LTCs with PIN numbers...

P

Phaedo1982

I'm waiting on my LTC to come in the "great" state of MA. I found a local gun shop with a good deal on a used S&W Model 64-3 revolver and I went there today. The gun inspected well and I wanted to have him hold it. He said he would, but I'd have to pay for it in full, which I did. I asked if my uncle could pick up the gun, as he has a Class A LTC - and has for over 15 years.

We went back to the shop to pick up the firearm and my uncle pulls out his LTC and starts the paperwork. The owner asks for his "PIN" number, to which my uncle responded "WTF is my PIN number?" He hadn't bought a gun since his last LTC expired and didn't realize that he needed a PIN upon renewal. Last card had a fingerprint to scan, I believe. His new card specifically states that a PIN in required to be given.

Dealer says, "That happens all the time; most people don't know their PIN, but we need it to finish the transaction. Go to your local PD and they will give it to you." The owner also said that some towns still use the older fingerprint method and said the PIN is a complete hassle.

So, we drive down to the local PD and the dispatcher says that my uncle will have to call on Thurs. to speak with the licensing officer. I guess he must not be able to open the filing cabinet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has a PIN as well. Once your uncle gets it, put it in his cell phone.
It [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] should have been on a print out that came with his most recent license.

Yeah, that's what I think. He said it would be near impossible for him to locate it at this point, as he's going through a divorce and his wife threw everything he owns in a camper on their property.

Would the local PD be able to provide him with it or does it have to be mailed out from the state?

Welcome to the club. Went thru the same thing a couple months ago. If the gun shop has a fingerprint scanner, they use that. If they don't have one, or if the scanner can't read the fingerprint, then you need the PIN number. Took me two weeks to finally connect with the right person at the PD who could look it up for me.

So, we drive down to the local PD and the dispatcher says that my uncle will have to call on Thurs. to speak with the licensing officer. I guess he must not be able to open the filing cabinet.

Chances are if he's a dispatcher he knows how to open a file cabinet. The problem is the cabinet is probably located in an office that has limited access.

Mine is written on the sig line. That way I can't loose it.

That's exactly what he's going to do when he gets it. When the PIN was mentioned other customers starting groaning about it as well and even the shop owner admitted it's a hassle, but it's part of the process now.

I'm waiting on my LTC to come in the "great" state of MA. I found a local gun shop with a good deal on a used S&W Model 64-3 revolver and I went there today. The gun inspected well and I wanted to have him hold it. He said he would, but I'd have to pay for it in full, which I did. I asked if my uncle could pick up the gun, as he has a Class A LTC - and has for over 15 years.

How is this not a straw purchase?[rolleyes]

I thought the same thing....

But back to the PIN. I got a copy of mine instantly when I talked to the Officer that handles the licenses. I then wrote it on my LTC with a Sharpie pen.

Well, technically, if I paid for it, I can see the argument that it is a "straw purchase," but he will be holding the item and I'll only be using it at the range, with him, until my LTC comes in. If for some strange reason it was denied, he'd keep the gun and resell it.

I'm retired military and the guy was a vet. Maybe he was trying to give me a break.

Well, technically, if I paid for it, I can see the argument that it is a "straw purchase," but he will be holding the item and I'll only be using it at the range, with him, until my LTC comes in. If for some strange reason it was denied, he'd keep the gun and resell it.

I'm retired military and the guy was a vet. Maybe he was trying to give me a break.

maybe, but it is still a federal felony.

I thought the same thing....

But back to the PIN. I got a copy of mine instantly when I talked to the Officer that handles the licenses. I then wrote it on my LTC with a Sharpie pen.

On the paperwork I received with my LTC and PIN, it specifically stated that the PIN# is NOT to be written on the license.

On the paperwork I received with my LTC and PIN, it specifically stated that the PIN# is NOT to be written on the license.

I agree. Do you write your PIN on your debit card? People liken that to the same situation with your LTC. Especially for me - I have no fingerprint on it so it's only my PIN. The picture of me is horrible - I look like a fat old man on prednisone. I could see anyone who is female trying to use my license if they pull their hair back and put on glasses.

You can always take a number known only to you and add it to the PIN before writing it down (without carry of the digits to make it simple to reverse) - basically a cryptographic one time pad.

Four Seasons recommends you store it in your cell phone under "Four Seasons" :).

How is this not a straw purchase?[rolleyes]

Is an uncle picking up a gun for a nephew considered a bad thing in Massachusetts? If that is the case, Massachusetts gun owners have really been whipped into submission.

When I hear the term "straw purchase", I think of a crack whore or a naive grandmother with a clean record who is buying guns in order to give them to a prohibited person. I don't picture a person (who has gone through the invasive MA Class A process) buying a gun so that it isn't out of stock when a nephew wants to buy it. The only people who should be dropping terms like "federal felony" are the Brady Bunch.

Is an uncle picking up a gun for a nephew considered a bad thing in Massachusetts? If that is the case, Massachusetts gun owners have really been whipped into submission.

When I hear the term "straw purchase", I think of a crack whore or a naive grandmother with a clean record who is buying guns in order to give them to a prohibited person. I don't picture a person (who has gone through the invasive MA Class A process) buying a gun so that it isn't out of stock when a nephew wants to buy it. The only people who should be dropping terms like "federal felony" are the Brady Bunch.

Its not a Massachusetts issue, its a federal issue. If your paying for a gun and it is being sold/transferred to your uncle (which seems to be the case given what you have said) to later be given to you - this is a straw purchase.
you may be right IRT the spirit of the law, but what you have described is a straw purchase and a federal felony

I'm sure that 90% of us agree with you in spirit. But you see, that's the thing about Felonies in MA, they don't "break" in your favor, unless you happen to be the DA. [wink]

Thank you. I thought that the "federal felony" accusation was a bit harsh, as well. Some people are very "black and white," I guess.

I'm retired military who has a spotless record (other than minor traffic stuff) and I've taken the MA approved course and also submitted my DD214 form as well.

It's hardly a "straw purchase" intended for someone who isn't able to obtain the firearm legally. I understand the law doesn't care, but neither did the gun shop owner. He didn't seem to make an issue out of it.

It's hardly a "straw purchase" .

Actually, its exactly a straw purchase. Buying a gun for someone who is not lawfully able to do so. As others have said, we aren't ripping on you personally, just pointing out that this isn't really something you want to post about on a public forum.

OK, I just read the part where he will store it and you will only see it when he brings it to the range. Grab a few FA-10 face to face transfer forms when you get your license so you can transfer it over to yourself and then waste hours perusing the classifieds here.

Last edited:
you may be right IRT the spirit of the law, but what you have described is a straw purchase and a federal felony

A straw purchase is the act of buying a gun to give it to a prohibited person. The OP wouldn't be applying for a license if he was a prohibited person. If there is a plan to transfer the gun to the OP when he obtains his license, I cannot see how that is a straw purchase.

The guy was asking about pin numbers and you started dropping terms like "federal felony". Does that seem a little over the top?

Thank you. I thought that the "federal felony" accusation was a bit harsh, as well. Some people are very "black and white," I guess.

I'm retired military who has a spotless record (other than minor traffic stuff) and I've taken the MA approved course and also submitted my DD214 form as well.

It's hardly a "straw purchase" intended for someone who isn't able to obtain the firearm legally. I understand the law doesn't care, but neither did the gun shop owner. He didn't seem to make an issue out of it.

its the first question on the 4473. Just because the dealer doesn't care, you have a spotless and soon will have your license, it does not make it legal

When I was waiting for my LTC I saw a gun at a local shop that I liked. I gave the owner some money and I asked that he didn't display it and keep it in the back. It never changed hands. I don't see why you can just pay for it and he doesn't display it. Hell if all else falls through you buy $XXX of paper weights at his shop. That's what I did. I mean what's done is done. I'm sure you can reword it as your uncle wants the gun, you bought it for him as a gift. He will shoot it once. Get sick of it. Then give it to you once you get your LTC. Go ahead. Youre turn.

Back
Top Bottom