MASS confusion

Thanks for being so helpful to everyone, I had been curious about what advantages would be to live in Nashua or somewhere near the line. I haven't taken legal residence yet, and my guns are stored away at home in WV. From what I understand, it would do me no good to expect to defend myself with a firearm here anyway, so my Kimber's and Glock's will remain in safe storage. Thanks fellas, this is a great posting site!

Thanks for being so helpful to everyone, I had been curious about what advantages would be to live in Nashua or somewhere near the line. I haven't taken legal residence yet, and my guns are stored away at home in WV. From what I understand, it would do me no good to expect to defend myself with a firearm here anyway, so my Kimber's and Glock's will remain in safe storage. Thanks fellas, this is a great posting site!

wvhunter,

DON'T DO IT!! (if you can help it...)

If you become a MA resident your WV permit will not be valid anymore. Not sure of the laws there, but you may be out of luck back home. If you get a MA non-resident liscense (see other threads here) it sounds like you'd get a ALP permit, whereas as a resident you would have ~50% chance.

Also, becasue my family renunion is in WV, I've checked into CCW permits there for non-residents, and there doesn't seem to be a mechanism for it (at least not on packing.org).

Matt

wvhunter,

If you become a MA resident your WV permit will not be valid anymore. Not sure of the laws there, but you may be out of luck back home. If you get a MA non-resident liscense (see other threads here) it sounds like you'd get a ALP permit, whereas as a resident you would have ~50% chance.

Also, becasue my family renunion is in WV, I've checked into CCW permits there for non-residents, and there doesn't seem to be a mechanism for it (at least not on packing.org).

Matt

wvhunter,

Matt

OK, so if I remained an out of state resident, would I need to return my guns home after the end of the hunting season...or does a current year non resident hunting license cover me for the entire year? I have read a little about the non-resident permit that's available, but it seems as though I would need to get ammunition elsewhere. I am appreciating the tips that have been given...keep 'em coming :eek: Also, what can I expect from a typical PD in obtaining a simple FID card (if I became a resident)? Are they normally just as difficult surrounding those as they are LTC's? Does MA acknowledge out of state gun safety/hunter safety courses as proof of adequate training for an FID?

OK, so if I remained an out of state resident, would I need to return my guns home after the end of the hunting season...or does a current year non resident hunting license cover me for the entire year? I have read a little about the non-resident permit that's available, but it seems as though I would need to get ammunition elsewhere. I am appreciating the tips that have been given...keep 'em coming :eek: Also, what can I expect from a typical PD in obtaining a simple FID card (if I became a resident)? Are they normally just as difficult surrounding those as they are LTC's? Does MA acknowledge out of state gun safety/hunter safety courses as proof of adequate training for an FID?

WV - FID cards are "Shall Issue", which means that as long as you pass the back ground check, you're good to go. Depending on where you live, you might be able to get a Class B (covers non-large capacity hand guns <10 rounds or less in the mag> but does not allow you to carry concealed, as well as large cap rifles and shot guns) or a Class A (covers large cap hand guns as well as everything else (except full auto) and, depending on whether or not there's a restriction on it, will allow you to carry concealed). You need to be careful, however with the FID. If you have a rifle or shotgun that is large cap, you cannot have it on the FID. Same thing with hand guns - if the hand gun can accept a large cap feeding device, then you MUST have a Class A.

A non-resident LTC is only good for 1 year and will cost you $100 a year to renew. A resident LTC is good for 6 years. Can't help you with hunting license info as this dawg don't hunt. :D

WV - FID cards are "Shall Issue", which means that as long as you pass the back ground check, you're good to go. Depending on where you live, you might be able to get a Class B (covers non-large capacity hand guns <10 rounds or less in the mag> but does not allow you to carry concealed, as well as large cap rifles and shot guns) or a Class A (covers large cap hand guns as well as everything else (except full auto) and, depending on whether or not there's a restriction on it, will allow you to carry concealed). You need to be careful, however with the FID. If you have a rifle or shotgun that is large cap, you cannot have it on the FID. Same thing with hand guns - if the hand gun can accept a large cap feeding device, then you MUST have a Class A.

A non-resident LTC is only good for 1 year and will cost you $100 a year to renew. A resident LTC is good for 6 years. Can't help you with hunting license info as this dawg don't hunt. :D

Hey thanks, Lynne! All of this is extremely helpful, especially the part concerning high-cap mags on rifles (which would rule out my 10/22 Ruger I suppose). I don't necessarily mind the thought of getting an FID, if for no other reason that to be able to look at my rifles/shotguns everyday. Anyway, thanks a ton for now! :D

Hey thanks, Lynne! All of this is extremely helpful, especially the part concerning high-cap mags on rifles (which would rule out my 10/22 Ruger I suppose). I don't necessarily mind the thought of getting an FID, if for no other reason that to be able to look at my rifles/shotguns everyday. Anyway, thanks a ton for now! :D

Am I right to deduce that Class B permits allow for concealed carry under certain conditions? That wouldn't be too bad either.

That would be an incorrect assumption. The following will explain the differences between the Class A LTC and the Class B LTC.

Bottom line is: Go for an All Lawful Purposes Class A LTC. Don't settle for less. Besides, the application process and cost is virtually the same.

http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/aandbdifferences.pdf

Am I right to deduce that Class B permits allow for concealed carry under certain conditions? That wouldn't be too bad either.

That would be an incorrect assumption. The following will explain the differences between the Class A LTC and the Class B LTC.

Bottom line is: Go for an All Lawful Purposes Class A LTC. Don't settle for less. Besides, the application process and cost is virtually the same.

Usually you will get a Class A "Hunting and Target" so you can buy/posess large cap handguns, but not carry. Try for a Class A "All Lawful Purposes". There is no difference in cost or training for any of these.

FID lets you have low cap rifles, no handguns, is cheaper, and requires hunter safety course instead of "Basic Pistol"

Matt

Usually you will get a Class A "Hunting and Target" so you can buy/posess large cap handguns, but not carry. Try for a Class A "All Lawful Purposes". There is no difference in cost or training for any of these.

FID lets you have low cap rifles, no handguns, is cheaper, and requires hunter safety course instead of "Basic Pistol"

Matt

Matt

wvhunter said:
Thanks...after I read the last few messages, I realized I had assumed the wrong things :?, so I edited my last post. Do PD's sometimes offer a Class B as a consolation prize, so to speak, if someone applies for a Class A?

Yes [cry] places like Brockton have been known to issue LTC-B when someone applies for LTC-A.

wvhunter said:
Thanks...after I read the last few messages, I realized I had assumed the wrong things :?, so I edited my last post. Do PD's sometimes offer a Class B as a consolation prize, so to speak, if someone applies for a Class A?

Yes [cry] places like Brockton have been known to issue LTC-B when someone applies for LTC-A.

wvhunter said:

matt said:

Matt

Matt, you have that wrong. FID is still $100, just like a LTC. ONLY FID that is cheaper is FID-D ($25) . . . good ONLY for chemical sprays and requires no training course.

matt said:

Matt

Matt, you have that wrong. FID is still $100, just like a LTC. ONLY FID that is cheaper is FID-D ($25) . . . good ONLY for chemical sprays and requires no training course.

matt said:

Matt

Back
Top Bottom