Looking to get a sub $300 9mm for range shooting only

Yeah, I really like this gun too. Very comfortable and I would say attractive. I would have bought more of them (for the apocalypse) but, I am told, if you try to free state their Mass crimped magazines, they split in half as that line around the middle is actually a cut all, or nearly all, the way through.
I bought them for a specific purpose, and the 10-round magazines were fine for that.

Many will laugh, but I have SW9VE's that were like-new that I paid $179-$199 for, and use to train others with. Work fine and triggers have smoothed out fairly well...
When the Shields first came out, people couldn't give these things away. I bought six of them that were basically LNIB. All sub-$200 dollars. Many with 3 or 4 spare magazines because of the
offer S&W had at the time. Are they Glocks? Nope. Do they shoot? Yep...

Plus. I don't get upset when they are dropped or damaged by newbies. (mostly during tear-down/reassembly part of course...)

Lifetime Warranty too...

View attachment 574041

Now, here's something you can laugh at... I have four in .40 S&W also... [rofl]
Im surprised they not all in 40

The SW smegma 40 club is a real thing

It's a f***ing cult like the church of scientology or something. 🤣

Many will laugh, but I have SW9VE's that were like-new that I paid $179-$199 for, and use to train others with. Work fine and triggers have smoothed out fairly well...
When the Shields first came out, people couldn't give these things away. I bought six of them that were basically LNIB. All sub-$200 dollars. Many with 3 or 4 spare magazines because of the

Plus. I don't get upset when they are dropped or damaged by newbies. (mostly during tear-down/reassembly part of course...)

Lifetime Warranty too...

View attachment 574041

I had one and paid 250 for it never jammed the only gripe was the trig

The only reason I'm not interested in Canik is it's a full size polymer striker and I've already got two Glocks just like it. The only poly striker I will consider is if it's a compact or subcompact.
FF98E53C-C6B6-4039-86A1-647929B3F2BD.png

You sure?

Last edited:
Even in the free world a $300 glock is probably some clapped out Gen2 thing anyways.
Just before kung flu I grabbed a police trade in gen 3 23 for 325, then for 110 shipped I grabbed a 9mm conversion barrel. The gun had zero holster wear, basically un-used.

Only want it so I can shoot at the range this year with decently affordable 9mm ammo. No intention to keep it for long, waiting for PT92's to become more available and go down in price as I don't feel they're worth the $600 sellers are asking for them now.

So here's what has caught my eye that comes in under $300:

Taurus TH9
Taurus GX4 (Close enough to $300)
Ruger P85/P89
Ruger LC9s
Rock Island MAPP (CZ clone) (used)
Lo-Point C9

Bonus points if it's a compact as I don't care for this to be a full size gun. I figure on the off chance I like it and keep it it'll be smaller than the 92 I eventually get, so it'll have some practical value. SCCY I have no interest in, the DAO trigger is awful, and the Taurus G2/G3 stuff is cheap and all, but I figure if I'm gonna buy Taurus it may as well be a DA/SA or the slimmer, more practical GX4.
Try and pick up a PSA Dagger.

Lifetime Warranty too...

View attachment 574041

But there are pre-bans available for this one

Lifetime Warranty too...

View attachment 574041

I’ve got one of these too. It’s pretty nice for what it is, and very reliable. The trigger is quite heavy, but that can be upgraded. I have not made changes to mine, but have thought about it…. I would definitely buy another if I ran across one at a good price.

Also what on earth are people smoking these days - this is the second guy in the last week in this forum to inquire about TAURUS guns. The other guy wanted a Taurus snubby. Is Taurus good now? Something I'm missing?

Also what on earth are people smoking these days - this is the second guy in the last week in this forum to inquire about TAURUS guns. The other guy wanted a Taurus snubby. Is Taurus good now? Something I'm missing?
I will say I love my Taurus TX22. They nailed that one. Well except for the shit sights and cheap plastic mags 😂
Mines been ultra reliable thousands upon thousands of rounds later.

No experience with their centerfire guns

Better than they have been. The new factory in Georgia seems to have helped a lot.

But there are pre-bans available for this one
These guns are trainers. Nothing more, nothing less. Not worth the investment really. If it was all I had or all I could get and came across a full-size mag for a decent price. I'd think about it.

LC9s jammed out of the factory every few rounds. Haven't tried it since they serviced it, yet.

DB9 worked pretty well. If you like glocks might be worth a shot
CPX-2 worked ok
I had a similar problem. FTF. It was the 9round mags I bought. Ruger replaced them with no hassle. Has not happened since.

I'm probably missing something but why would anyone waste $300 dollars on a crappy range gun?
I am not sure what exists in that price range, but my budget option would always be something used, probably a police trade in or surplus.
These guns usually look like shit on the outside but are fine on the inside, might need a clean and some springs. Carried a lot, but rarely fired. Something full size: Glock 17, Beretta 92, Sig P226, M&P or whatever.
Please don't get some shitty cheap estonian mouse gun saturday night special thing, you are just going to waste time and money trying to make it run.

I have a PT92 that i bought in 1987, it has been dead nuts reliable all these years, i still enjoy range days with it. I must have gotten lucky, seems many have had different experiences.

I had a similar problem. FTF. It was the 9round mags I bought. Ruger replaced them with no hassle. Has not happened since.
Yup, thats what mine did. They got stuck in there, angled up a bit. I have the italian and the us mags and they both did it (4 total) so I think it was something else

Back
Top Bottom