local reporter documents their permit application process

not sure he'll get good treatment, he used a quote that made the CLEO look like an *******, so if anything it'll be a test of that whole "local licensing authority" BS. if he rustled the CLEO's jimmies he can expect a restricted license, if he receives an unrestricted license if can be good ammunition for others to use in a battle against FPD as to why they got hosed and this guy didn't (potentially).

not sure he'll get good treatment, he used a quote that made the CLEO look like an *******, so if anything it'll be a test of that whole "local licensing authority" BS. if he rustled the CLEO's jimmies he can expect a restricted license, if he receives an unrestricted license if can be good ammunition for others to use in a battle against FPD as to why they got hosed and this guy didn't (potentially).
IQ test for their licensing process if they want to make it hard on him...

We, here, should not be Hatin' on this reporter.

He has no clue.....that's not uncommon WRT members of the Fourth Estate.

He's trying to get an LTC ....that IS uncommon!

Instructors: Send this dude emails, letting him know your class schedule! Welcome him into the fold, don't slam him for not knowing the difference between an LTC and an FID.....

This is the sort of press that we need.

Honestly I doubt Demoura will even be paying attention, he's not the one actually handling the paperwork. The audience will fall asleep anyways by the time the guy gets his license one way or the other. While Fitchburg is not NEARLY as bad as Everett is, "Slow" is putting it mildly, although the biggest obstacle really is just getting an appointment.

I heard some ruminations of restrictions when DeMoura first appeared but that seems to have gone by the wayside for the
most part.

-Mike

We, here, should not be Hatin' on this reporter. He has no clue.....Instructors: Send this dude emails, letting him know your class schedule! Welcome him into the fold, don't slam him for not knowing the difference between an LTC and an FID.....This is the sort of press that we need.

+1

I'm in the Burg and got stuck with target and hunting. Maybe I'm just unlucky though?

When did you apply? I'm curious because I've only gotten feedback from a few people, and there was a "window of pain" where new apps were being given T&H.

Problem is 95% of the feedback I'm getting from is renewals, and I know those aren't being downgraded, but that might have something to do with the fact that
there are 1500+ of them... and a lot of that 1500 draw a lot of water in this city.

-Mike

Last edited:
It looks to me that the reporter's Facebook profile picture and article photos were taken at Old Mill Gun Shop in Leominster. I hate to think of what "advice" they're providing him.

Last edited:
When did you apply? I'm curious because I've only gotten feedback from a few people, and there was a "window of pain" where new apps were being given T&H.

Problem is 95% of the feedback I'm getting from is renewals, and I know those aren't being downgraded, but that might have something to do with the fact that
there are 1500+ of them... and a lot of that 1500 draw a lot of water in this city.

-Mike
Within the past year, so pretty recent(new LTC). Had a glitch on my record, so maybe this influenced the choice to add the restriction.

Last edited:
This sounds vaguely reminiscent of "Emily Gets a Gun". Granted she is a bigger name, but her story helped get things changed. With a little coaching, this guy sounds like he could be valuable to the cause.

This guy is no Emily Miller.

Indeed! Neither in his writing or in the video. He's a poor example of journalism "skills".

I'm not impressed with MFS having instructors standing in front of students with guns in their hands. Safety is paramount and you don't treat guns with dummy rounds any differently than guns with live ammo! Very bad practice and also sets a very bad example to the students that they don't need to be as vigilant when "they know that no ammo is present"!

Very bad practice and also sets a very bad example to the students that they don't need to be as vigilant when "they know that no ammo is present"!

I agree - I took the class at MFS and I remember clearly when we were doing this. There was almost no way you could avoid pointing the gun at the instructor at some point.

There were so many people taking the class that we were four to a table with one instructor in front of us - and another group waiting behind... not exactly one on one training.

not exactly one on one training.

if that was what you expected, why did you go to one of the largest training centers in the state? the requirement to get "training" is just additional bullshit to dissuade people from applying for LTCs. if you want real, actual training you need to seek out someone individually or hit up a place such as the sig academy.

if that was what you expected, why did you go to one of the largest training centers in the state? the requirement to get "training" is just additional bullshit to dissuade people from applying for LTCs. if you want real, actual training you need to seek out someone individually or hit up a place such as the sig academy.

I just wanted to get the piece of paper for my LTC, I had no idea what to expect when I showed up.

I've done some training since then (Combat focus training) and plan to do more. The Sig academy is on the list...

I agree - I took the class at MFS and I remember clearly when we were doing this. There was almost no way you could avoid pointing the gun at the instructor at some point.

There were so many people taking the class that we were four to a table with one instructor in front of us - and another group waiting behind... not exactly one on one training.

Like atilla said, you don't go to that sort of place expecting good training, just a piece of paper so you can get your LTC. That said, I had my class there too, and it made me really uncomfortable when the instructors basically told you to point the guns at them. Way to completely disregard the rules you're supposed to be teaching.

I am going to have my staff read this thread and remind them to be very clear on this matter. As a matter of strict policy we do not allow firearms, unladed or loaded, to be pointed at any person at any time.

Also, keep in mind that the Mass Basic Firearms Safety Class is an introductory class that only introduces students to firearms marksmanship and handling. A large portion of this class is devoted to legal material and other material required by the Commonwealth (storage, transportation, etc...). The class is 4-hours long (a good class length to prevent brain "mush").

This is why we offer many additional classes that go into greater detail concerning weapons handling (both one-on-one and group classes). Many of our students take advantage of those classes.

***Update

We have put an end to the practice of instructors standing in front of the students. This was a practice that evolved over time with some of our staff. As Len pointed out it is simply a bad idea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom