• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is this barrel bulged? Model 52

whacko

NES Member
Picked up a midel 52 from a gunbroker purchase. Took possession today at my ffl. Gun looks pristine but I'm worried about the barrel. Put in a cleaning rod with a patch amd jag.....goes in tight then gets easy then goes in tight.

Fml

Can you all see that? Even the outside of the barrel feels a bulge in the center.

20240131_153522.jpg

Picked up a midel 52 from a gunbroker purchase. Took possession today at my ffl. Gun looks pristine but I'm worried about the barrel. Put in a cleaning rod with a patch amd jag.....goes in tight then gets easy then goes in tight.

Fml

Can you all see that? Even the outside of the barrel feels a bulge in the center.

View attachment 845400
Did you get a great deal on it 😬😬

I see a shadow there, if that's what you're referring to. Can you put a straightedge along the outside of the barrel and see if you you can rock it back and forth over the "bulge" to see if there really is a bulge there?

Frank

technically yes. Does what I'm describing sound like a bulge? Can u see the pic?

I emailed the seller......
Barrel pics are tough but it does look like a bulge.
Probably not uncommon with 38 target wadcutter loads. Hard to see the pinch of powder in there and someone made a squib.

Know anyone local with a bore scope?

How did it shoot? Any lead build up in that bulge?

Barrel pics are tough but it does look like a bulge.
Probably not uncommon with 38 target wadcutter loads. Hard to see the pinch of powder in there and someone made a squib.

Know anyone local with a bore scope?

How did it shoot? Any lead build up in that bulge?
Haven't shot it yet. Kinda worried about it being safe. I don't see cracks. It's not bulged so bad that it won't pass thru the bushing and I don't see any marks on the barrel that indicate that it's rubbing on the bushing.

When running my hand over the outside of the barrel I cam feel an ever so slight bulge.

Safe to test out?

At this point I've read a few articles on the interwebs that say test it.....if it shoots accurately don't worry about it. When communicating with the seller he said it shoots accurately......I'll test tomorrow amd see what I've got.

I have a ruger blackhawk 357 with a big patch of rust near the muzzle that is Lazer accurate. Who knows.....maybe this one will shoot fine.

The slide cycles smooth as butter even past the bushing so it may not be that bad. I've already read posts on model 52s bulges so bad they bind up on the bushing or can't even be disassembled. So maybe I'm ok

I'd be pissed off, but I'm pretty sure you can get new barrels for those. If I liked the gun enough, I'd see if the seller would be willing to kick in for a new barrel.

That’s what I was gonna say I’d shoot it. Then you know if it even matters so nice to have an actual threat about something other than stupidity.
Will have to wait till tomorrow night. Gonna be a long day tomorrow worrying about it. I'm not a big spender when it comes to my guns......been Heming and hawing about buying one of these for 2 years. I finally pull the trigger on one and.....++sigh++

The problem with letting it go without some kind of financial remedy is this: im going to assume you bought it, and paid a price, based on a working pistol in original (?) condition.
Now you can't sell it without disclosing the bulged barrel. It won't, and shouldn't bring the same price you paid for it.

The problem with letting it go without some kind of financial remedy is this: im going to assume you bought it, and paid a price, based on a working pistol in original (?) condition.
Now you can't sell it without disclosing the bulged barrel. It won't, and shouldn't bring the same price you paid for it.
I don't disagree with you. The seller description on gunbroker made no mention of a bulged barrel. There was a photo of inside the bore but all the picture shows is a clean bore......and it is clean no rust or leading at all but you can't see a bulge from a photo. I'm waiting his response to my email.

I'm reading lots of bullseye league forums that say these 52s can still shoot fine with a slight bulge.....but your right.....the value dropped the moment I proved the bulge with my micrometer.

Get a fluorescent light tube. Those are very straight. Put it next to barrel at points of interest and observe. Optionally you can also roll the barrel (if shape is suitable) on piece of glass

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom