Machine Gunz

OK all, take it easy on the new guy...

I just went green (license to possess an MG, that is) and am (of course) about to extend my checkbook, risk divorce and spend anything left of my kid's inheritance on an NFA purchase. Having read through many of the threads here, I cannot locate a comprehensive listing of weapons that are allowed in Mass - if there is such a thing. Is it as simple as counting the "evil bits" and then deciding for ourselves? Being non-LEO and non dealer seems to limit the options tremendously.

Leaning on the group here a little, your experiences on the Mass legality and fun factor of the Ruger K/AC556? I have preban mini-14 and 30 and enjoy the platform. Stay away or save as an option?

John

Last edited:
You can buy any transferable MG , the only limiting factor is your check book balance. The Ruger is a good first MG , just that you might have a hard time finding a indoor range to use.

Yup, MGs are good to go once you get your "green card" (License to Possess a Machine Gun). You are limited by the same thing all MG buyers throughout the country are limited by - the Hughes Amendment to FOPA '86, which banned "normal people" from possessing machine guns that were not registered prior to May 1986.

Specifically in regards to the MA Assault Weapons Ban, machine guns are not restricted in any way by it because the AWB only applies to semi-automatic guns.

MGs that are civilian owned or "transferable" are all pre-1986 so the AWB doesn't apply, as mentioned above due to the law being for semi automatics. The only state I know of that has awb issues is in CT where the mg must be full auto only or it falls under their awb. You can own any of them as long as your chief allows a MG license and will sign off on the form 4. You can use a trust to bypass the chief signing off but that mya be going away in 6 months to a year.

Cheapest MG is a M11 or a MAC 10. Expect around 5k cost. A ton of accessories make it a good pistol caliber choice.

Rugers are the cheapest rifle caliber mg but Ruger no longer supports them. Barrel changes are more difficult than on an AR type platform also. One 22 kit is available by ceiner but unless you find one, they are hard to get as he won't ship to MA.

A lightning link might be in your price range and they open up the AR platform to you

Last edited:
My first MG was a MAC 10 and was fun at first but it was a one trick pony ( way before the uppers that they have now)
Cost wise and parts i would consider a Powder Springs or a RPB MAC with a new aftermarket upper

on single shot machine guns are allowed in Mass...lmao...

congrats on the green card.

My condolences for your anticipated future losses....financial that is...lol

Last edited:
Yup, legally speaking 3 (or 2, or 4) round burst is exactly the same. If it fires more than one shot per trigger pull, it's a machine gun.

Yup, legally speaking 3 (or 2, or 4) round burst is exactly the same. If it fires more than one shot per trigger pull, it's a machine gun.

In fact, some of you may have seen the "double barrel" 1911s that a company was making. These things (basically two 1911s welded together) have to have two separate triggers, because if there were only one trigger the ATF would consider them machine guns. Same thing for the side by side AR someone was making.

one more thing to throw out - my wife actually opened this can of worms since I've been shopping and comparing prices. I've got a spreadsheet of options and availability already. (Just a little obsessive) She said, "Get the one you want, not the one you can afford now because you'll just get both eventually." I hate it when she uses logic against me. I've gotten some correspondence as a result of this thread. The one I REALLY want is out of my price range but there is another AC556 in great shape available I can afford. With traditional firearms, I've never had to really wait and save; I've typically shopped the best price, made my best deal and found my gun in a week or two. This is really going to try my patience. Wait? Creatively afford both? How have YOU all dealt with this?

Thank all..
John

John

The shock of entering the NFA market today is different than just a few years ago. With all things relevant, making a decision as to which weapon to buy can be a bit frustrating. I would give this advise to you and any new class 3 buyer: Find the gun you want and buy it, if your able. Buy the gun to shoot and don't treat it as an investment. Most likely you will buy another, and trying to chase and purchase the one you want(ed) may never occur. NFA prices are not gong down, it is simple supply and demand. Waiting for a deal is not always going to yield a good "deal". Finally: NFA IS ADDICTIVE!!! P.S. wait times are bout 6 months if there are no issues.

Good solid advice, alpha1. PM sent says your mailbox is full

What we spoke about via text is the way I really want to go but is a bit of a stretch financially at the moment. I'll just keep saving and my first mg purchase will be this summer.

Last edited:
Don't know if there are any full auto friendly clubs in your area, but the Monadnock shoots are drawing more and more FA shooters. Also, the Harvard club has a couple of FA ranges that are quite active at times. Don't overlook the MAC. With a good stock and suppressor (or a barrel extension with forward vertical grip) it becomes much more controllable. Jack.

Last edited:
Don't know if there are any full auto friendly clubs in your area, but the Monadnock shots are drawing more and more FA shooters. Also, the Harvard club has a couple of FA ranges that are quite active at times. Don't overlook the MAC. With a good stock and suppressor (or a barrel extension with forward vertical grip) it becomes much more controllable. Jack.

Thanks Jack - much appreciated.

John

The shock of entering the NFA market today is different than just a few years ago. With all things relevant, making a decision as to which weapon to buy can be a bit frustrating. I would give this advise to you and any new class 3 buyer: Find the gun you want and buy it, if your able. Buy the gun to shoot and don't treat it as an investment. Most likely you will buy another, and trying to chase and purchase the one you want(ed) may never occur. NFA prices are not gong down, it is simple supply and demand. Waiting for a deal is not always going to yield a good "deal". Finally: NFA IS ADDICTIVE!!! P.S. wait times are bout 6 months if there are no issues.

I will add to this. If at all possible buy the MOST EXPENSIVE MG you want (that you can afford). Prices have and will only gone up. That $20K gun you can "barely" afford this year will be $30K gun you can't afford in a few years. Unless you have extreme wealth I strongly recommend buying only guns you "want" not guns for "investment"...

Don't know if there are any full auto friendly clubs in your area...

Hanson Rod and Gun is very MG friendly...
20150530_102442_zpswvx5dhk1.jpg

There are 182,619 machine guns in civilian hands in the USA. That number will only decrease over time.

Just a quick thank you for all the advice and knowledge sharing that has helped me select my first machine gun. Form 4's are signed and headed to the PD for CLEO signature and the MG is paid for in full. Now we wait. With any luck, I'll have a nice Christmas present to look forward to. Again, thanks to everyone who reached out over the past month.

Just a quick thank you for all the advice and knowledge sharing that has helped me select my first machine gun. Form 4's are signed and headed to the PD for CLEO signature and the MG is paid for in full. Now we wait. With any luck, I'll have a nice Christmas present to look forward to. Again, thanks to everyone who reached out over the past month.

you lucky dog. what did you end up going with?

you lucky dog. what did you end up going with?

I ended up selecting alpha1's HTA conversion Mini-14 in near flawless condition. The store of parts, sparing and accessories that came with it made the purchase very compelling. It has a .22LR conversion kit with it as well and while I shudder at cleaning a full auto after a few mags downrange, it was certainly a bonus. After meeting him in person, seeing the gun and the care in which it was kept, the choice was simple.

I ended up selecting alpha1's HTA conversion Mini-14 in near flawless condition. The store of parts, sparing and accessories that came with it made the purchase very compelling. It has a .22LR conversion kit with it as well and while I shudder at cleaning a full auto after a few mags downrange, it was certainly a bonus. After meeting him in person, seeing the gun and the care in which it was kept, the choice was simple.

very cool, so it's a converted mini 14 and not a legit AC556?

i wouldn't kick an AC556 with the folding stock out of bed. not entirely sure why, but there's just something about those.

very cool, so it's a converted mini 14 and not a legit AC556?

i wouldn't kick an AC556 with the folding stock out of bed. not entirely sure why, but there's just something about those.

Yup, that's right - It's a converted Mini 14. Came in stainless with a few stocks including a folder. Versus the AC556, there's no 3-round burst option but you're right. Something about this platform I like.

Dude for the lolz post your first video dressed like mr t

Yeah but I had to sell all my gold chains to afford the gun! [smile]

pretty nifty, stamp collecting is a fun and expensive hobby!

post some pics once you're able to take it home! [grin] [mg]

Right on. Maybe around Christmas but I think I'm being optimistic.

Back
Top Bottom