Looking to get a sub $300 9mm for range shooting only

When I hear “inexpensive” I always think Hi point

Or go back to Gen 1 SW semi autos?
The major issue I have with the 9mm Hi Point is its far larger and heavier than other 9mm options that don't cost much more and hold more rounds. They work, but if there's any Hi Point I would want to own it'd be the .45, which is on my long list.

Skinflints.
Skinflints everywhere.

The interesting part is the OP is flinting on a gun in order to waste ammo while he hopes another gun goes down in price, so by the time he buys the other $50 cheaper, he will lose $100 on the resale of this gun and will have wasted maybe $1K+ in 9mm.

Very strange. Its like common core math.
It would be $150 less than I could get the PT92 for now and after I sell the cheap gun I'll probably lose $50 on it, so doing the math that puts me ahead by $100, but typical NES behavior you shoot your mouth off without knowing what you're talking about.

It would be $150 less than I could get the PT92 for now and after I sell the cheap gun I'll probably lose $50 on it, so doing the math that puts me ahead by $100, but typical NES behavior you shoot your mouth off without knowing what you're talking about.
If you don't mind, I'll shoot my mouth off.

You'll be behind $300, or whatever you pay for the cheap gun. Why? Because it's rubbish, and why buy a used piece of rubbish for $250, when you can buy a new one for $300? It will sit in the classifieds for years, you'll end up being stuck with it. Go ahead, look at the classifieds, see what is bumped 200 times.

The major issue I have with the 9mm Hi Point is its far larger and heavier than other 9mm options that don't cost much more and hold more rounds. They work, but if there's any Hi Point I would want to own it'd be the .45, which is on my long list.
I have seen some older gen SW (pre ban era) for good prices pop up here and there.
For range use is size that important or even mag capacity?
When Im trying to shoot accurately a heavy pistol rifle feels right in my hands and cuts down on that wobble some

If you don't mind, I'll shoot my mouth off.

You'll be behind $300, or whatever you pay for the cheap gun. Why? Because it's rubbish, and why buy a used piece of rubbish for $250, when you can buy a new one for $300? It will sit in the classifieds for years, you'll end up being stuck with it. Go ahead, look at the classifieds, see what is bumped 200 times.
I have to agree here , unless theres alot of accessories used hi points dont sell great. I know more people with hi points than any other pistol or carbine - non of them even considered buying a new one and most are Skinflints

If you can sell your hipoint for only a 15-20% loss your doing great

It took me a few months to decide on getting the PT92 and once I made the decision on that it was final. Beretta quality and CS is spotty these days and Stinkfield just recently discontinued the XD-E.

I almost always bring a .22 with me when I go to shoot, but I'm running low on primers and getting tired of the cost of factory .40 ammo, so a 9mm needs to happen this Spring otherwise I'm gonna be stuck shooting black powder on the cheap with homemade caps or I'm gonna be in the poor house shooting .40 all the time.
Take that $300 or what ever and invest in reloading
If your looking to range blasting casting is a option also.

I dont know what cheep range blasting 40 cal cost but you should be able to beat that cost reloading even with todays prices. ?
Funny thing is I carry a 40 - not so much by choice just hapoened to really like the pistol. 4013 tsw pre rail model.
I shoot it enough to keep the rust off.
I dont bother reloading for 40 as my ammo stash of 40 is deep enough for what I use .

Range time is usually alot of 22lr
Maybe some vintage rifle blasting.

I'm probably missing something but why would anyone waste $300 dollars on a crappy range gun?
I am not sure what exists in that price range, but my budget option would always be something used, probably a police trade in or surplus.
These guns usually look like shit on the outside but are fine on the inside, might need a clean and some springs. Carried a lot, but rarely fired. Something full size: Glock 17, Beretta 92, Sig P226, M&P or whatever.
Please don't get some shitty cheap estonian mouse gun saturday night special thing, you are just going to waste time and money trying to make it run.
Really depends on what your end goal is.
I know A LOT of range only shooters.
They dont care about group size, split times, scores
Give them a back stop with clay targets , water bottles , big steel plates and they wont gripe about the misses and just cheer on the hits
Almost all of them have Hi Point carbines.

Skinflints.
Skinflints everywhere.

The interesting part is the OP is flinting on a gun in order to waste ammo while he hopes another gun goes down in price, so by the time he buys the other $50 cheaper, he will lose $100 on the resale of this gun and will have wasted maybe $1K+ in 9mm.

Very strange. Its like common core math.
Its the have to shoot something syndrom?
Im guessing its the savings between 9 and 40 hes going to put aside🤪

LOL ... typical NES behavior, assumes will get a lot more for a used POS gun, turns an easy transaction into something very complicated to save $100-150.

I hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
I have seen some older gen SW (pre ban era) for good prices pop up here and there.
For range use is size that important or even mag capacity?
When Im trying to shoot accurately a heavy pistol rifle feels right in my hands and cuts down on that wobble some
I've got a number of the S&W autos, the first series (59/39) is a bit lower in quality and the sights suck, but after that they are good, and the will all take the pre-ban mags, even the new ones, and there are a lot of pre-ban mags out there. PDs, Feds, RCMP all used these at one point. But the prices have been going up, a well worn one might be at $400, most are higher. It would have to be pretty crappy to be at $300.

Oh, and it was featured in Miami Vice so it has that going for it.

I have to agree here , unless theres alot of accessories used hi points dont sell great. I know more people with hi points than any other pistol or carbine - non of them even considered buying a new one and most are Skinflints

If you can sell your hipoint for only a 15-20% loss your doing great
Not intending to buy a Hi Point, at this moment it's either going to be a Taurus G-Unit, Taurus THC, or a Ruger P series.

Take that $300 or what ever and invest in reloading
If your looking to range blasting casting is a option also.

I dont know what cheep range blasting 40 cal cost but you should be able to beat that cost reloading even with todays prices. ?
Funny thing is I carry a 40 - not so much by choice just hapoened to really like the pistol. 4013 tsw pre rail model.
I shoot it enough to keep the rust off.
I dont bother reloading for 40 as my ammo stash of 40 is deep enough for what I use .

Range time is usually alot of 22lr
Maybe some vintage rifle blasting.
Can't reload willy nilly when primers haven't been available for 2 years. What I have for primers now I'm saving for other stuff, in the meantime 9mm is available and almost half the price it was a year ago.

I’ll chip in the $25 just to end this thread.

I've got a number of the S&W autos, the first series (59/39) is a bit lower in quality and the sights suck, but after that they are good, and the will all take the pre-ban mags, even the new ones, and there are a lot of pre-ban mags out there. PDs, Feds, RCMP all used these at one point. But the prices have been going up, a well worn one might be at $400, most are higher. It would have to be pretty crappy to be at $300.

S&W 5906 is pretty nice!

I’ll chip in the $25 just to end this thread.

Too expensive for the OP?

Ok OP wants to by an inaccurate $300 9 that he/she considers to be crappy so he/she can practice missing targets instead of using the nice 40 that he/she owns because it,s to expensive to shoot and he/she doesn't want to use their existing primers to reload. And doesn't want to buy the 9 he/she really wants because it's over priced by $100. Some of this logic seems based on the fact that factory 9 has come down in price. A quick look at target sports shows 9 around 34-35 cents a round. Factory 40 (granted its aluminum cased but it's cci and shoots fine from my experience) is at 42 cents a round. Based on that, the $300 if put towards 40 ammo to offset the price difference with 9 comes out to a little over 4000 rounds of factory ammo purchased vs a crappy 9 that has no ammo and now OP has to spend more money to buy 9 ammo and probably more money for mags, trigger job, new sights etc on the crappy 9 to make it not crappy.

Also if Broccoli Ingesias found out the OP had purchased 4000 rounds of 40 he would probably buy the OP beers so they could discuss the greatness of the 40 caliber round thus saving the the Op beer money for the night that could then be put towards more 40

great , glad I bought mine when it seemed no one wanted them

Not intending to buy a Hi Point, at this moment it's either going to be a Taurus G-Unit, Taurus THC, or a Ruger P series.
Eh what ever it is , if you dont loose more than 30% when trying to unload it …thumbs up to you sir

Also if @Broccoli Iglesias found out the OP had purchased 4000 rounds of 40 he would probably buy the OP beers so they could discuss the greatness of the 40 caliber round thus saving the the Op beer money for the night that could then be put towards more 40
[thumbsup]
Also, atsigned and spel-korected @Broccoli Iglesias for you.

Ok OP wants to by an inaccurate $300 9 that he/she considers to be crappy so he/she can practice missing targets instead of using the nice 40 that he/she owns because it,s to expensive to shoot and he/she doesn't want to use their existing primers to reload. And doesn't want to buy the 9 he/she really wants because it's over priced by $100. Some of this logic seems based on the fact that factory 9 has come down in price. A quick look at target sports shows 9 around 34-35 cents a round. Factory 40 (granted its aluminum cased but it's cci and shoots fine from my experience) is at 42 cents a round. Based on that, the $300 if put towards 40 ammo to offset the price difference with 9 comes out to a little over 4000 rounds of factory ammo purchased vs a crappy 9 that has no ammo and now OP has to spend more money to buy 9 ammo and probably more money for mags, trigger job, new sights etc on the crappy 9 to make it not crappy.

Also if Broccoli Ingesias found out the OP had purchased 4000 rounds of 40 he would probably buy the OP beers so they could discuss the greatness of the 40 caliber round thus saving the the Op beer money for the night that could then be put towards more 40
If someone buys 4K rounds of .40 and then skinflitns on $150-200 for a gun, I would b*tch slap them, that person doesn't deserve a proper punch.

Then I would buy him a beer for making me laugh.

So you're saying I shouldn't buy any new 9mm pistol no matter what it costs and just buy .40 ammo?

What has the world come to?

You act like I will be flat unable to sell whatever 9mm I buy without a $100+ loss. Even if I do lose $100 I consider that acceptable as I at least will have gotten to try something different and there's the chance I may like it enough I won't bother with getting the 92.

The logic of whatever he was trying to accomplish in the original post is highly questionable, I dont get it but I just brushed it aside and got to whatever I believed was left of the
real actual meat/substance/core remaining. That's all you can do when someones flintin hard and the question becomes generic. A lot of gun buyers just make up stuff to make themselves feel good or some weird justification/validation internally, whatever, not my problem.... [rofl]

"Don't even point" basically

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-NgeXl-PPA

The logic of whatever he was trying to accomplish in the original post is highly questionable, I dont get it but I just brushed it aside and got to whatever I believed was left of the
real actual meat/substance/core remaining. That's all you can do when someones flintin hard and the question becomes generic. A lot of gun buyers just make up stuff to make themselves feel good or some weird justification/validation internally, whatever, not my problem.... [rofl]

"Don't even point" basically

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-NgeXl-PPA

Let's say I buy a P89 for $350, then after 6 months I sell it for $275 and get the PT92 for $150 less than what I can get it for now... what's wrong with that?

I mean, Jesus fukking dead Christ, this is supposed to be a gun forum and y'all are talking like old ladies.

Let's say I buy a P89 for $350, then after 6 months I sell it for $275 and get the PT92 for $150 less than what I can get it for now... what's wrong with that?

I mean, Jesus fukking dead Christ, this is supposed to be a gun forum and y'all are talking like old ladies.
why would something you buy today drop by $75 in 6 months?

this thread makes my head hurt

That's a lot of mental gymnastics over a tiny amount of cash.... [rofl] really?

why would something you buy today drop by $75 in 6 months?

this thread makes my head hurt
Because he is buying a POS gun. It would realistically drop by $100, unless he finds another skinflint to sell it to.

Also, OP is looking at Taurus, those POS guns lose value faster than a car. As soon as you leave the shop those guns lose $100 instantly.

That's a lot of mental gymnastics over a tiny amount of cash.... [rofl] really?
But bro, he loses $75 on one gun but saves $150 on the other, netting $75. Totally worth it for $75 in savings. (Sarc).

What Is not being calculated is also the wasted ammo shooting with a gun he doesn't really want.

But bro, he loses $75 on one gun but saves $150 on the other, netting $75. Totally worth it for $75 in savings. (Sarc).

What Is not being calculated is also the wasted ammo shooting with a gun he doesn't really want.
OP math:
buy 100.00 in scratch tickets
Hit for 60.00

Tells friends ‘Hey I won 60.00 today!’

No. No you didn’t. You lost 40.00 is all that happened you f***ing dolt.

Back
Top Bottom