Machine Gunz

The wait is over. MAC10 stamp received today - a little over 4 months for this form4. Now to go pick up my "new" MG and wait for that lying groundhog to make good on an early spring. Pics forthcoming.

Thats great. so it came with TWO? Lage uppers?

I must be missing something.

I have a M11/9 MG with a Lage upper and I thought the Mac 10 only came in .45. Live and learn.

I don't know if you reload, but I hope you have been stocking up on FMJ ammo. My M11 will only run on ball ammo. If there is any kind of flat point on the bullet, it won't feed.

Don

I have a M11/9 MG with a Lage upper and I thought the Mac 10 only came in .45. Live and learn.

I don't know if you reload, but I hope you have been stocking up on FMJ ammo. My M11 will only run on ball ammo. If there is any kind of flat point on the bullet, it won't feed.

Don

Hey Don - Yes, it came with two large uppers, a small fast fire 9mm upper and UZI lower conversion. I do reload and have been stocking up on ball ammo. I'll be trying her out at Taunton R&P when we get a nice day out that I'm off of work. Can't wait.

Don

With the Mac 10 you can get a grip insert that works with 9mm mag and a different upper.
c0f5f5cfe2db25e3cd04572d4e9ffb93.jpg

Don
All my subguns are in .45 ACP. Because I'm cheap, I reload with 230 gr rn cast bullets. Has worked for many years. Won't run them thru a can, though. Your results may vary. Jack.

Yup, legally speaking 3 (or 2, or 4) round burst is exactly the same. If it fires more than one shot per trigger pull, it's a machine gun.

So, using this logic, a double barrel derringer, able to fire both barrels at once constitutes a machine gun? Serious question.

Last edited:
So, using this logic, a double barrel derringer, able to fire both barrels at once constitutes a machine gun? Serious question.

By the cold hard letter of the law...yes...if both barrels are fired with a single trigger pull. All the double-barreled guns I've seen that fire both barrels do so with two separate triggers. For example, the Gilboa Snake was originally designed to fire both barrels with a single trigger pull, but since that would be a machine gun they had to make a different "civilian legal" design with two separate triggers.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/foghorn/gilboa-snake-works/

Hey Don - Yes, it came with two large uppers, a small fast fire 9mm upper and UZI lower conversion. I do reload and have been stocking up on ball ammo. I'll be trying her out at Taunton R&P when we get a nice day out that I'm off of work. Can't wait.

If you are a looking for a source for mail order FMJ bullets IM me and I'll give you my email.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

1 trigger = machine gun
2 triggers = no problem.

Based on my experience, that is incorrect. Not pleasant, but will most certainly discharge both barrels if selector switch is set to the middle.

You guys can debate all you want about specific firearms. The NFA defines a MG as "

any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger."

- - - Updated - - -

Based on my experience, that is incorrect. Not pleasant, but will most certainly discharge both barrels if selector switch is set to the middle.

If you are right, then that derringer is a MG, per the NFA.

The wait is over. MAC10 stamp received today - a little over 4 months for this form4. Now to go pick up my "new" MG and wait for that lying groundhog to make good on an early spring. Pics forthcoming.
Awesome!!! Really happy for you!

Maybe you guys can help me out. I'm having a TOUGH time deciding what the first MG is going to be - purchasing officially starts next month. WOOT.

First: I'm not a fan of all black guns. There I said it. ;) Frankly I'm not really sold on all metal guns either (the Grease Gun being my only exception - I love that thing). Normally I am a traditionalist in that wooden grips and stocks are just my thing. But firearms with historical significance get me thinking too.
Second: upper limit of spending is ~$12K, so I know that rules out some higher end items and I'm OK with that.

The list that I'm currently mulling over is as follows: Reising, AC556F, Beretta 38, pending prices MP40, and to a lesser degree MACs with a wooden stock.

Any thoughts...

The list that I'm currently mulling over is as follows: Reising, AC556F, Beretta 38, pending prices MP40, and to a lesser degree MACs with a wooden stock.

Any thoughts...

reisings are okay for just turning money into noise but the USMC guys literally threw them away in the pacific.

i wouldn't kick an AC556 out of bed but people tell me i'm crazy.

beretta 38 is basically a tube gun. hard to justify the price for a tube with a few parts in it.

MP40... yusssssssssssssssssssss. impractical of course but it's a load of fun. beware of mag availability, consider a MP38, too.

when i actually had money i considered a mac, there's a GREAT aftermarket for them but ultimately they are impractical unless you want to put the time in to work on mag changes, etc.

what would i recommend? i'd recommend a FNC or a colt SP1. FNCs regularly go for under your price limit, and if you see one pop up quick enough you can snag a SP1 for around your budget.

YMMV and opinions are like *******s but there's mine. [cheers]

Atilla, my Reisings saw your post and their feelings are hurt. My two have been running well for many years. They are closed bolt and good for plinking in semi. Parts are not a problem and all I've had to replace so far is one firing pin and one hammer spring. Kept clean and lightly oiled they just keep rattling away. Lots of folks don't go for them 'cause they look "rifle". I had mine polished and blued and refinished the stocks. Nice looking for ugly guns. The mags are a problem if you can't live with 20 rounds. Jack.

Atilla, my Reisings saw your post and their feelings are hurt. My two have been running well for many years. They are closed bolt and good for plinking in semi. Parts are not a problem and all I've had to replace so far is one firing pin and one hammer spring. Kept clean and lightly oiled they just keep rattling away. Lots of folks don't go for them 'cause they look "rifle". I had mine polished and blued and refinished the stocks. Nice looking for ugly guns. The mags are a problem if you can't live with 20 rounds. Jack.

yeah but you're a good gun daddy, i'd be surprised if anything of yours didn't run well!

It gets worse. M14s NIB were going for $600, Colt M16s used for $500, Reisings used for $300, MACs NIB for $500 and so on. Jack.

oh my god, haha. i was talking to jim from MFL and he told me about how he got his paws on a whole pile of MACs for $300/ea back in the day.

look at a legit M16 going for upwards of $20k today, or if you could get a case of MP5s... mid-20k to $30k+ all day these days.

Awesome!!! Really happy for you!

Maybe you guys can help me out. I'm having a TOUGH time deciding what the first MG is going to be - purchasing officially starts next month. WOOT.

First: I'm not a fan of all black guns. There I said it. ;) Frankly I'm not really sold on all metal guns either (the Grease Gun being my only exception - I love that thing). Normally I am a traditionalist in that wooden grips and stocks are just my thing. But firearms with historical significance get me thinking too.
Second: upper limit of spending is ~$12K, so I know that rules out some higher end items and I'm OK with that.

Any thoughts...

Thanks DD! Picking it up on Saturday morning to bring her home. As they already have been, the NES NFA brain trust (Jack, Atilla, et. al.) will help you think of new and exciting ways to spend your money. Just reading the last couple posts have given me some new ideas. (Thanks guys) I don't have an AC556 but the stainless mini-14 MG I have runs extremely well in both .223 and with the .22 conversion kit. Can't imagine the fit, finish and function is much different on the AC556. Like Atilla says, MP40 is something else. I guess for my part, I'm not done being impractical and somewhat impulsive with my choices. I mean, c'mon... A-team gun and now a MAC10. Not sure where I'm going with this collection but what I do know is there is still room in my safe. Just need to refill the wallet.

Best wishes with your selection and let me know if I can help.

John

I use original 20 round and Ken Christy 30 round mags in my Reising. I don't know what's available. I use them because several came with the gun.

Back
Top Bottom