Looking for a Hassle-free Club to Join on the North Shore

I put in a member sponsored application with Reading Rifle and got the cold shoulder when I dropped it off and have not had any of my follow up calls returned.

Woburn's '1 bullet in your rifle' rule is outrageous.

I'm just looking for a hassle-free club to join on the North Shore where I can pay my dues and have access to the facilities without going to meetings, putting in work-hours etc...Not trying to be anti-social, but my time is limited and I like to spend it shooting when it's available.

I was a member down at Ames on the South Shore and really liked the atmosphere and the no-nonsense membership. I paid my dues, and got my keys. Is there anything remotely close to that on the north shore? I've been here for over a month and still don't have a place to shoot...

Thanks in advance.

You need to look outside of the 128/95 loop. There are not many clubs inside that loop that have anything constituting reasonable rules.

-Mike

You need to look outside of the 128/95 loop. There are not many clubs inside that loop that have anything constituting reasonable rules.

-Mike

I was afraid of that. There are 4 clubs within a few miles of my house but they range from overly-exclusive to just downright terrible.

If anyone knows of a sandpit I can shoot at over the border in NH, I would take that at this point...

The Lynn Rifle and Revolver Club is no-hassle. Pay your dues and get an access card. I believe you can shoot any time from 9am until 10pm seven days a week. You have to be an NRA member to join.

The place is nothing to brag about. It's handguns only. No magnums. There are 8 lanes and they're all 50 feet long. 50 feet is the only distance you're allowed to shoot at, although I have seen people ignore the "no mid-range shooting" signs and only send the target halfway to the back drop.

I'm a member only because it's close to my house and not because it's a great place.

Let me know if you want more information.

Come to Cape Ann.

No hassle. No attitudes. Just a bunch of people that enjoy shooting. And shooting the sh*t.
Outdoor ranges are empty alot of the time.
100 yard rifle.
25 yard pistol
Indoor range 24 hour access.
trap and sporting clays on Sundays and during summer on a weeknight.

Work hours are optional. Only difference is if you do them (work party is only 4 hours and you have 2 chances each year to do them during the spring and fall cleanups) you get a $25 discount off your renewel.

Anyone know anything about Woburn Sportsman or Lowell?
I'm not a member at WSA. But the last I heard, WSA had a limit on the number of rounds you could load in your magazine and a limit on rapid fire.

They do have a lovely facility, with trap, 200 yard rifle, pistol, and indoor ranges.

Cape Ann looks very nice but it's a little far for me.

I am about to join andover. It was the best of a very sorry lot. Otherwise you are in for at least a 30 min ride.

depending on where you are in the N. Shore, you might want to skip the various level's of FUDDNESS and very limited facilities and just join HSC.

shoot up to 300yd

Class III

action pits

Trap

i think they hunt there too [laugh]

no flannel-shirted Nazi's... no BS.

the only qualification is to use the 200 / 300yd range. other than that, it's free [safe] game. -you know, that whole get treated like an adult thing????

I would like to hear some opinions on Mass Rifle. I am looking for a club that is 24/7 with a not-so-strict guest policy. Mass Rifle seems to fit the criteria, but they do have the 3-visit guest policy that many places have. Is that policy strictly enforced? I live in Billerica. I tried contacting the Billerica Rod & Gun club, but it seemed like I was inquiring about a secret association :). Westford also seems like a nice place, but I never got around to visiting it. Not sure if Westford still counts as North Shore..

I am leaning toward joining HSC since it is close to my work, but want to check out some other places first.

I would like to hear some opinions on Mass Rifle. I am looking for a club that is 24/7 with a not-so-strict guest policy.
There have been several threads here about Mass Rifle, which you should search for.

Mass Rifle seems to fit the criteria, but they do have the 3-visit guest policy that many places have. Is that policy strictly enforced?
If you are going to join a club, obey their rules, even if they aren't strictly enforced. I'm surprised that someone would contemplate joining a club while planning to break their rules.

Furthermore, there is a very valid point for those sorts of rules. If you are bringing the same guest to the club multiple times, at some point they should join the club.

As the officer of a club, if I caught someone breaking the rules and they said they knew the rule, broke it knowingly, but thought it wasn't strictly enforced, then I would likely not be inclined towards leniency.

I am leaning toward joining HSC since it is close to my work, but want to check out some other places first.
HSC is a great club.

Note, I'm not a member of Mass Rifle.

Last edited:
If you are going to join a club, obey their rules, even if they aren't strictly enforced. I'm surprised that someone would contemplate joining a club while planning to break their rules.

Furthermore, there is a very valid point for those sorts of rules. If you are bringing the same guest to the club multiple times, at some point they should join the club.

As the officer of a club, if I caught someone breaking the rules and they said they knew the rule, broke it knowingly, but thought it wasn't strictly enforced, then I would likely not be inclined towards leniency.

It is not a matter of me wanting to break the rules. When I visited a club in Woburn, the members told me that 3 times was a guidline and that it was OK to bring people a little more within reason. I understand the rule and why it is in place, but there is some gray area. For example, some clubs have a policy where your spouse is free to come with you as much as they would like. However, someone might have a girlfriend who they arent technically married to, but they might as well be a spouse. Or, maybe your girlfriend wants to come with you, but not necessarily shoot. Does that count as your 3 times?

Like someone said in a previous post, some clubs actually treat you like Adults. They assume you will be responsible. Sometimes bringing someone 4 times is still Okay.

It is not a matter of me wanting to break the rules. When I visited a club in Woburn, the members told me that 3 times was a guidline and that it was OK to bring people a little more within reason. I understand the rule and why it is in place, but there is some gray area. For example, some clubs have a policy where your spouse is free to come with you as much as they would like. However, someone might have a girlfriend who they arent technically married to, but they might as well be a spouse. Or, maybe your girlfriend wants to come with you, but not necessarily shoot. Does that count as your 3 times?
Read their rules. If it is not spelled out, then ask the officers for clarification.

Like someone said in a previous post, some clubs actually treat you like Adults. They assume you will be responsible. Sometimes bringing someone 4 times is still Okay.
Sorry, but this is different than your basic safety rule. It isn't a matter of being "responsible" or "irresponsible." It isn't a matter of judgment. This policy is based on the old adage of "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?" The club needs the dues from members to maintain the club, so they have set a limit on guests. They have decided what is acceptable. It isn't up to you to decide what is or isn't acceptable. You can obey their rules, ask them to change their rules, or join a different club.

This isn't about treating you like an adult. This is about the club deciding their rule on guests, and making sure that it is fairly applied to all members.

HSC is full of former MRA members.

<-------former MRA member, check the MRA thread in the gun clubs and reviews section

Cape Ann looks very nice but it's a little far for me.

Woburn Sportsmen's is a pretty nice place. They just rebuilt the highpower pits and they're in the process of extending the indoor range to 25 yards, any ammo. (At least any handgun ammo, not sure about rifle; it used to be 50-foot and lead-only.) The trap field is also lovely. You need to get sponsored (by a member or the BoD), go to a meeting, do a work day, and then go to another meeting, so it's not a fast process but it isn't too hard. Biggest problem there is that there are a few cranks who like to go around hassling people about rules that don't exist. (I gather it used to be a lot worse.)

Somebody mentioned round limits. I don't think Woburn Sportsmen's has any. At Mass Rifle there's no limit on the indoor 25-yard range, a ten-round limit for handguns and five for rifles on the 50 foot outdoor range, 10 and 8 on the 50 yard outdoor range, and single-load only on the 100/200 yard range. At Reading it's five rounds indoors and single-load (at least for rifles) on the 25/50/100 yard range, since they want you on the main highpower range if you're practicing rapids.

I spend a fair amount of time at all of Woburn Sportsmen's, Mass Rifle, and Reading Rifle & Revolver for different things. All three clubs have their annoyances, and also something to offer.

These 'round limits' are ridiculous. I don't understand how anybody who frequents this forum and complains about MA gun laws would then add insult to injury by supporting one of these clubs. It's like talking out of both sides of ones mouth.

These 'round limits' are ridiculous. I don't understand how anybody who frequents this forum and complains about MA gun laws would then add insult to injury by supporting one of these clubs. It's like talking out of both sides of ones mouth.
All I'm supporting in this thread is obeying a club's rules. If you don't like a club's rules, then leave or try to get them changed. There is undoubtedly a procedure to do change the rules.

I've been an officer of a club for ~10 years, and I've spent many hours in meetings debating parts of our rules, coming up with language for proposed changes, etc. I was able to get rid of a prohibition against carrying on the club property. It took us years to convince all the other directors and officers.

But clubs are run by people. Different people will look at the same situation and have different opinions. Internal club politics can make things difficult, and some people are very resistant to change. That's life.

As for MassRifle itself, I've never been a member and I've only been there once. So I won't pass judgment on the club itself.

And, finally, there will be something about every club that irritates you. Whether it irritates you so much as to make you head for a different club is a personal decision, and I don't think you should berate people for coming to a different decision than you.

Last edited:
Yep, the round limits are annoying at times. The thing is that you severely limit your choices of clubs that otherwise meet your needs if you automatically disqualify the clubs that have round limits. Once you eliminate the offending "round limit" clubs you probably also increase your driving distances and also the spare time you might have to shoot. It's a balancing act that probably can best be done by being a member at more than one club.

Last edited:

The clubs will never change without pressure from within. If you don't support them and they go under that land is forever lost to developers. One can stand on ceremony and shoot 5 times a year because they have to drive over an hour to shoot or they can get a local club and at least shoot some, while hoping to changes things inside the club.

BTW: The 5 round count your shots BS is FUD from the NRA. It has been safety lexicon for some time now. It is hard to break any club of that. Especially when you don't see young people getting into shooting sports. The best way to change this is to increase the amount of young people in shooting sports.

I am voting for change by not paying initiation fees and dues. I flat out won't join a club with those types of restrictions.

I wasn't pointing a finger at anyone in particular. And I understand they are private clubs and can enact any rules they wish.

My club should be a safe haven for my hobby. Not another place where I have to deal with arbitrary restrictions. If I have a license to own a firearm my club should respect that and not treat me like a child.

Last edited:
I am voting for change by not paying initiation fees and dues. I flat out won't join a club with those types of restrictions.
I understand your point, but the leadership may never have heard your vote. People leave clubs all the time -- someone just doesn't renew and that's that. And with membership climbing at almost all clubs, they won't care that someone has left.

I chose to stay, fight from within, and now our club's rules are greatly improved, IMNSHO. Yes, this was a long fight that required patience and hard work.

That said, you have to do what is right for you, and I clearly understand your choice.
My club should be a safe haven for my hobby. Not another place where I have to deal with arbitrary restrictions.
All clubs have rules and many of those rules are, by their very nature, arbitrary.

For example, consider the guest rule. If a club said you could bring as many guests as you want at a time, as many times as you want, that will likely get out of control very quickly. So what should the limits on guests be? 1 at time? 2? 5? How many times in a year should you be allowed to bring a guest? 3? 5? 10? Any choice is, by its very nature, arbitrary and a judgment call. Honorable people will look at the same situation and disagree about what the rule should be.

I disagree with X-rounds-in-mag rules (and my club doesn't have one), but I understand how they got there.

If I have a license to own a firearm my club should respect that and not treat me like a child.
I understand your point of view. I really do. Unfortunately, I've seen the bullet hole results of childish behavior all too often, and it is very, very hard to track down the miscreant. I can tell you from experience that just because someone has an LTC or FID doesn't mean they are responsible -- I've seen the bullet holes, damaged property, and trash left behind that proves otherwise. We have met the enemy and he is us.

Last edited:
I understand your point, but the leadership may never have heard your vote. People leave clubs all the time -- someone just doesn't renew and that's that. And with membership climbing at almost all clubs, they won't care that someone has left.

I chose to stay, fight from within, and now our club's rules are greatly improved, IMNSHO. Yes, this was a long fight that required patience and hard work.

That said, you have to do what is right for you, and I clearly understand your choice.

All clubs have rules and many of those rules are, by their very nature, arbitrary.

For example, consider the guest rule. If a club said you could bring as many guests as you want at a time, as many times as you want, that will likely get out of control very quickly. So what should the limits on guests be? 1 at time? 2? 5? How many times in a year should you be allowed to bring a guest? 3? 5? 10? Any choice is, by its very nature, arbitrary and a judgment call. Honorable people will look at the same situation and disagree about what the rule should be.

I disagree with X-rounds-in-mag rules (and my club doesn't have one), but I understand how they got there.

I understand your point of view. I really do. Unfortunately, I've seen the bullet hole results of childish behavior all too often, and it is very, very hard to track down the miscreant. We have met the enemy and he is us.

I'm not in any way advocating being unsafe, or breaking club rules. Once you join; you agree to abide by them. I see your point to and I applaud your efforts to try and change the rules from within. Childish or unsafe behavior should be dealt with by the club; but just like the state, they are pro-actively punishing everyone else because a very limited percentage of people can't abide by the rules.

This thread was extremely helpful and made me realize I would rather drive an extra 30 minutes and pay my membership fees and dues to a club in NH to avoid the 2nd class citizen treatment. I haven't ruled out ALL clubs on the North Shore yet; but I'm beginning to wonder if any of them offer the environment I'm looking for. I REALLY miss Ames Rifle. If anyone is looking for a South Shore club, PLEASE give them your money. They are fantastic.

I wasn't pointing a finger at anyone in particular. And I understand they are private clubs and can enact any rules they wish.

My club should be a safe haven for my hobby. Not another place where I have to deal with arbitrary restrictions. If I have a license to own a firearm my club should respect that and not treat me like a child.

Keep us in the loop as to what club you joined and why. There may be others that also need what you do.

How is that talking out of both sides. It's a rule, not a LAW. Every club has rules to keep people safe. Only way around it is to build your own range and even then you have to abide by local/state/federal laws.

The 5 round limit is to stem the morons who like to belt loop auto their guns, insure no stray rounds should something happen and the gun go full auto. I have been a member of MANY clubs (I change clubs whenever I move) I've never seen one without any kinds of Rules. Explain why the round limits are ridiculous. At what point do you NEED more then 5 rounds to target shoot? do you really need 30 rounds in your AR to practice shooting? Or are you just lazy and decided you needed to take a stand on "Something" and this was it.

As mentioned before, the 5 round limit is something that comes from the NRA which most clubs are sponsored by the NRA and must follow their "rules". Just like most clubs require you to be a member of the NRA.

IPSC/IPDA needs more, and they are allowed more at various ranges.

If you find a club with no rules. Let me know. I'll be sure to stay far away while people shoot gangster style and don't clear firelines before going down range.

Childish or unsafe behavior should be dealt with by the club; but just like the state, they are pro-actively punishing everyone else because a very limited percentage of people can't abide by the rules.
Having been on the other side when we implemented one particular odious rule, I saw the reason for it. I hated doing it, but at the time we had to fix the problem and it was our only feasible choice. It still sucks to have to dumb it because of the idiots.

I had been a member of HSC for several years. It is an awesome club, with generally "liberal" rules. But for me, it was ~35 minute drive and I ended up hardly ever going there. And even at HSC, one of the fellows who gives the range orientation gave me a really hard time once, made up non-existent rules, and was generally a pain in the backside.

People are people everywhere.

we have a winner! [banana] [party2] [banana]

i agree 100%. hence, I DRIVE PASSED 5 or so clubs on my way to HSC.

yup... I REFUSE to support any club with these stupid rules and ran by FUDDs.

[devil2]

Back
Top Bottom