Long Range Rifle

Guys, take Brian up on the offer and zip the excuses. Take the first step, run what you brung or bring a borrowed rifle.

Seriously, if you have a scoped varmint rifle tell the match director you want to shoot F class and pay the fee. Even if they don't have F class targets, tell them you want to shoot for score only. Tell him you are a newbie that wants coaching and you will get paired up with a good shooter on your relay. He will score for you and will coach you so that by the end of the match you will be miles ahead of all the dufuses banging away at the 100 yard range on their own without a clue until they get "good enough" to compete.

Most of you guys don't really know what you don't know. Let someone like Brian, who DOES know, take you to a match. You will be amazed at what you will learn.

its a hunting gun so it has the sporter barrel, I want a heavy barrel, and yes i reload.
You are better off buying a Howa varmint barreled action in .308 and stocking it than re-barreling a long action.

You will end up with a better rifle, IMO, and will spend the same or less.

Howa is one of the few manufacturers to sell barreled actions ready to stock and there are tons of them NIB on Gunbroker.

But there is still that problem of not having a clue. [wink]

That is what the Karma is all about. There are several 3X600s here in NE that would give people the confidence to get out to 1000 but the right gear is needed. M-14 is not really up to the task. It's not fun to take the wrong gear to the line.

B

Guys, take Brian up on the offer and zip the excuses. Take the first step, run what you brung or bring a borrowed rifle.

Seriously, if you have a scoped varmint rifle tell the match director you want to shoot F class and pay the fee. Even if they don't have F class targets, tell them you want to shoot for score only. Tell him you are a newbie that wants coaching and you will get paired up with a good shooter on your relay. He will score for you and will coach you so that by the end of the match you will be miles ahead of all the dufuses banging away at the 100 yard range on their own without a clue until they get "good enough" to compete.

Most of you guys don't really know what you don't know. Let someone like Brian, who DOES know, take you to a match. You will be amazed at what you will learn.

way to fire up a guy jose.

honestly screw it, i dont need to mod the hell out of my rifle. a better stock and scope is all i need. and thats attainable in short time.

Brian any matches in june?

and just saw your post jose, probably right about getting just the barreled actionn and getting rid of the .06

The only thing I have for a .308 gun is an M14 in a sage chassis that is full retard heavy.

But there is still that problem of not having a clue. [wink]
A) Long range and mid range matches are all prone. The weight of the rifle is, at this point, irrelevant. Put a bipod and a scope on it and get after it.

B) You go to the match to get a clue. Unless you are going to a state or national championship, NRA rifle matches are very n00b friendly.

I do agree with Brian that 1000 yard matches are unforgiving and not the best place to start.

An NRA 600 point 600 yard match, though, IS an excellent place to begin.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason there are no more Howa actions on Gunbroker. Maybe the distributors are all out of stock.

Here you go: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=221167923. $470 buys you the barreled action and some crap plastic stock that you were going to trash anyway.

Add a Manners stock for $450, a Bipod for $100, a quality (not necessarily S&B) scope with 15X, rings, bases, and a Timney trigger and you are GTG.

Yeah, this wont work. Sell off some of the surplus crap you have and get a decent rifle. Does not need to be fancy. A decent varmint rifle should suffice.

B

peashooting.jpg

whats the deal with attending shoots in NY and not having a non res license? or a NY license for that matter?

NY licenses are for handguns only. No license needed for rifles or shotguns.

You guys from Mass need to deprogram about having to be licensed to do anything with any firearm.

It's a registered competition. Register and print out the e-mail confirmation. You will be covered as long as you obey the FOPA and transport appropriately.

B

NY licenses are for handguns only. No license needed for rifles or shotguns.

You guys from Mass need to deprogram about having to be licensed to do anything with any firearm.

i have to yet taste the sweet air of gun freedom. and yes this is what MA will do to you if you leave here for any time period

You are better off buying a Howa varmint barreled action in .308 and stocking it than re-barreling a long action.

I've been considering ordering the same package you did, but the idea of waiting 4 months for a pretty typical gun just freaks me out. Maybe it's just my freakish life, but four months is basically forever.

Competition

I don't know anything about precision rifle other than which end goes "bang", but competition has been great for my pistol and carbine shooting. Certainly the way to go to learn a new shooting sport.

There are matches every single weekend over the summer.

Reading MA

There's a bunch of articles linked off that site, including this one with the "bare necessities" for highpower. I've never shot highpower, so I can't attest to it's accuracy, but it does look like it's a document provided by the CMP, which has to count for at least a little.

http://readinghighpower.com/bare necessities for highpower competition amu.pdf

Not too much info on the guns themselves, though.

One of these days I'll have to give these sorts of matches a try. I like the idea of long range target shooting, but I've got no rifle, and have never shot at that sort of distance, so while I THINK it'd be awesome and fun, I'd want to try it before I go spending lots on hardware.

I've been considering ordering the same package you did, but the idea of waiting 4 months for a pretty typical gun just freaks me out. Maybe it's just my freakish life, but four months is basically forever.

Then just buy an off the shelf Winchester, Remington, or Savage heavy barrel in .308 Win and add the scope and bipod of your choice.

If you want a no shit no holds barred factory target rifle, Savage makes several that just need sights.

Model 12 Long Range Precision

Model 12 Palma

Model 12 F T/R

Model 12 LE HS Precision

Model 12 LE McMillan

My wallet hates you.

Seriously. I'm already about to post in the "new acquisitions" thread, and I'm seriously considering impulse buying:

• Savage 10 HS Precision
  • Scope (Save money and grab a Bushnell Elite ?)
  • Storm Case
  • Bipod, rings, etc.
  • Ammo that's 1$ per round.

And a spotting scope, maybe.

My calendar is going to not have fun either, as finding time to actually acquire, muchless shoot, new stuff is going to be hard to come by.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom