Is a FAL or HK91 necessary for my collection???

Counters with the FAL used in this movie scene, same movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpNzlh5ALRA

still say go get a scar instead [pot][mg][smile]

I agree, go SCAR. Whenever i get the dough, i will own one.

I had the HK91, bought it on an impulse buy during the scare, ended up selling it, just didn't float my boat. I always wanted the FAL more, i feel like id still have the FAL if i bought that instead of the HK.

Trick question, Jack or do you really not know?

I really had no clue, I hadn't taken a close look at this gun yet... but!!! I have it next to me right now along with the manual I can't seem to find.... and I'm gonna bone up on this baby...

M14 for me.

I've seen your M14's.... you inspired me to get my 1st one... can you post a few pics here...

Of the M14, the FAL and the HK91 I think the HK is definitely the least pleasant to actually shoot (the M14 wins there), but something about its violent dependability makes it all worthwhile. I've had thoughts of selling mine over the years but I'm glad I haven't gone through with it.

No. And you might not want one. .308 has a lot more recoil than .223. The weight helps reduce the felt recoil.

All of these .308s are pretty big, heavy guns.
Thats the reason i went with a heavy 308:) reduced recoil, along with a limb saver

I do love the m14 as an iron sighted rifle or scout model with red dot .

From what i have read alot of people dump money into it to try to get it to compete with the accuracy level of an AR 10.. then usually give up

Reason to love the scar.. its super light, barrel is skinny but somehow very very accurate as a DMR. Recoil is nice and light for a 308.. i do not like the muzzle brake though.

I own the sig 716 DMR and love everything about it except the ar style of charging handle, i much prefer an AK style side charging handle.

And anyone on the south east coast is more than welcome to come shoot the sig 716.. its a nice piston driven 308 And a beast at making small groups with good ammo. Facory target was .47 moa. Me being a newbie at the long range gun game. Im not that good though

Of the M14, the FAL and the HK91 I think the HK is definitely the least pleasant to actually shoot (the M14 wins there), but something about its violent dependability makes it all worthwhile. I've had thoughts of selling mine over the years but I'm glad I haven't gone through with it.

I would disagree here...
iME..
Recoil, HK least, m1 then FAL.
Accuracy, standard rack grade, best m1a, then hk then FAL
Trigger best m1, then hk and then a really long way to the FAL.
Iron sites, best m1a, tie hk and FAL.
Ergonomics, best m1a, toss up after that.
Reliability, FAL, m1 then hk.
Eats everything ammo, FAL, then toss up

Adding scope.. They all suck, m1a sucks a little less. Unless you add the hk sniper stock.. And that costs a fortune..

Just my take on it...

Get a PTR 91. They're built just as well as the HK's, and they have a lifetime warranty on the internals. Many models to choose from and mags are the cheapest for any rifle too
Here's mine. I just put a port buffer on it and brass is now totally reloadable.
CXZcAdq.jpg

What's the obsession with SCARs, it seems like not an ideal design, it's really expensive, and in Mass at least you can't utilize a major feature, the folding stock, and tehre are no pre-bans.

Its lightweight, comes with a decent trigger, it's reliable, and isnt a piece of shit. Anyone dumping 2700 on SCAR btw doesn't care about massisms.

-Mike

You can mod fal mags.
Folding stocks get boring .

Is it really 7.9 lb? that seems really light. $3000 rifle = divorce though. [laugh]

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone dumping 2700 on SCAR btw doesn't care about massisms.
-Mike

I get why you might ignore the mass laws, but why would it be price dependent?

That's amazing. I could never go that many rounds without cleaning my FAL. It has sentimental value for me though. And honestly I couldn't afford to shoot mine that often!

Even if he got his .308 at .40 per round - he still spent $5400. I hope the guy has a reloading rig.

- - - Updated - - -

So between M1A, FAL, HK91, AR-10, SCAR (what else, Sig 716?) what should one get if you can only get one .308?

Boston T. Party says get the M1A.

Its lightweight, comes with a decent trigger, it's reliable, and isnt a piece of shit. Anyone dumping 2700 on SCAR btw doesn't care about massisms.

-Mike

IF the SHTF comes - you're going to want a reliable rifle. You can train for years on 10 round mags - and again, if SHTF comes you're not going to worry about getting nailed for "large capacity" mags.

And besides - if things ever get bad enough that you need to be carrying around a battle rifle - the first thing you should do is get the hell out of MA and head north.

Just because you want it is a good enough reason.

That is usually where I land. [smile]

Well, that sounds great but, do you think his wife will buy that? [rofl]

Actually I couldn't be luckier in that dept. My wife loves the guns. Her favorite is my hi-point 9mm carbine. [laugh] Some time around the beginning of dec. she asked me if I wanted a silencer for christmas. Ya I know, "silencer", her wording not mine. She didn't know how lengthy of a process that is. My reloading bench is in my living room. [laugh] I shit you not, it really is.

I really had no clue, I hadn't taken a close look at this gun yet... but!!! I have it next to me right now along with the manual I can't seem to find.... and I'm gonna bone up on this baby...

I've seen your M14's.... you inspired me to get my 1st one... can you post a few pics here...

Well, the HK has no gas system. It has a delayed roller block back system. The charging tube does make it look like it has a piston though...doesn't it.

My M14s...one is even an M1A [wink]

...and the NATO brethren...

I'm planning to build another M14...actually, a Rock-Ola M21.

Thanks Mike, those look great.. so I watched a good vid on Youtube for the take down of the 91... looks pretty easy... found my owners manual, again.... very simple.. I look forward to a little range time now..

Thanks Mike, those look great.. so I watched a good vid on Youtube for the take down of the 91... looks pretty easy... found my owners manual, again.... very simple.. I look forward to a little range time now..

Yes, they disassemble pretty easily. The cocking handle can put up a fight when reassembling because you have to juggle keeping the spring compressed while attempting to drift the pin in place. The bolt head/locking piece trips up some people but once you do it once it's a snap.

Meh. The AR10 is probably a better gun than the HK anyway. The FAL and HK weigh like 100 pounds. Unless you have the money to be a pure collector and are buying investment guns I don't see the attraction.

Back
Top Bottom