ISO the 'right' scope for a Marlin 70 PSS

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I'm looking for a 4x scope (variable works too). The fun reason is for plinking and the practical side is for my survival kit, although I don't plan on being lost in the snowy woods just yet [wink].

At this time, I want something ~$80. Idk if I'm being impractical?

A friend recommended this baby at wallyworld:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10248654

But he's the kind who usually talks about more than he knows [frown].

Thanks and have a merry Christmas!

Generally you get what you pay for. That scope might be fine for short range informal plinking, but you should consider a reputable name brand like Leupold, Burris, etc.

Check out The Sample List for some good deals if money is tight.

I don't have any good glass of my own at the moment, so I'll leave personal recommendations for the other guys, but optics is not something to skimp on.

Just get the 4x Simmons or BSA at Dick's and be done with it then. Of course, iron sights are acceptable as well. Maybe a little training (see Appleseed threads) would be a better place to start.

If you are looking for a quality, low cost 4x scope I would recommend Pentax or Weaver. Both are in the $100.00+ range, but are good scopes.

Thanks guys. I don't want to spend too much much on a scope cause I'm saving to get a Sig P229. I know that's chump change to most of you folks, but I'm still in school and don't wanna ask my Father for the $.

I did read up on the correct techniques to fire a rifle with iron sights, but things don't go to well for me past 75 yards. Maybe its the caliber, maybe its because I'm not taking wind etc into account (don't see how I can with iron sights), or maybe I just suck. The bottom line is: anything over $100 is too much. When I get a larger caliber rifle in a few years, I might invest in a scope.

I know you said over $100 is too much, but this is only a little over. [wink] So far, the best bang for my buck has been the Mueller APV:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=119797

$109 with the C&R discount, $115 without. Gets you variable zoom, and decent glass for not a lot of money. I have one mounted on one of my Ruger 10/22 and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I'm of the adage, buy once and be done with it. Even if it means you save up for another week/month, whatever, get something that you'll ultimately be happy with so you don't spend the money twice.

Also, a .22LR past 75 yards with iron sights is getting a little bit silly in terms of effective range, IMO, so I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about that. Practice with the iron sights at 25 yards with the Appleseed targets, which simulate silhouettes out to 400 meters. Check the appleseed threads in the training forum for more info on that.

A friend (a rimfire competitive shooter) recommended Sightron for a low-price scope. I got one (variable), and I have to say, it's pretty darned good for the buck.

Thanks for all the great comments.

I am seriously considering Sightrons. Any idea on how much it would cost to mount one? (Rings? or something else?)

Also anyone ever used the one from wally world that I linked to in the first post? I'd like some inputs about that scope as well, cause in order to spend $150 I'll have to wait until March maybe.

Merry Christmas all! [smile]

Thanks for all the great comments.

I am seriously considering Sightrons. Any idea on how much it would cost to mount one? (Rings? or something else?)

Also anyone ever used the one from wally world that I linked to in the first post? I'd like some inputs about that scope as well, cause in order to spend $150 I'll have to wait until March maybe.

Merry Christmas all! [smile]

The 70 PSS has a "Receiver grooved for scope mount," according to Marlin.

So that's gonna be a standard US 3/8" rimfire groove mount. Get a scope with 1" tube and there are tons of rings to mount it. You can go with rings from $9 to $TOO_MUCH on that. At the low end, there's stuff like B-Square 1" Sport Utility 22 rings - solid, heavy, rimfire standard. At the higher end (oh, you can go more expensive, too...), there's Burris quick-detach rings. QD rings are nice, depending on whether you want to have the option to take off the scope and reattach with only a little re-zeroing necessary. You could also get see-through rings to get the best of both worlds. Anyhow, I wouldn't spend $80 on rings for a $110 rimfire scope - total overkill.

I had a 70pss and I wanted a scope that would fit in the bag that came with the gun. It's a special bag that will float with the gun in it. I found the only thing that fit well was a cheap tasco 3-9x20 rimfire scope. since I only shot it at 50yds it worked well for me. The whole point of the thing is it's a survival rifle and I don't think I'd be taking small game with a 22 beyond 50 yds anyway. I thought you might want to consider the size of the scope if you plan on using the bag. It would be a problem if you had to remove the scope to stow the gun.

I had a 70pss and I wanted a scope that would fit in the bag that came with the gun. It's a special bag that will float with the gun in it. I found the only thing that fit well was a cheap tasco 3-9x20 rimfire scope. since I only shot it at 50yds it worked well for me. The whole point of the thing is it's a survival rifle and I don't think I'd be taking small game with a 22 beyond 50 yds anyway. I thought you might want to consider the size of the scope if you plan on using the bag. It would be a problem if you had to remove the scope to stow the gun.
In that case, wouldn't the stock sights work pretty well also?

Back
Top Bottom