Mass AK thread.

Are there really smith's that will put an AK together for 250 bucks? I kind of doubt that..... if they were that cheap then nobody would bother building them themselves.

Sellrain in Maine (not currently taking work) charges $375:

https://sellrainak.com/

OP would have to figure out who he wants to work with and go from there. A local guy's going to be cheaper (Mass, NH) but won't have the cache of a Jim Fuller (Fuller Phoenix, he moved) or the like gun.

Regardless, the gunsmithing bill isn't something to quibble over - a good guy is going to charge a deserved premium. OP can't haggle that down or scrimp on it too much. But he can on the parts.

That would be great assuming the OP doesn't care about using postban mags.

The old stuff is basically garbage.

An AR in 545 x 39 was interesting idea back when that stuff was dirt dirt cheap.....

If you're not willing to drop coin you're pretty much going to get f***** on this. Even outside of this s*** hole a cheap AK is like 800 bucks now for a WASR. A good wall hack is to find a Mak 90 out of state where you don't have to pay a rape price for it..... but even those are going up.
I should have been more specific. Im at the 2,000 range. I am not delusional in thinking in going to get an 800 ak.

I should have been more specific. Im at the 2,000 range. I am not delusional in thinking in going to get an 800 ak.

Ignoring the issues of getting a new AK into Mass, what are you going to do with it? There's tons of options currently under $2000 for 7.62x39 but they're not all equal and not every one of them is going to accomplish the same goals.

ZPAPs are great introductory "AKs" but aren't truly AKs. Some parts interchange, like the pistol grip and magazine, but a lot won't, like the furniture for example. I own a gen 1 ZPAP (not chrome-lined, 1mm receiver) and while I like it, it isn't a true "AK". Its an evolution of the AK, not an AK.

FB Radom just re-entered the US market with their 7.62 and .223 S M1 rifles and Mini-Beryl pistols. These are also esoteric guns, albeit of very high quality, based on the wz. 96 Beryl. I have a 7.62x39 one and I'm going to get a .223 one once more are available.

There's Arsenal - SAM7s are available right now from KVAR and Atlantic.

WASRs are available from Atlantic.

So, again, what are you doing with it? Because not every AK is the same and they won't all do the same things.

Ignoring the issues of getting a new AK into Mass, what are you going to do with it? There's tons of options currently under $2000 for 7.62x39 but they're not all equal and not every one of them is going to accomplish the same goals.

ZPAPs are great introductory "AKs" but aren't truly AKs. Some parts interchange, like the pistol grip and magazine, but a lot won't, like the furniture for example. I own a gen 1 ZPAP (not chrome-lined, 1mm receiver) and while I like it, it isn't a true "AK". Its an evolution of the AK, not an AK.

FB Radom just re-entered the US market with their 7.62 and .223 S M1 rifles and Mini-Beryl pistols. These are also esoteric guns, albeit of very high quality, based on the wz. 96 Beryl. I have a 7.62x39 one and I'm going to get a .223 one once more are available.

There's Arsenal - SAM7s are available right now from KVAR and Atlantic.

WASRs are available from Atlantic.

So, again, what are you doing with it? Because not every AK is the same and they won't all do the same things.
This is a range toy. Not looking to be Rambo at the moment but i do like quality. It doesn't have to be a true ak. Not looking for a collector. Believe me id love to get an arsenal. They are going from 1600-2000 online which is great. Getting it in remains my problem in that regard. I have made great relationships woth ffl's over the years but have not been successful in finding one to bring it in. Id even pay them an extra "fee" for their trouble. I wouldn't be opposed to a zpap either as long as it takes surplus mags. Not sure if all the models do. Definitely looking for something that uses the surplus mags.

This is a range toy. Not looking to be Rambo at the moment but i do like quality. It doesn't have to be a true ak. Not looking for a collector. Believe me id love to get an arsenal. They are going from 1600-2000 online which is great. Getting it in remains my problem in that regard. I have made great relationships woth ffl's over the years but have not been successful in finding one to bring it in. Id even pay them an extra "fee" for their trouble. I wouldn't be opposed to a zpap either as long as it takes surplus mags. Not sure if all the models do. Definitely looking for something that uses the surplus mags.

I recommend in this order:

*Slovak kit build
*WBP
*ZPAP - the ZPAP is part of the M70 family and takes surplus and modern AK mags
*WASR
*Arsenal SLR107R

Are there really smith's that will put an AK together for 250 bucks? I kind of doubt that..... if they were that cheap then nobody would bother building them themselves.
Right over the state border there are some who assemble (very well from my understanding) for 400-500 which is still below the price point issue.
The real issue is OP trying to buy one during the worst time periods to buy those guns when as said above even the out of state prices look like Massachusetts.
I saw a VT store charging $1000 for a WASR10. That was basically precovid MA.

True

There are parts kits out there.

Most don’t have barrels and those are in high demand too. Receivers have a little waitlist. Still better than dropping $1200+ on a f***ing WASR.

True

There are parts kits out there.

Most don’t have barrels and those are in high demand too. Receivers have a little waitlist. Still better than dropping $1200+ on a f***ing WASR.

Kits stopped coming in with barrels in 2004, 2005 per Bush II. That being said, US-made or imported barrels are fairly available for 7.62x39. FB Radom barrels come in through Arms of America. FN makes 7.62x39 barrels here.

5.45 = better off buying an old kit with a barrel or trying to scrounge a Green Mountain.

Since it looks like no one else has said it.

Buy a shovel and go full Boris on it.
Yes. It’s seriously not that hard. Especially with a $2k budget. If you don’t like the smell of Vermont cow shit, 80%s are still available for the next few weeks.

Kits stopped coming in with barrels in 2004, 2005 per Bush II. That being said, US-made or imported barrels are fairly available for 7.62x39. FB Radom barrels come in through Arms of America. FN makes 7.62x39 barrels here.

5.45 = better off buying an old kit with a barrel or trying to scrounge a Green Mountain.

Duh I know they aren’t imported. I should have said “with US made barrel.”

Sorry i just can't get myself to pay 1400 for a used WASR. As much as the mag wobble and canted sights intrigue me.
Then you are going to pay 2500 for something better
No canted sights on my WASR, actually one of my SGL-21’s had canted sights and bought a couple more but those are mint

So you already have Norincos, I was going to suggest a MAK90 with straight-cut receiver so you can slap cool arsenal furniture on it. Then I remembered after I crushed several brews last week post electric-Bruins win I made a classified ad selling arsenal furniture so now I look like a real jabroni.

In all seriousness that could also be a route to get an inexpensive AK, slap cool furniture on it (not mine something else anything really) to have it be a range toy, and be under $2000. For the record I’m happy with my Dragunov furniture, I originally wanted dragunov furniture for my SKS to go all COD MW at the range but I ended up keeping it in the wood stock (it’s also Chinese and once I learned how to scrunch down on the stock to shoulder the rifle, I decided “rifle is fine.”)

In short, the Norincos are fine rifles, they are available in MA, and they are more affordable than other exorbitantly priced AKs which, although appealing to collectors, may be a deterent to the average NES shooter. Building has its own set of logistical challenges. You may want to wait for things to settle down before building with greater ease.

So you already have Norincos, I was going to suggest a MAK90 with straight-cut receiver so you can slap cool arsenal furniture on it. Then I remembered after I crushed several brews last week post electric-Bruins win I made a classified ad selling arsenal furniture so now I look like a real jabroni.

In all seriousness that could also be a route to get an inexpensive AK, slap cool furniture on it (not mine something else anything really) to have it be a range toy, and be under $2000. For the record I’m happy with my Dragunov furniture, I originally wanted dragunov furniture for my SKS to go all COD MW at the range but I ended up keeping it in the wood stock (it’s also Chinese and once I learned how to scrunch down on the stock to shoulder the rifle, I decided “rifle is fine.”)

In short, the Norincos are fine rifles, they are available in MA, and they are more affordable than other exorbitantly priced AKs which, although appealing to collectors, may be a deterent to the average NES shooter. Building has its own set of logistical challenges. You may want to wait for things to settle down before building with greater ease.
Yea i like the norincos but i already have two mak 90 and a nhm 91. Was kind of looking for something different.

Then you are going to pay 2500 for something better
No canted sights on my WASR, actually one of my SGL-21’s had canted sights and bought a couple more but those are mint
Good to hear that your Wasr is solid. I owned two in the past. One was absolute trash the other was pretty good. I didn't mind it at $500. Just not something i believe is worth the asking price in mass right now for a used one. New they are going between 850-1000 online it seems. If i could get one in i would almost consider it.

Yea i like the norincos but i already have two mak 90 and a nhm 91. Was kind of looking for something different.

Good to hear that your Wasr is solid. I owned two in the past. One was absolute trash the other was pretty good. I didn't mind it at $500. Just not something i believe is worth the asking price in mass right now for a used one. New they are going between 850-1000 online it seems. If i could get one in i would almost consider it.

