• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lockable cabinet?

Soundwave

NES Member
I'm moving and was thinking about upgrading to a safe but I'm thinking itay be overkill. Is there any reason why something like this wouldn't be legal?

Amazon product ASIN B002TOKR4EView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TOKR4E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_3VR0ECK09M6KKRHWPTF6

I have a slightly oversized hall closet I could fit a good size safe in. But I'm worried a large single door won't be able to open wide enough.
You could legally store all your fire arms with trigger locks on them and leave them anywhere in your house. So.....yeah this would be legal.

Cut and paste from storage law....key word is OR! Locked container.....or mechanical lock or safety device.....

It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user

Some people want the tighter storage and fire-rating of a safe (not that all advertised gun safes have fire ratings because some of the cheaper ones don't).

Just mentioning it for consideration....

Ya I wanted to go get a big fancy safe but I don't know that I really need it. I do the locked individual container/cable lock in a locked closet now but hoping to upgrade a little. If I put a lock on this oversized closet can I keep ammo in there without it being in cabinet? Or is that a no no? Worried about weight in that cabinet.

Ya I wanted to go get a big fancy safe but I don't know that I really need it. I do the locked individual container/cable lock in a locked closet now but hoping to upgrade a little. If I put a lock on this oversized closet can I keep ammo in there without it being in cabinet? Or is that a no no? Worried about weight in that cabinet.
Ammo is very heavy, you want about a 100lb per shelf rating or more if you plan to keep ammo in it.

I'd just go to tractor supply and buy smaller winchester or cannon gun safe. Also check out Snap Safe if your worried about moving it, they are modular safes that can easily be assembled in place. Remember if you have guns stolen from your house and your in a red town you could have your LTC revoked if the PD decides you weren't storing them properly, regardless of what the law says. A plain locking cabinet is good for ammo and other peripherals but firearms should really be stored in something at least somewhat theft resistant. A fire rated gun safe also comes with the added bonus of having a place to keep important documents and valuables.

Safes aren't just for guns. Laptops,cameras, wristwatches, your wife's jewelry, wedding album and important documents (Think deed/lease, vehicle titles, insurance policies, cash reserves PM's, get the biggest safe you can fit / afford. Sooner or later you'll fill it. Get the best real safe you can afford. Don't bother with something either small or light enough for one person to pickup and walk away with. You'll thank me later.

... I do the locked individual container/cable lock in a locked closet now but hoping to upgrade a little. If I put a lock on this oversized closet can I keep ammo in there without it being in cabinet? Or is that a no no? Worried about weight in that cabinet.
Ammo storage is fire code.

527 CMR §1.12.8.39.1.1.4 sez:
Permits Not Required. Permits shall not be required for the following:​
...​
(2) Small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder stored in​
original containers and stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use ...​

Gun storage is statutory law, and has case law.

COMMONWEALTH vs. STEPHEN PARZICK., 64 Mass. App. Ct. 846 sez:

If you have a cheesy bathroom-privacy-hatpin-unlocking lock on your bedroom door,
and you store guns'n'ammo in your bedroom closet,

a05419ed-794d-4766-ada5-27c6ef400f8c.jpg

Maybe you're planning on turning your closet into Fort Knox.
maxresdefault.jpg

But if someone ever tells the cops you've got "a closet full of boolits",
and they don't like that, they're not gonna care about details.

All it takes is someone breaks a leg slipping in the shower,
or a squirrel blocks the chimney and the CO alarm goes off,
and you've got all sorts of people poking around your house.

Just put your ammo in locked ammo boxes and be done with it.

It works for everything except bulk pack like Bucket O' Bullets (in theory).
(Because the fire code requires that ammo not in use
be stored in its original packaging,
and you can't cram a bucket into a .30 cal ammo box).
So put all your buckets in some locked cabinet or closet.

This is 2021AD.
You do have buckets full of ammo, right?
[rofl]

It's a keyed lock on a closet so I should.be good. But I'm definitely looking to upgrade. I thought the closet was perfect but I may just have to put I in a spare room and use closet for ammo. With the proper lock ofcourse

Back
Top Bottom