• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Knife 'STEELS'-N-DEALS thread!

Mine showed up! Definitely a badass knife. It is big but not TOO big and the handle is nice. I wish my BK2 handle was like that. The edge is just ok and it's definitely rough close to the handle. I shoulda had mine shipped to @enbloc first to put an edge on it

Lol... they're like $35 each...

Buy both and you're still way under an ESEE 4, right?

Lol, I already have the ESEE 4. Great knife. I wish it was just a weee tad bit bigger. The ESEE 5 is a little too big. Hence my question asking about the size comparison.

Call me Goldielocks… I’m looking for not to big, not to small, I want juusssst riiight

So, what ESEE does with its "numbered" knives is they are pretty close to blade length, i.e. ESEE4 is 4.1 inches and ESEE5 is 5.25.
They basically take the whole number of the length and wham, that's the name.

Cold Steel's SRK-C (compact) is 5 inches and the SRK is 6 inches. The Tanto is 5.5 inches

Physically, the SRK-C feels smaller in the hand... not sure that helps though.

Last edited:
Lol... they're like $35 each...

Buy both and you're still way under an ESEE 4, right?

Ordered both…, just about the best part of Amazon is you can return stuff easily. I’m expecting to keep the compact version to fit my medium-sized man hands better, but I may enjoy the broad sword feel of the full-sized man’s man knife.

I’ve been putting together emergency “kits” for unexpected situations. Along the line of car broke down in nowhereville, or out camping and normal knife is lost or broke. Decided that one of these knives will go into a kit for the wife’s new to her car. the other will go into my trucks kit.

I’ve been putting together emergency “kits” for unexpected situations. Along the line of car broke down in nowhereville, or out camping and normal knife is lost or broke. Decided that one of these knives will go into a kit for the wife’s new to her car. the other will go into my trucks kit.
This knife is perfect for "spreading around"...

Which SRK is close in size to the ESEE 4? The 4 is a touch small, the 5 is a tad big.. I’d prefer a 4.5 but alas…

Not looking to buy two (so don’t try to upsell me @enbloc) ☠️

For anyone interested in a direct size comparison between the SRK, SRK-C, and the ESEE 4

A1EE7B93-8E53-44A8-B5E4-C576A7436252.jpeg
A407F7C0-6FFC-4494-ACA1-0760BAD10876.jpeg
39FA08E8-8F24-45B1-960F-EE5FBE0CC683.jpeg

I finally opened the CRK. I was hoping to wear it on my belt, but the sheath seems extra floppy where the belt loop is. I tried making it ride higher (by moving the mount down on the plastic) so my shirt would cover it, but it's even more floppy. What gives?

…. I was hoping to wear it on my belt, but the sheath seems extra floppy where the belt loop is. …but it's even more floppy. What gives?

while the Kydex portion of the sheath has relatively good retention, the nylon belt loop portion is not ballistic nylon and fairly supple.
it’s seems like kinda a cheap knife IMO. Good for $35 I guess. Definitely good to keep as an option to pass along to someone else. It too big for a fixed blade daily carry (for me at least).

I finally opened the CRK. I was hoping to wear it on my belt, but the sheath seems extra floppy where the belt loop is. I tried making it ride higher (by moving the mount down on the plastic) so my shirt would cover it, but it's even more floppy. What gives?
After looking at my sheath, it is possible to sew the two sides of the webbing loop together, allowing room for your belt. This would stiffen the way it rides.
Also, adding a piece of paracord to the bottom of the sheath would allow for a leg tie.

There are custom sheaths too, but they'll all cost more than the knife & sheath you bought...

"Box-X" stitch.

Last edited:
I think of the SRK as a truck/car knife. Throw it in the glove box or a little “get home” type bag for something a little more beefy than a pocket knife. Esee 4 is the actual apocalypse knife, or something of similar/greater caliber. I don’t mind if I lose an SRK at the range or a camp site. An Esee or a Bradford? Not so much.

Thanks for prompting yet another impulse buy. [laugh]

It came overnight via Prime. I honestly have mixed feelings about buying knives from Amazon as their rational for shipping some knives to MA while refusing to ship others seems to have no basis in law or logic. I will pay a couple bucks more if I can get a similar deal from a reputable EBAY vendor.

But in this case it seems my principles were purchased for a mere $10.67 deal. Like I said impulse buy I did not really need. I was just like, ooh a deal click-click.

Small little fellow that we would have called a boot knife when I was growing up. The grip could stand to be 1/2" longer for man hands. The sheath holds it very secure, conversely it is a little hard to get out of same. The belt clip is for 1-1/2" belts. It did indeed come with a black light-fixture type pull chain (but only idiots hang a knife around their neck, so).

Do not laugh at me too hard. I was giving it a quick sharpening using a Spyderco tri-angle sharpmaker and near completion got distracted and put several passes on the false edge, but it was a honing stone so no real impact other that the take off some of the black finish. My point in shaming myself with that story is that the layout of the blade is symmetrical and if you were inclined to give it a second edge you could with a little work.

For reference here it is next to a SOG Zoom folder and the excellent Uni-Ball Jetstream RT pen, my favorite (yes I am a geek).

QmxPO9t.jpg

BTW I just checked and the price is still $10.67. Thanks again @Kevin 103

🐯

Last edited:
First attempt at making a stiffer belt clip than the one provided for the CRK. Feels pretty solid on a 1.5" belt although I haven't worn it around yet so there may be some adjustments needed. I added a couple of spacers on the left/bottom side but that was after I bent it a little too much.

Attachments

• IMG_20220814_131300_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220814_131300_HDR.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220814_131324_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220814_131324_HDR.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 13
make it modular...

1660527330526.png

JK... [smile]

Nice work!

Last edited:
Blade HQ has the SRK with new colored handles for $35
FYI…I’m going to be selling the SRK compact in any color available for $35. Currently I have SRK C in black and ODG in stock for $35, but can order anything. The full size SRK is $40. I’m also giving NES green members a 10% discount. I have inventory but still about a month away from my store opening.

Last edited:
Blade HQ has the SRK with new colored handles for $35

I notice they have the SOG-TAC XR Blackout serrated on sale for $62. That is a really good price.

SOG has improved their budget hard use product line with this series. I might buy an OD green non-serrated version next week.

🐯

I notice they have the SOG-TAC XR Blackout serrated on sale for $62. That is a really good price.

SOG has improved their budget hard use product line with this series. I might buy an OD green non-serrated version next week.

🐯

Now all the SOG TAC XR models are on sale for $67.99 except the rescue orange one which is even lower at $59.99

Also use the code SOGLIST10 for an additional 10% off. Plus shipping is free.

I had a credit (long story) so I was going to buy anyway but $61.19 shipped is a good deal.

🐯

yes CS, the quote reply button didnt take.
NBD just quirky that it holds the higher price on the site and in the cart.
you see the bottom one is “discounted” because of a damaged box. its out of stock anyway.

OK now I see your issue. The price is different for you because you are looking at a different website.

Go to my post, directly above the one where you tell us the price is different, the one where I give a link to the sale at SOG Knives.

Here it is again…

🐯

@yanquidog If you wanna buy locally (The Mill) I have the non serrated SOG TAC XR Lockouts in ODG and Blackout for $71 + tax. Sorry I can’t beat that price.

Thanks for that.
I’m not sweating $5.
It will be a few weeks before I can get back up to the Mill. Always prefer shopping there. Delivery is the main draw for sure,but it’s always nice to fondle them in the wild. I will def be in for a fondling.
catch you then

Back
Top Bottom