• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1A brass damage

union

NES Member
I finally got around to shooting my Springfield M1A. Just to check function. Shoots great. Very pleased with it. I picked up my brass in the off chance that I will reload some day. I noticed they all had similar dings on them. I'm not overly concerned about it but I don't know if this is normal for these things. Gun is brand new never fired Springfield M1A standard model.

Attachments

• 20230601_141241.jpg
    20230601_141241.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 35
I finally got around to shooting my Springfield M1A. Just to check function. Shoots great. Very pleased with it. I picked up my brass in the off chance that I will reload some day. I noticed they all had similar dings on them. I'm not overly concerned about it but I don't know if this is normal for these things. Gun is brand new never fired Springfield M1A standard model.
What does the bolt face look like?

Burrs on or edge not broken on extractor, perhaps? I haven't shot mine in long enough to not remember if it liked dinging up brass.

That’s nothing compared to the marks on my 7.62x39 brass from my AR and AK

Did you look at the bolt face?

If brass is getting dinged, there's going to be a brass mark at the ding point. Use a good flashlight and inspect it.

An extractor usually dings the forward side of the rim, usually caused by a tight chamber, an over gassed gun, or hot loaded ammo.

What is pictured is minor.

I'm thinking it's the extractor. It does have brass marks on it. The bolt face as well but not in a way that is consistent with the marks on the casings. There are also some brass marks on the the deflector. That could be part of the issue. I don't really have any experience with this rifle other then throwing some rounds down range yesterday. As I said I'm not terribly concerned since it functioned fine was just being curious.

Attachments

• 20230601_191055.jpg
    20230601_191055.jpg
    889.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230601_191110.jpg
    20230601_191110.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 27
I'm thinking it's the extractor. It does have brass marks on it. The bolt face as well but not in a way that is consistent with the marks on the casings. There are also some brass marks on the the deflector. That could be part of the issue. I don't really have any experience with this rifle other then throwing some rounds down range yesterday. As I said I'm not terribly concerned since it functioned fine was just being curious.
The bolt face with all the brass that is deposited on it is just indicative of soft brass. The ding marks are probably also because of soft brass.

The bolt rotates as it's locking up and unlocking and that is what is "painting" your bolt face around the center surface.

I'd be curious to see what that bolt face would look like after cleaning it well, then firing some Lake City ammo which has a bit harder brass and leaves less deposits.

I've encountered that type of bolt face brass deposition with CAVIM 7.62x51 ammo as it is softer brass also. You can tell immediately when reloading mixed brass when a CAVIM case enters the resizing die.

So far, not seeing anything that appears to be worrisome.

My M1a beats the shit out of my brass also. No big deal, i just reload it as normal....Just keep an eye on the cases for the telltale case head seperation ring, and case neck cracks.
Yup, and if it fits in a case gage without a rim ding obstructing it, they're good to go.

Imo that brass looks almost pristine.

You should see what the brass that comes out if my m1garand looks like lol

Last edited:
I haven't shot my M14 in quite a while, but I'm seeing firing pin "cratering" on that case (the OP's). That's when the firing pin hole in the bolt is just a little oversized and the primer cup "flows" back into it upon detonation.
Not a big deal; I just don't remember ever seeing it on my 308 brass.

I haven't shot my M14 in quite a while, but I'm seeing firing pin "cratering" on that case (the OP's). That's when the firing pin hole in the bolt is just a little oversized and the primer cup "flows" back into it upon detonation.
Not a big deal; I just don't remember ever seeing it on my 308 brass.
Yes, a slightly oversized firing pin hole and maybe a soft primer cup.

I'd like to see results of some good military ammo with harder brass and primer cups fired from the OP's gun. I'd venture a guess that the brass deposits and cratering would be minimized greatly.

+1 try different ammo and see what you get. Regardless, what I see wouldn't concern me. Except for AR deflector dings, I find M1A's to be slightly harder on brass vs. .308 AR's.

Or brass shot out of an AK47 !
My sks tears up brass as well. Mostly because the rifle ejects brass straight up with authority and they bounce off the outdoor range overhead ceiling or fly out onto the gravel after falling 20 feet from the air. Lol. The brass always has big dents in it.

My sks tears up brass as well. Mostly because the rifle ejects brass straight up with authority and they bounce off the outdoor range overhead ceiling or fly out onto the gravel after falling 20 feet from the air. Lol. The brass always has big dents in it.

FYI, i fabbed a cheap brass "buffer" using electrical tape on the back edge of the dust cover. Works awesome minimising "AK brass dings" . I can post a pic of my Opap if you want to see how i did the mod.

Back
Top Bottom