• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long shelf life foods

Personally, I do not concern myself with much in the way of feel-good food items. I dont need coffee to survive and I am not sure that drinking coffee is worth the use of water in regards to maintaining hydration. If I feel I need to enjoy some sort of consumable in order to improve my mental state, I will chew some juicy fruit gum. My water consumption during a real crisis would be strictly regulated in an attempt to stay on top of proper hydration. I have dealt with the effects of dehydration and it aint nothing to play with.

Personally, I do not concern myself with much in the way of feel-good food items. I dont need coffee to survive and I am not sure that drinking coffee is worth the use of water in regards to maintaining hydration. If I feel I need to enjoy some sort of consumable in order to improve my mental state, I will chew some juicy fruit gum. My water consumption during a real crisis would be strictly regulated in an attempt to stay on top of proper hydration. I have dealt with the effects of dehydration and it aint nothing to play with.

I’m not disagreeing, but I do have a well and the means to extract water from it without electricity. Also have a large filter to filter the water before drinking. Overall I don’t mind having a few creature comforts for the just in case scenario.

I’m not disagreeing, but I do have a well and the means to extract water from it without electricity. Also have a large filter to filter the water before drinking. Overall I don’t mind having a few creature comforts for the just in case scenario.

I am disagreeing. To a point.

In a pure and desperate survival situation, hydration is more important than creature comforts.

However if you are in a somewhat stable situation, something like a hot cup of coffee (or another beverage of your choice) can provide that emotional lift that is as important as physical needs.

YMMV. And that's fine.

I am disagreeing. To a point.

In a pure and desperate survival situation, hydration is more important than creature comforts.

However if you are in a somewhat stable situation, something like a hot cup of coffee (or another beverage of your choice) can provide that emotional lift that is as important as physical needs.

YMMV. And that's fine.

Very fair and reasonable statement

In terms of being able to remain alert in a stressful situation, caffeine has it's place medicinally to improve your mental state. However, if you don't have a plentiful water source to consume besides your coffee, it's something you definitely ought to work on....and it sounds like you have.

At my NH place, there are streams, wells, and a pond. The well pump is grid or off grid solar or my MEP002 Genset fed. Or if all 3 fail, a bucket and rope fed

Doesn't honey last pretty much forever? I don't recall expiration dates on it, and my family eats age old honey with no intestinal protestations.

Yes. It lasts forever as long as you keep it dry. Honey has been pulled from ancient burials in thr ME and still was edible. It can crystallize over time if held in very dry conditions.

So, serious question and i don't mean to sound cheeky.
Those of you that keep freeze dried food, do you eat through your supply and replenish it or do you toss it all every 10 years and buy another 120 day supply?

I ask because I know a guy who buys new every so often but never uses it. Partly because he watches too much InfoWars so in his mind society is only going to last another two years. He doesn't like eating it but he will when TEOTWAWKI occurs. I've known him 20 years. I do imagine that one day he will be right.

We eat the older stuff and keep ours around 15 years max. I don't have a ton of freeze dried because it's WAY cheaper to stack rice and grains in buckets. The freeze dried is intended for bug out situations. It's lighter calories per lb than other options.

I'd rather have 5gal pails of rice and beans than freeze dried food stacked high. Its more barter friendly and denser storage. But you're not going anywhere quickly with 5gal (33-40lb) pails of rice.

So, serious question and i don't mean to sound cheeky.
Those of you that keep freeze dried food, do you eat through your supply and replenish it or do you toss it all every 10 years and buy another 120 day supply?

I ask because I know a guy who buys new every so often but never uses it. Partly because he watches too much InfoWars so in his mind society is only going to last another two years. He doesn't like eating it but he will when TEOTWAWKI occurs. I've known him 20 years. I do imagine that one day he will be right.
Most freeze dried food packaged properly could be eaten well past 20 years if stored properly. BTW, INFOWARS said in October that Putin would invade Ukraine in February...

last week and a few weeks before that I ate some Dinty Moore beef stew that had a best by date of 2018 and it smelled and looked fine and I was fine. Wife would not eat it but ate the fresher stuff. If you check dates when you buy, you sometimes can find the date out 2-3 years on canned stuff.
I won't keep really expired tomato paste since it will eat right thru the can, imagine what that does to a stomach.

Anyway, I think my freeze dried stuff lasts 10 years so I have not got to that point yet, don't have all that much anyway.

Looking to find some bulk dry beans to put in mylar bags then into my buckets for long term to go along with my rice. Anyone know where to find local south shore of Mass. ? thx

I know you guys don't rely only on freeze dried stuff. I was curious about how much of it you actually eat.
I had some that the guy i know was throwing out. He brought a big box of it to the jobsite dumpster as the expiration date was past. . So i took some home to try. I would say it was better than starving to death. I don't recall the brand as it was over a decade ago but i think he was buying from like BudK or Cheaper than Dirt so it was bargain price stuff.

Howie Carr just had a person on his show talking up their one of their company's product. I did a little quick research and ordered it. One of the things I look for in emergency foods is/are menus which I would eat. Maybe in a real emergency I would force down some mango chutney vegetarian whatever, but I would prefer foods that I like.

last week and a few weeks before that I ate some Dinty Moore beef stew that had a best by date of 2018 and it smelled and looked fine and I was fine. Wife would not eat it but ate the fresher stuff. If you check dates when you buy, you sometimes can find the date out 2-3 years on canned stuff.

BJ's used to carry 4-packs of Dinty Moore Beef Stew at $7.99. I love the stuff but no one else in my family seems to have the same taste. However since COVID struck they no longer have them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom