to do is pick the two of them up to appreciate the difference.
There is a reason that the FAL is called the right arm of the free world and has been adopted by almost 100 countries as their main battle rifle.

I own both an AR-10 and a FAL. If forced to choose between the two, I'd take the AR-10 every day and twice on Sunday.

A lot of fan boys say the FAL is great because of the adjustable gas system. They claim that the adjustable gas system makes it better because you can adjust it. What they don't tell you is that if you adjust it wrong, you can turn your FAL into an awkward club. I know, because I've done it.
I'm the dolt who didn't follow the directions and adjusted it wrong.

As for how the gun shoots, I find that the FAL trigger is pretty horrendous and the sights are primitive.

It seems that you answered your own question regarding the gas system. I adjusted mine the first day I test drove it and have not had to touch it since.
I don't know who's trigger you are using, but I have an FSE in one and a DSA in the other. The FSE worked perfect right out of the box, the DSA did require a little tuning, but they are both very nice triggers.

It seems that you answered your own question regarding the gas system. I adjusted mine the first day I test drove it and have not had to touch it since.

I didn't adjust my M1A gas system and I haven't had to touch it since. [wink]

I don't know who's trigger you are using, but I have an FSE in one and a DSA in the other. The FSE worked perfect right out of the box, the DSA did require a little tuning, but they are both very nice triggers.

Mine is a DSA trigger.

still say go get a scar instead [pot][mg][smile]

I'd love to get a SCAR. Only problem is the low $2k price tag with proprietary 20rnd mags that are costly. I also don't get why FNH builds the civilian version in Belgium, deliberately neuters them to meet 911 then has the USA factory un-neuter them so 911 doesn't come into affect. Just build them in the US and bypass all that hassle.

As to real FAL or HKs, I'd love to get a real one but like the SCAR they are not cheap. I know I'll not take a chance with a CETME, but maybe another clone will work. The PTR even starts at $1K.

I need a FAL. No reason necessary. I also need one, or maybe a few, of everything ever made. Latest toy, an early Beretta 950B. Why? Well, it has that cool tip up barrel, and fits in a back pocket. [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom