Marlborough Gun show this month

I think it has a lot to do with wives watching what their husbands are spending and girlfriends going along thinking it'll be fun until they spend an hour and a half getting ogled and crop dusted.

If their husbands are exposing them to a gun show for an hour and a half they need to tell their hubs how to shop better. Back when I was actively going to them unless I stopped to talk to friends, if I didnt see anyone I knew I was in and out of the things in a half an hour. [laugh] I think its an acquired skill.

-Mike

Imagine if all those people in line show up for a 2A protest . Guess I am dreaming.

Yes, you are dreaming... although I will say since I started hitting these shows in 2004 there are a LOT more people wearing RKBA shirts/hats/etc now then there were back then. Night and day difference.

-Mike

That was my first show and I'm not impressed. 70% of the stuff was tshirts, holsters, knives, etc, and only 30% were actually guns. A lot of cool collector stuff but everything was crazy overpriced. Standard 10/22 carbine for $300+, 91/30 Mosins for $200+, Ruger LCR for $650!!!! (and no, the one I saw at that price did not have laser grips even). Madness...

But if your wife had her way we would have left with 2 rifles, parts to build an AR, some random Glock parts (to make my 17 pretty) and maybe a 1911 and a shotgun... Oh wait, that was all just for me, ha!

p.s. All this jerky talk makes me wish I took some of that home too.

not sure this this makes me happy or sad that my wife doesn't have any interest in shooting...I'll go with happy for my bank account and sad overall [wink].

I was there in the morning preaching the good word of the awesomeness of USPSA and talking to some fine folk. I was tempted by the Anschutz Match 54 that I saw even though it looked like it had been ridden hard and put away wet so to speak but I showed some willpower and left it there. I did pick up a couple 1lb bottles of VV N320 to get me through the upcoming season...my ass still hurts from the markup but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes [sad2]

I brought along one of my daughters and son-in-law. Their first immersion into the gun show sub culture. My son-in-law picked up a M&P at a fair price from a dealer. Same gun at other dealers there was $30-$50 higher.

Tough show to indoctrinate. Wow. Every gun owner I. The state. And King Tut to boot!

Was she selling the mini safe boxes/vaults?

There wasn't anything mini there. I actually felt bad for her a bit.

I was going to say I don't think there were that many people ther LAST January, but I skipped it after the rush. I was in a selling, not buying , mode.

This was nearly as bad as that Middleton/Peabody/whatever show about 6-8 years ago. We left at 11:45 and there was still 75-100 people killing to get in. I waited a minute in line to get OUT! I was wondering when the security staff was going to start slowing folk down due to fire code.

Lots of packs of young men. More than 3 guys together and they ruin the flow. Good to see them there. Bad to see the effect.

Still a good time and an amazing lunch as usual.

Out of rampant curiousity.... do you guys know if there is a knife sharpener guy there of any consequence? I didn't really get to walk the show much today, it was too busy. I'd love to bring someone my Emerson CQC 8 to get it sharpened.... I'm not skilled enough to really do it justice.

-Mike

Out of rampant curiousity.... do you guys know if there is a knife sharpener guy there of any consequence? I didn't really get to walk the show much today, it was too busy. I'd love to bring someone my Emerson CQC 8 to get it sharpened.... I'm not skilled enough to really do it justice.

-Mike
Didn't see one. The engraver was there though. Wow!

Was she selling the mini safe boxes/vaults?
LOL.
That was a little (well a lot) obvious...
I don't think she took into account that some guys are with their wives or girlfriends or kids (who will blackmail) and are not allowed to even stop and ogle.

- - - Updated - - -

Show was was cool I bought glock 23 gen 4 with 3 mags bnib for 645and I got 1000 rounds of ammo pretty happy with my day
How the bleep did I miss this.....
Congratulations, great deal.

I just looked at the cop, smiled, shook my head, and walked by: they have no legal nor logical justification for taking a full mag from me, especially considering the circumstances and the location. In my mind you are just silly volunteering your loaded weapon like that (and never mind the three others in my cargo pants).

But again, that's my $0.02 and YMMV.
Loaded gun and spare mag? What loaded gun and spare mag??

-Mike

Mike,

I bought one of these a few years ago based upon FreeWillie's recommendation. I've tried probably a dozen different sharpeners over the years and this one wins hands down.

http://www.kmesharp.com/

Let me know if you want to check it out.

Best,

rich

Free plastic msh broke lol.

Drgrant I took your advice and didn't buy used parts .it would of cost more.
I just looked up the Ed brown stainless rebuild kit. I got it for half price and didn't pay for gas or entry fee . So I scored for once. I still can't believe the guy asked me how much it was.

Safe chic was cute for a cougar.

Cop asked me if I was carrying and I said no half way through and kept walking

Free plastic msh broke lol.

Drgrant I took your advice and didn't buy used parts .it would of cost more.
I just looked up the Ed brown stainless rebuild kit. I got it for half price and didn't pay for gas or entry fee . So I scored for once. I still can't believe the guy asked me how much it was.

Safe chic was cute for a cougar.

Cop asked me if I was carrying and I said no half way through and kept walking

Sorry I missed you!

All those "cops" were private security, didn't see any local LE all day, didn't see any of the tax thugs either, where they there? I walked out to the car after we set up, around 7:45 and there was 30 plus in line already! That's dedication, was damn cold this am. I also noticed a lot more women than usual at this show, thank you ladies, some very good looking women there today.
I think some dealers did better than others, person I was set up with sold a bunch of small stuff and only 2 guns all day, I brought some Garand stuff and only sold 2 items, so not a stellar day for either of us. The food court was a little pricey but they had decent sandwiches and i brought a pile of brownies for dessert which we shared with Stoney Acres, couldn't get Fred to try any though, a slap to my culinary skills lol.
Not a great day financially but I can think of worse ways to spend a Saturday,,,

Yes, you are dreaming... although I will say since I started hitting these shows in 2004 there are a LOT more people wearing RKBA shirts/hats/etc now then there were back then. Night and day difference.

-Mike

MsHappy has been known to wear Gadsen-themed tee shirts, and others with gun club and Trap events to bridge games....

[laugh]

But if your wife had her way we would have left with 2 rifles, parts to build an AR, some random Glock parts (to make my 17 pretty) and maybe a 1911 and a shotgun... Oh wait, that was all just for me, ha!
If it wasn't for the Glock parts, I'd wonder if you were related to my fiancee... but she's a 1911 kind kind of girl.

All this jerky talk makes me wish I took some of that home too.
Makes her own jerky, too. [smile]

That was my first show and I'm not impressed. 70% of the stuff was tshirts, holsters, knives, etc, and only 30% were actually guns. A lot of cool collector stuff but everything was crazy overpriced. Standard 10/22 carbine for $300+, 91/30 Mosins for $200+, Ruger LCR for $650!!!! (and no, the one I saw at that price did not have laser grips even). Madness...
That must have been a 357. Even too much for that. You can get them for 400+ at Collectors in Stoneham

Got a ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ t-shirt, an SKS sling, and a bunch of 2013 production Silver Bear 7.62x54r for $10 a box, which I was happy with. I enjoy shooting it more than the corrosive stuff knowing I don't have to clean it right when I get home. It was very crowded inside from 10:00-13:00. And yes, I can also confirm there was plenty of crop dusting.

Ammo prices were still inflated. Some small tables were still living in January 2013 (i.e. 20rds of Silver Bear .223 for $20!!!) and others had started to come back to earth. The 420rd lake city M855 cans that four seasons had for $200 were ranging from $215-335 at the show. Walmart is far and away a better bargain for ammo, when you can find it.

Undercover Arms out of Hudson was raffling off a Barrett .50 cal for $20 a ticket. He only sells enough tickets to cover the cost of the gun, so the drawing may even be held during the Sunday show. Some of his prices weren't too bad either.

Another great table is the back row, against the wall next to the bathrooms, straight back from the entrance. It's a shop from W.Springfield called Guns and Gun parts. He came to sell, his prices were pretty good and not usual inflated show prices. Good guy too. Among other things he had a KSG for $975, where others across the room were going for $1160-$1200+. I doubt it's still there though.

A few random WASR10/63s ranging from $675-800.

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone seen the SRT kit for a sig p229. Wondering if anyone was at the show looking for one or seen one. I was trying to decide if I should make another trip.thanks for any help.

damn, i didn't see the barrett auction!

I'm not sure when he set that up. The first pass through that area, I did not see it. Later, around 2, it was clear as day. But my eyes were taking a beating, and I was wearing down at that point.

New shooter, first gun show. Have a Mossin Nagant 91/30 on its way and was looking at Garands, Mausers, and Lever Actions - initially have gotten into this for the historical rifles - so very little knowledge in terms of modern day kit.
The price of ammo felt to be the most manipulated. Price swings between dealers is always going to be there - also saw more than a few variations in overall used quality ranging from brand new to one step above dumpster.

What I simply do not understand is why markup at a show? Why not drop prices a bit to gain a following, gain customers, advertise special show prices. Most, if not all of the businesses there had more people walking by than they've had internet traffic in the last month alone - a captive audience with money in hand. IMO, not the best business practice.

Back
Top Bottom