• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just heard from my son

UPDATE:
12 hours (roughly) from now, Brian embarks on the final phase of his recruit training-The Crucible. As I understand it...tomorrow at 0200, he will wake to the beginning of a 54 hour ordeal that entails 40 plus miles of humps, about 8 hours total of sleep, and 3 MREs. At sunrise on Saturday, he will stand before the Iwo Jima memorial on the main parade deck at PI and recieve the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor from his Senior Drill Instructor and, for the first time, be addressed as Marine.

Several videos I've seen reflect that most break down and cry. I can barely contain it myself just typing this. It cements in place the start of a long time dream for him to get here. At a family reunion a couple of months ago, we opened a time capsule sealed 10 years prior. He wrote as an answer to the question "What will you be doing 10 years from now?"
At the age of 7, his reply was 'I will be in the Marines'

In about 72 hours. He will be.

At sunrise on Saturday, he will stand before the Iwo Jima memorial on the main parade deck at PI and receive the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor from his Senior Drill Instructor and, for the first time, be addressed as Marine.

Several videos I've seen reflect that most break down and cry.

I can confirm this. Semper fi, gentlemen.

May God Bless him and keep him safe and strong. He is in for a grueling test of his stamina,a test for which he has been training. May he receive all the support he needs to succeed and realize his long time goal of being a US Marine.
Best regards.

Congrats to both Son and his proud Dad. I wish him luck during the Crucible.

I arrived on the Island on 30 June a loong time ago. There is nothing like a summer on PI.

Semper Fi Marines - Ooorah

Been 30 years since basic. Is all correspondence still snail mail or can you email now?

Snail mail only, and he's not the most verbose person I know. I typically consider brevity a blessing, but not in this case. He has received more than he has sent. Understandable of course, but not terribly comforting for his mother or I.

Back
Top Bottom