Long Range Rifle

What's the matter with you New England guys that think an hour's drive is far?

It might be something to do with the fact that I could drive less than an hour to at least 6, if not more, ranges. Hell, my local range is less than an hours walk from my house.

You'd really hate the Great Plains

Actually, I lived in the rural south most of my life. There an hour drive was nothing. In NE everything is such a cluster-f**k of bumper-to-bumper-stop-and-go idiocy when you get on the road a 5 mile trip can take an hour.

I'd probably love the Great Plains, especially in motorcycle season. [smile]

It might be something to do with the fact that I could drive less than an hour to at least 6, if not more, ranges. Hell, my local range is less than an hours walk from my house.

Does any of them look like Thunder Valley?

Does any of them look like Thunder Valley?

Oh sure. My local club could easily have a 500 yd range. Except it's 10 trap fields instead [angry2]

And despite the fact that we really don't have anything comparable to that around here, living in an area like this DOES make it a little difficult to fathom driving an hour to get to the range, no matter how much better it is than the closer ones.

Yesterday, I watched that video and decided that looked like the slowest and most boring action match I'd ever seen.

Today I somehow found myself Googeling entry-level .308 rifles. I'm not quite sure why....

Yesterday, I watched that video and decided that looked like the slowest and most boring action match I'd ever seen.

Today I somehow found myself Googeling entry-level .308 rifles. I'm not quite sure why....

watching it is probably boring as watching paint dry, now shooting the match is probably hella fun. I found myself looking at scopes, stocks, everything and anything after watchin those videos

I could stop shooting IDPA and not miss it much. But I could never stop working at improving my precision rifle marksmanship whether it is with a scoped rifle from field positions or with an aperture sighted rifle from sling supported prone.

Breaking a shot and hearing the clang of steel a second and a half later from a target 800 yards away is a rush like no other.

no shit that is really hardcore, you would think out west you would be able to do this.
You would be surprised. It's only once you get to the intermountain west that tons and tons of free public land is available.

The great plains (KS, NE, IA, OK, SD, ND, MO) are almost all private land and you just can't drive into the country, setup in a field and start shooting.

May 14th and 15th is a Long Range match Albany in NY. Shooting at 800, 900 and 1000 yards. How many of you are going?

B

You would be surprised. It's only once you get to the intermountain west that tons and tons of free public land is available.

The great plains (KS, NE, IA, OK, SD, ND, MO) are almost all private land and you just can't drive into the country, setup in a field and start shooting.

oh yea, it's all private land for the most part. im think closer toward the rockies.

and BLM land

May 14th and 15th is a Long Range match Albany in NY. Shooting at 800, 900 and 1000 yards. How many of you are going?

B

right now my rifle isnt up to snuff, hopefully by atleast july it should be done. it isnt cheap to set one up and its even harder on a college budget.

albany isnt that far from western ma, only like an 1hr or two drive

That is great! July 16 & 17 is a Long Range Regional at Forbes. I talked to Derek about working with some Karma Newbs and getting them up to snuff. We will see how that fares.

B

That is great! July 16 & 17 is a Long Range Regional at Forbes. I talked to Derek about working with some Karma Newbs and getting them up to snuff. We will see how that fares.

B

if all goes to plan i will be able to get the manners stock i want within the next month, then from there i just have to find a goodsmith who works on howas to rebarrel it with somthing a little better and might as well bed it too, and then some good glass and i should be done.

The only thing I have for a .308 gun is an M14 in a sage chassis that is full retard heavy. I am throwing around the idea of a 700 project with the tax return this month, though.

But there is still that problem of not having a clue. [wink]

Is it a hunting gun, or a varmint gun? No need to re-barrel unless it is a hunting gun. Do you reload?

B

its a hunting gun so it has the sporter barrel, I want a heavy barrel, and yes i reload.

its a .30-06 too, i already have it so might as well mod it even though ive thought about selling it a few times. Everything ive seen people who still use .06's are shooting around 200grn bullets

Back
Top Bottom