K98 Count Down; #8 of 10 makers - Matched (almost) DOU44

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Continuing my quest for all ten makers of the K98 in WW2. I've sold three pieces of my collection so far to acquire two more collector grade K98s; this is the first of the two to arrive. The DOU makes the #8 maker of the ten. #9 arrives next week, leaving me to search and save for the last and probably most expensive, the BSW, Berlin-Suhler-Waffen. BSW produced rifles for about 3 years from 1936-1939 and was then folded in with Gustloffwerke, having produced 174 rifles in 1936, 23,800 in 1937, 49,400 in 1938, and 13,100 in 1939 for a total of about 86,500. For comparison Mauser Obendorf produced 815,619 rifles from July of 1936 - April of 1939 - almost a 10-fold increase. There is an unimprovable 1939 BSW on GunBoker with a reserve of $8,000, to get an idea.

All but matched DOU44. At DOU the -cc block is when the cleaning rod began to be deleted even though they were using bayonet lugs, as the first step towards the Kriegsmodel. This one is still drilled for one and has the lug. I had a spare original cleaning rod for it, as well as a sling. At this point serial numbers were dropped on most of the small parts save the bolt group and rear sight.

The only non-matching numbered part is the rear sight ramp (8455 vs. 8383); the rear sight base on the bottom of the barrel is correctly marked '83'. Finish is very good, and the bore turned out excellent with a shot of CLP and a bore snake.

T

Last edited:
Range report; 80 degrees, windy, sunny. 100 yards, 30 rounds '78 skip-bang Yugo ammo. 25 rounds practice on the left target and 5 for score on the right target. The target is a download of the German WW2 range target - you passed if you put 5 consecutive rounds in the black at 100 yards. This is the first of my Mausers to do this and right 'out-of-the-box' as well. It does drift a little right though. I was compensating left for the center and left hits on the left target.

I hope to get all my Mausers to 'pass' this test eventually.

T

Nah; then I get to start on the dozen makers of the Gew98. I only have two of them.

T[wink]

That is what I have done with Enfields. I have each maker of the No. 1 and the No. 4.. IF I can ever find a Sparkbrooke Mk. I or MK. III... I will have every maker of the SMLE.

DOU had stopped by then; DOT continued the practice for a while longer. I found out from the K98k forum that this rifle was sold in 2003 with a different and sanded stock with a different incorrect combination of trigger guard and floor plate. Someone 'enhanced' the piece with the correct parts. I did swap out the incorrect cut capture screws with round ones. Doesn't effect the price really, if at all. I still did OK, but a little depressing.

T

Back
Top Bottom