Marlborough Gun show this month

I got a set of the ear plugs from mike for Christmas. Definately worth it. I used to use plugs and muffs now I only use the molded plugs. I have the ones with the noise filters in them so I can use them at work too. They work better than plugs and muffs I IMO.

I got a set of the ear plugs from mike for Christmas. Definately worth it. I used to use plugs and muffs now I only use the molded plugs. I have the ones with the noise filters in them so I can use them at work too. They work better than plugs and muffs I IMO.

I can't wait to try mine out - as I sat there in the hall while they were molding in my ears, the noise reduction was phenomenal - kind of creepy, since I knew how noisy it was. Even using both plugs and muffs at the range, it's like I'm using nothing, and most days I come home with a headache.

I can't wait to try mine out - as I sat there in the hall while they were molding in my ears, the noise reduction was phenomenal - kind of creepy, since I knew how noisy it was. Even using both plugs and muffs at the range, it's like I'm using nothing, and most days I come home with a headache.

I just hate shooting a long gun with muffs and the disposable plugs come unseated for me.

Depending on the rifle and your cheek weld they get in the way I need to get some molded plugs. Considering I had to have surgery when I was 6-7 so I could hear you'd think I'd be more proactive

The show was ok. Most of the firearms were wayyyy overpriced. The only deals I found were on parts i've already purchased. So that kinda made me [angry]. I was looking for a Ruger LC9 or LCP but there were none to be found in the building.

I picked up a spam can of 7.62x54r for the Mosin. I overpaid a bit but it was still a hell of lot cheaper than buying 22 boxes @ $12/box. [smile]

Long answer: We bought the custom molded earplugs today at HSA. I have always used plugs under muffs indoors and plugs outdoors. It always take a few tries to get the plugs right and the electronic muffs don't allow proper cheek weld on the rifle. Ideally I would get a pair of electronic custom plugs but those run $2k +/-. These are a great compromise and we are happy with our purchase. Short of getting run over or lost, these should last forever. $60 isn't much to pay for what you get.

Short answer: Yes.

My son and I went today. I thought it was a pretty good crowd. Met the guys from On-Target Firearms running the 91/30 group buy and they were really nice guys. I talked with 1776 Gunsmithing about pinning my AR and some Mosin work and was very impressed. They had a Mosin for sale for $125. Still needed cleaning but a good price none the less. I will be sending them some work.

I purhcase 147grain 308 for my M1 reloads at $.23/each. Thats cheaper than what I see online with shipping. Definitely saw way more ammo available. Prices still high but at least its there, except for .22lr. Unless you count the 5000rnds of 22 for $600 a deal.

Agreed. The best deal I was able to find (and bought) was $14.5 for a box of reload 9 mm (the NH guy, his table was next to GOAL table). Not a bad deal for range ammo, but other than that all 9mm prices I saw were equal or higher than FS' or NFS'.

Len, you've seen the size of the earrings I wear! I always remove them.

I figured as much but even if you wore small earrings it is best to remove them to shoot if wearing muffs or shooting long guns.

LOL! Your hair looks just great to me, Len! Plus, you clearly get a shower each day...

I'd prefer no gloves for shooting, but after a few particularly painful sessions at the range lately, with outside temperatures in the single digits and teens, the range temperature has been frigid, and truly heinous to play in. Friday night I thought I was going to end up with frostbite. I definitely need something to provide a little protection. I've been looking at gloves for LE from Hatch Products, and these seem to have good reviews. Might try them out.

Thanks! [smile] It took a while for my Wife to like my "hair", everyone else liked it from the get-go. Yup I shower every morning, even if going to a gun show.

Hatch allegedly makes some great gloves for shooting. I've yet to find them and trust anything that I've tried on so far. I'm still kicking myself since I didn't spend any time at their booth at the IACP Expo I attended in 2006. Due to time I just blew by it . . . should have spent some time checking them all out, plus until they got "caught" by the show promoter, they were selling off everything at 50%!

I agree. I've only shot a couple of times with long guns, but the muffs were particularly annoying then.

Like you every long gun stock interferes with my muffs and exposes enough of my ear to hear a lot more noise than I should. I also have custom plugs that were done by a hearing aid doctor (before Mike ever did the shows) and they work great. In super noisy environments I wear both plugs and muffs.

Thanks! [smile] It took a while for my Wife to like my "hair", everyone else liked it from the get-go. Yup I shower every morning, even if going to a gun show.

