• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long Range Rifle

MaverickNH

NES Member
I'm looking for some education on ballistics, scopes and long range tactical rifle. Any books and courses local to NE would be helpful.

I guess it depends on how much you want to know.

The best ballistics books I know of are the Sierra 4th and 5th edition reloading manuals. Fortunately the Ballistics portion of both are on line. The other is Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting by Bryan Litz. You can read some of the articles on Bryan's website and get a feel for the book.

Another excellent book is The Military and Police Sniper by Mike Lau. This is probably a good starter book, as the other two ballistics books deal mostly with theory.

I don't have any first hand knowledge about it, but I think SigAcademy offers one and Weaponcraft in Portland has one. I have talked to Derek about bringing a couple of people to NY to shoot the 1000 yard matches in Albany. Probably a Karma thing next year if it happens.

B

Great stuff guys - thanks. Got the recommended book, looked at schedules for courses and am digging into the Sniper's Hide information.

Planning the Pelham 20Nov Appleseed to help tune up the marksmanship as well - still not a Rifleman...

Google for "FM 23-10". It's the Army Field Manual for Sniper Training. Copies in .pdf are all over the web. It's got a lot of field craft stuff, but there's plenty of long range marksmanship info in it.

I'm pretty sure they have the capability to shoot to 500 yards/meters there if they close the road. I think it's all KD though, not field shooting.

B

[thinking] I'd want my money back

I'm taking the Sig Academy course in July. I've read good reviews of this class, so I'm looking forward to it. I don't really care whether the max is 300 or 500 yards. The selling point for me, besides proximity of NH, is that you can use a loaner rifle from them for no cost during the 3 day course. I have reserved a SSG 3000 set up which runs between $4,000-$6,000 depending on the optics/options. Not a rifle I'd normally get to shoot.

[thinking] I'd want my money back

Magpul precision rifle was only out to 425 and it was worth it. Although, this is kind of comparing apples and oranges..

I'd think it would still be a good option for a local class to get ones learn on. Only thing is 595 is somewhat high, IMO.

Only thing is 595 is somewhat high, IMO.

Agreed, Sig Academy is pricey compared to other places, but it's close, so when I factor in not having to pay for travel, it makes sense for me. Also, I got 20% off the class making it $475 because I signed up when I was taking the "Long Distance Handgun" class that cost $95. If you're thinking about taking any 3 day or longer class, it makes fiscal sense to sign up for a cheap short course just to get the 20% discount on the longer course.

You only get half out of your money's worth taking a precision rifle class with a rifle you will leave behind.

A HUGE portion of precision rifle shooting is knowing your rifle, scope, and ammo combination like the back of your hand.

You only get half out of your money's worth taking a precision rifle class with a rifle you will leave behind.

A HUGE portion of precision rifle shooting is knowing your rifle, scope, and ammo combination like the back of your hand.

Fair enough, I'm sure that's true, except my "precision" rifle at the moment is a .270 franken-rifle with a $150 scope. My future precision rifle is still at the store and will be for awhile.

What action is the .270 on? You usually get a better rifle if you build one instead of buy.

B

It's a Mauser FN action. 28" stainless barrel. Really nice custom walnut stock. Pretty rifle- and it shoots fine, nice groups at 200 yds off the bench. I am looking for a major upgrade in the next year or so, however, which is why I was interested in shooting some of the higher end rifles at Sig Acad.

The more I've thought about this, the more I see the wisdom of it. I'm considering scaling back my future ideal purchase and buying something more in line with my current and near term skill set. Then I would have my own decent/acceptable rifle/optics for this class instead of saving longer, not having my own gear for the class, and buying something months after the class that I don't yet "deserve", from a skill point of view.

You can do what I did, which was just drop a good quality scope on an already existing AR upper and grab a harris bipod.

:)

I picked up a Rem700 308 Police at State Line in NH for $795 last weekend. I'll be setting a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-20x50 FFP mil/mil scope on it with a 15MOA Leupy base and rings for about the same cost and adding a Harris S-BRM bipod. All going well, first shot planned for this weekend.

[edit] As the OP, I thought I'd interject with this tidbit :)

Last edited:
.... and buying something months after the class that I don't yet "deserve", from a skill point of view.

Gold Plated Lug Nuts don't make them shoot any better. [smile] Real high end guns are nice and sometimes they have features that justify some of the cost. However a lot of what you are paying for is bling or the costs associated with short runs of parts. I doubt any of the very expensive factory guns shoot any better than my Krieger barreled Winchester.

JMO,

B

The rifle is only half the battle, ammo will make or break any rifle, I have a Savage 10FCP .308 that will not group Privi Match 168gr better than 1.5" at 100, while that same rifle will shoot .5" or better 5 rnd groups with properly loaded 178gr Amax.

I picked up a Rem700 308 Police at State Line in NH for $795 last weekend. I'll be setting a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-20x50 FFP mil/mil scope on it with a 15MOA Leupy base and rings for about the same cost and adding a Harris S-BRM bipod. All going well, first shot planned for this weekend.

[edit] As the OP, I thought I'd interject with this tidbit :)

That sounds like a nice rig, definitely.

I thought I resurrect this old thread because rifle season is almost upon us and I am roaring to go.

My stick is back from the gunsmith, re-stocked and repainted. The trigger has been reworked but it's still the usual Howa suck-ass trigger. A 1.5 lb Timney was ordered today to replace it.

howa1500brown.jpg

And here's one of the most kick-ass rifle ranges in the country just two and half hours from home, Thunder Valley Precision

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom