Man arrested at BU trying to carry guns into graduation ceremony

Boston Globe headline - was he allegedly caught or allegedly sneaky?
Allegedly spotted trying to turn back from checkpoint, prior to the point at which he voluntarily submitted to a search. The MA courts have already ruled you cannot withdraw consent once the voluntary search starts, but have not yet ruled that you cannot leave the line for such a search once you are in it.

I would be willing to bet the chances a MA court would find that leaving a search line is probably cause for an involuntary search is rather high.

"Trying to turn back from a check point and arrested" bears striking similarity to a certain case with the Mexican border

This is all pure BS. If he was legally carrying and saw the sign before the checkpoint and turned around he was clearly going to follow the rules. I for one would never carry on school property and this should get tossed out. It's sad they would f**k this guy over after he clearly was going to leave or lock it up.

Fired from my HTC One with high capacity storage

"I would be willing to bet the chances a MA court would find that leaving a search line is probably cause for an involuntary search is rather high."

Thanks for the insight - I hope the court would require that there be ample warning that a search is imminent, otherwise the lesson is that just joining a queue line is grounds for stop and frisk.

Yes way. The courts have addressed it.

I know that BU maintains a lot of property in the Kenmore Square area. As part of the Payment In Lieu Of Taxes (PILOT) program, they paid for the new sidewalks and crosswalks around the Kenmore T. When there was women's soccer at Nickerson, I believe they closed of Agganis Way at Commonwealth. It might be a stretch to consider public ways maintained by a private university to be university property, but I wouldn't want to bet my LTC on it. I wouldn't worry if I were walking along Comm Ave, but if turned down one of those streets where all of the buildings are owned by BU, I'd be a bit more concerned.

I was working there today and saw this transpire after he tried to leave and a couple of BUPD caught up with him on Comm Ave in front of the BU FitRec facility. Public street/ BU property. He told the BUPD he was carrying and ended up cuffed (in front) while they checked out his creds. Seemed fairly cooperative. Within 2 minutes about a dozen asst. BUPD and BPD showed up and he was offered a seat cuffed in back but all was fairly calm. All I can say is "dumb ass". You decide to practice carrying on a restricted LTC, on a school property, while the governor is speaking? No honorary degree for this one.

Carrying with a restricted license. [rolleyes] If that is accurate, that's a major problem there. Yeah, I know some will argue that a license to carry is a license to carry...period, here we go again.

It doesn't matter if the guy is acquitted or not, he will never be deemed to be a suitable person for licensing purposes.

I get where some of you are coming from but in Massachusetts Bizzaroland this is an example of PSGWSP.

It doesn't matter if the guy is acquitted or not, he will never be deemed to be a suitable person for licensing purposes.

At this point, damage control would seem to be trying for a deal that avoids federal PP status.

This is a classic example of how possible test cases are rarely "clean". Even if we assume he was not on campus property with the gun (I have no information if this was the case), there is the additional baggage of carrying in violation of a restriction, as well as the baggage of possibly volunteering that he was armed or consenting to a search.

A "clean" case would be an individual with an unrestricted LTC-A, who turned around before setting foot on campus property, and did not answer any questions or consent to a search when confronted.

If he was asked "why did you turn back", an answer like "I forgot some medicine in the car" might have ended it. (Curiously, I always have medicine in my car as there is some stuff I am supposed to take with all food).

An interesting form of civil protest would be hundreds of NESers getting into graduation security lines (unarmed, of course) turning back, and refusing to answer questions or consent to a search if questioned.

In any case, it appears that he was either a dumkoff or the instructor for his MA class was negligent when covering the law.

Last edited:
Ahhhh.....restricted LTC, school property.....not a good combo. Didn't know his LTC was restricted. That mostly explains why he was arrested.

I was working there today and saw this transpire after he tried to leave and a couple of BUPD caught up with him on Comm Ave in front of the BU FitRec facility. Public street/ BU property.

So it looked like he was carrying ON BU property? Just trying to clarify as you also say it was a PUBLIC street. I'm not familiar with that area at all.

Ahhhh.....restricted LTC, school property.....not a good combo. Didn't know his LTC was restricted. That mostly explains why he was arrested.

Carry on restricted is a lesser offense (civil fine, no possible time in stir) than carry on school grounds.

My guess is that he was arrested because the police felt like arresting, and the disturbing the peace charge could have been fabricated from whole cloth to justify the arrest. Stranger things have happened.

This would have normally got a quiet deal, quite possibly a CWOF - but he is screwed because of the publicity.

It was on the Comm Ave. sidewalk in front of the BU FitRec building. I don't know if that is legally BU or Boston property. Where he was originally on Agannis Way is almost definitely BU.

So it looked like he was carrying ON BU property? Just trying to clarify as you also say it was a PUBLIC street. I'm not familiar with that area at all.

It's a public street which runs through BU property. However, we don't know if he stepped onto BU property before turning around.

I graduated from BU back in '93, and now that I know what I know, the area would be a jurisdictional nightmare because BU doesn't really have a campus, just lots of buildings that they own. The actual "campus" really is just the property near the CGS/CAS and Student Union . I wouldn't be walking around West Campus unless I had a map of the property lines, and I definitely wouldn't have attempted to carry to a graduation.

I tell you though, it makes me think more and more that I would love to try and get deputized once I move to NH. Maybe you NH guys should look into it.

But for Andrea, wouldn't a "I'm sorry but I have to find a bathroom I have diarrhea." sufficed? One of my cousins in NYC got pulled over for speeding and he told the cop he was sorry but had to find a bathroom because he had a bladder infection, and it worked.

Marshfield is listed as a "Green" town--how did he have an LTC with a "Target and Hunting" restriction? I guess people actually apply for restricted licenses?

Carrying with a restricted license. [rolleyes] If that is accurate, that's a major problem there. Yeah, I know some will argue that a license to carry is a license to carry...period, here we go again.

I get where some of you are coming from but in Massachusetts Bizzaroland this is an example of PSGWSP.

This^^^ unfortunately. I'll refrain from the Mass-bashing since it was pointed out a few days ago in a thread that NH is no better[rolleyes]. It appears, on the surface, that this may be a case that could set some precedent if a good lawyer is involved (e.g. we find out this dude's brother once called somebody a towel head, thereby making him a domestic terrorist)

Sounds like he dug his own hole by telling BUPD that he was carrying when they caught up to him in the street.

Marshfield is listed as a "Green" town--how did he have an LTC with a "Target and Hunting" restriction? I guess people actually apply for restricted licenses?

Good question. Marshfield only has one active restricted LTC/A. My guess, and it's just speculation, is that Mr. Massa had a restricted LTC issued in another town and moved to Marshfield.

Wfey and I were both employed at different times along Comm Ave and I have to say that the BU police are the biggest asshats in uniform of any police with whom I have ever had the pleasure to deal.

I think they seem to have a chip on their shoulders similar to Napoleon Complex with regard to their status as "real police".

This is all pure BS. If he was legally carrying and saw the sign before the checkpoint and turned around he was clearly going to follow the rules. I for one would never carry on school property and this should get tossed out. It's sad they would f**k this guy over after he clearly was going to leave or lock it up.

He had a hunting-target restriction, don't think the "on the way back from the range" excuse is going to work.

Back
Top Bottom