Hatch allegedly makes some great gloves for shooting. I've yet to find them and trust anything that I've tried on so far. I'm still kicking myself since I didn't spend any time at their booth at the IACP Expo I attended in 2006. Due to time I just blew by it . . . should have spent some time checking them all out, plus until they got "caught" by the show promoter, they were selling off everything at 50%!

Yes, less/no hair is definitely better on men....

Just ordered some gloves from Hatch. We'll see how they fare when they arrive. At worst I will use them for driving!

http://www.hatch-corp.com/ns430

I think it has a lot to do with wives watching what their husbands are spending and girlfriends going along thinking it'll be fun until they spend an hour and a half getting ogled and crop dusted.

A chick wearing yoga pants walked past two old rednecks who proceeded to make creepy grunting noises and then high fived each other. They must have been from the woods of Athol and not seen a woman who had all her teeth before. I dunno.

Agreed. The best deal I was able to find (and bought) was $14.5 for a box of reload 9 mm (the NH guy, his table was next to GOAL table). Not a bad deal for range ammo, but other than that all 9mm prices I saw were equal or higher than FS' or NFS'.

NFS?

The doctor, Drgrant, usually describes the place as having that fart gas smell. LOL

Mike Maal's ear plugs work very well. There still might be times when you'll want to double-up and wear the muffs too though.

Mike made my custom plugs last year. They work great. I double up when I'm at the range. Put in the customs and the muffs over.

Mike made my custom plugs last year. They work great. I double up when I'm at the range. Put in the customs and the muffs over.

I've had them for years. They work great especially for CAS where it's hard to get muffs over your Cowboy Hat. LOL Add muffs over them for indoors.

My son is a firefighter at Otis and he uses them on the flight line.

I was asked to show my ID to buy snap caps for my .22LR. When they saw the puzzled look on my face 3 of them said they were told they needed to check ID when selling even fake bullets. I forgot the name of the table but they were the second to last row on the left, first table.

Other than that I enjoyed some nice sausage and jerky.

I was at that table when someone else was buying snap caps. When they asked for ID the guy kind of stood there. I almost choked, and said "seriously" the lady asking for the ID looked kind of sheepish and said she was told she had to. All I could say was "Holy Shit". So if that was you: What's up gun show buddy? [wave]

I wish I could get the half day of my life back.... What was up with the door fee too!!! I remember it being like a couple bucks lat year...

Marlboro/Springfield/Wilmington have been over $10 for like 3 years now. Not sure what rock you were napping under. [laugh] The worst rape job is Springfield, because of the $5 parking. The NH shows I think might still be under $10, and only Manch charges for parking, if you use the garage, although the skinflints find plenty of street parking in the area for free/dirt.

-Mike

when there is THAT much free parking on the streets of downtown Manchester why would anyone use the parking garage and pay?? Plus it takes forever to get out of it at the end of the day.
As to the parking in Springfield they even hose the dealers, between the parking, admission and the crap food at gourmet prices I don't see why people still go there.

LOL! Your hair looks just great to me, Len! Plus, you clearly get a shower each day...

I'd prefer no gloves for shooting, but after a few particularly painful sessions at the range lately, with outside temperatures in the single digits and teens, the range temperature has been frigid, and truly heinous to play in. Friday night I thought I was going to end up with frostbite. I definitely need something to provide a little protection. I've been looking at gloves for LE from Hatch Products, and these seem to have good reviews. Might try them out.

Try Cabellas. Soft leather, gortex and 100 grams thinsulate. I shoot in them just fine, but even these gloves don't keep your hands warm forever in our recent temperarures. They do have them for women though.

Last edited:
+1: if it's not a dorky trucker hat like the NRA hats I would be in.

I don't like the mesh trucker style hats, but I prefer the normal height reinforced crown baseball hats. I don't like the low crown no reinforced hats, they get all wrinkly and you can't read whats on them half the time.

Try Cabellas. Soft leather, gortex and 100 grams thinsulate. I shoot in them just fine, but even these gloves don't keep your hands warm forever in our recent temperarures. They do have them for women though.

Thanks! I ordered some Hatch gloves earlier, but if they don't do the trick, I'll try these out. You're right, short of a Yeti suit, there's no staying cozy in our current temperatures! Just taking the edge off the frostbite will be better than nothing, for sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol! I just scared the heck out of my cat as I burst into laughter. Too funny!

Back
Top Bottom