If you want something different and you've already owned WASRs, why not build a gun or have one built?

If you want something different and you've already owned WASRs, why not build a gun or have one built?
Honestly my track record of things going to plan is poor. For me to invest a bunch of money in parts for a build that i know little about to then send it off for months in hopes that it comes back great seems a bit risky for me. It is a lot of money for me to have hanging out there. Way out of my confort zone if i am to be completely honest.

Totally cool, the NHM 91 looks awesome, maybe a smidgen above the MAK90 in terms of quality and price, does yours come with the built-in bipod?

I would suggest you travel up to the next tier and buy a Maadi. Or build and approach your budget max.

Honestly my track record of things going to plan is poor. For me to invest a bunch of money in parts for a build that i know little about to then send it off for months in hopes that it comes back great seems a bit risky for me. It is a lot of money for me to have hanging out there. Way out of my confort zone if i am to be completely honest.

There's plenty of resources out there to learn about builds. AKs are a fairly known quantity. Not like you're trying to build a HK G36 or StG44 from parts.

You could always...

..start a thread.

Totally cool, the NHM 91 looks awesome, maybe a smidgen above the MAK90 in terms of quality and price, does yours come with the built-in bipod?

I would suggest you travel up to the next tier and buy a Maadi. Or build and approach your budget max.
nhm91.jpgShe is a great shooter. Some people hate on the Norinco's, i think they are great IMO. This is the original photo from when i bought it. I removed the rail on top. I wasn't a big fan of that.

Is it possible to put a side folder on a Mak 90? Maybe im over thinking this and would be as happy with a side folder mak 90. I looked online but i saw some pages talking about sending it to a smith to do work on the receiver. The tang hangs out far enough where there has to be a way to put a side folder with out much modification i would imagine. Any suggestions?

*edit* Just saw some youtube video's on side folding mak 90. Perhaps i will go this route instead.

Last edited:
View attachment 489391She is a great shooter. Some people hate on the Norinco's, i think they are great IMO. This is the original photo from when i bought it. I removed the rail on top. I wasn't a big fan of that.
Gorgeous wood furniture and I like the tasteful thumbhole stock. Sometimes the MAK90 thumbhole stocks can feel a little bit cumbersome, the nice big gap looks like it would be very comfortable. Again, I love the bipod. I agree with the rail, I know what kind of system it has because my desert eagle also has a similar rail system and its tedious to mount anything to it (not that I would in my case but even for your case those little bumps are a pain in the rear).

Gorgeous wood furniture and I like the tasteful thumbhole stock. Sometimes the MAK90 thumbhole stocks can feel a little bit cumbersome, the nice big gap looks like it would be very comfortable. Again, I love the bipod. I agree with the rail, I know what kind of system it has because my desert eagle also has a similar rail system and its tedious to mount anything to it (not that I would in my case but even for your case those little bumps are a pain in the rear).
Yea the mak 90 thumbhole stock is horrendous. The one on the nhm feels great. Would love a desert eagle but was cursed with short Portuguese sausages for fingers.

Yea the mak 90 thumbhole stock is horrendous. The one on the nhm feels great. Would love a desert eagle but was cursed with short Portuguese sausages for fingers.
Something about those MAK90 stocks makes me feel like I would get hand cramps really quickly from even a sparse range trip. Being deployed with one I would have carpal tunnel syndrome after a day if I didn’t get carpet bombed by the good guys first LOL.

Back to reality: Do not beat yourself up over the desert eagle and finger size stopping you. I feel like its mostly posture and locking your elbow and the “people with small hands” trope is just spread by meatheads who are trying to uphold some kind of stereotype about the firearm. Those guys are trying to keep the desert eagle circle small and I feel like people with small hands/fingers can learn.

Do you know if slant-cut/straight-cut matters for the folding stock conversion? Because I would buy one and have my gunsmith modify it for my own purposes and get a wooden handguard and pistol grip if that were the case.

This this this this this. 1,000 times, this.

Get a Vz58.
The VZ58 is challenging to find in MA. It is very popular, and was just featured in an article of the April 2021 edition of Firearms News, comparing the VZ58 versus the AKM. Really awesome article.

The VZ58 is challenging to find in MA. It is very popular, and was just featured in an article of the April 2021 edition of Firearms News, comparing the VZ58 versus the AKM. Really awesome article.

Granted.

But it's WELL worth waiting for. Seems like the OP is looking for something a li'l bit different, and the Vz58 definitely fits the bill.

Back
Top Bottom