Massachusetts Bill HD.4420 "An act to modernize gun Laws"

I emailed my local PD here in a small town in western MA, no reply.......

It is a small shared department for two towns. Who knows how often they even check their emails.
I did too and likely the same dept. between two towns. I went the FB messenger route and saw that they read my message but they never replied.

Dunno if this has been posted here already but FPC reports in an email I received today
"The Massachusetts Speaker has held a closed-door meeting with one-half of the legislature, and intends to do the same with the other half ASAP to get HD 4420 to the floor without public hearings!"

Democracy is dead in MA

Zoinks!

Dunno if this has been posted here already but FPC reports in an email I received today
"The Massachusetts Speaker has held a closed-door meeting with one-half of the legislature, and intends to do the same with the other half ASAP to get HD 4420 to the floor without public hearings!"

Democracy is dead in MA

Zoinks!
Psssttttttttt......Democracy has been dead in MA for well over 40 years.

I'm talking to my state rep in about an hour. I am bringing some documentation with me, but assuming I'm only going to get a few minutes. She is just there for an hour. I have:
  1. a short (1 page or less) writeup about how the bill affects me personally
  2. A very brief summary of the worst parts of the bill I made with numbers identifying each section of the bill my comment/summary comes from
  3. GOAL's summary of the bill
  4. GOAL's analysis of existing MA laws and how they haven't worked, with the most pertinent sections highlighted. I am adding little page flags so they are easy to find.
  5. Plymouth COP's letter with highlighted sections
  6. MCOPA executive summary with highlighted sections
  7. Some certificates from firearms training I have done plus a copy of my PE (professional engineer) license. I mentioned I am a subject matter expert on additive and traditional manufacturing and want to show I know a lot about firearms as well, not sure if this will get me any street cred but she is an academic so maybe.
I already sent GOAL's summary and the redlined version from the forum when I let them know I was coming.

Anything else I should bring or mention?

ETA: I will try and get some intel on what transpired during the closed sessions today and yesterday.

Last edited:
I'm talking to my state rep in about an hour. I am bringing some documentation with me, but assuming I'm only going to get a few minutes. She is just there for an hour. I have:
  2. A very brief summary of the worst parts of the bill I made with numbers identifying each section of the bill my comment/summary comes from
  4. GOAL's analysis of existing MA laws and how they haven't worked, with the most pertinent sections highlighted. I am adding little page flags so they are easy to find.
  7. Some certificates from firearms training I have done plus a copy of my PE (professional engineer) license. I mentioned I am a subject matter expert on additive and traditional manufacturing and want to show I know a lot about firearms as well, not sure if this will get me any street cred but she is an academic so maybe.
I already sent GOAL's summary and the redlined version from the forum when I let them know I was coming.

I’d front load the MCOPA and Plymouth/other COPs letters, right behind how it would affect you personally. They care more what police say than what some gun lobbyist organization says. Regardless of how accurate or correct the gun lobbyist organization is.

ETA: I will try and get some intel on what transpired during the closed sessions today and yesterday.
If you're bringing the Plymouth CLEO's letter, might as well bring the Ware one, too.

Half of the House of Representatives' membership was in the middle of a closed-door briefing on a gun law reforms bill and a number of lawmakers appeared to stay inside the House complex during most of the alarm.

It's about the only thing that still will
xrd-exrd.gif

Honestly though, hope it doesn't come to that for everyone here.

Electrical fire at the State House. State House evacuated!
Basement electrical fire.

"Judiciary Committee Co-Chair Rep. Michael Day was in the middle of a hearing when the alarm started blaring.

“We heard the fire alarm and I told everyone to vacate,” he told the Herald outside the State House. “Walked out orderly. That was it.”"

Electrical fire at the State House. State House evacuated!
Basement electrical fire.

"Judiciary Committee Co-Chair Rep. Michael Day was in the middle of a hearing when the alarm started blaring.

“We heard the fire alarm and I told everyone to vacate,” he told the Herald outside the State House. “Walked out orderly. That was it.”"
Based Custodian

Janitor Scrubs GIF - Janitor Scrubs Stare - Discover & Share GIFs

Gun Bill Sponsor Open To Vote Without Public Hearing First�[Story Developing] The architect of a gun law reform bill at the center of tensions between the House and Senate said after a pair of private House meetings that he has "no idea" when the legislation might get to the House floor for a vote. After two days of closed-door meetings where all 160 members of the House had the chance to ask questions about the 141-page bill that seeks to reform red flag laws, licensing, and right-to-carry provisions, Rep. Michael Day, who wrote the omnibus gun reform bill, said it is "urgent to move quickly" because "we're losing people on a daily basis" to gun violence. "The longer we sit on this bill I think the less service we're doing to our constituents," said Day, who acknowledged that his bill is "dense" and "difficult to understand," leading to questions about legislative intentions. But the bill stands at an impasse amidst a procedural dispute between the chambers, and even if that hurdle is overcome there has been no indications top Democrats in the House and Senate are ready to quickly rally around a single gun bill. The House voted to send the Day bill to the Joint Committee on the Judiciary -- where Day serves as the chair. The Senate sent the bill to the Joint Committee on Public Safety, saying this is the avenue gun bills usually take. Unless one of the chambers budges, the bill will not anytime soon go through the typical public hearing process, where residents can give direct feedback to lawmakers. Asked by reporters Tuesday if he would be open to voting on a bill that has not had a public hearing, Day responded, "We've done that in the past." "We've all taken votes on those types of bills in the past. I vote on anything that's on the House floor," Day said. The House has an informal session scheduled for Wednesday -- a departure from their usual Monday and Thursday meetings -- which could signal that representatives are hoping to tee up legislation ahead of a future session. Day said "I haven't heard any indication" that the House is moving the gun bill on Wednesday. If the House wants to vote on the bill without coming to an agreement with the Senate over the committee assignment -- which Day called "a dispute between the chambers" -- representatives could use other legislative processes to circumnavigate the joint committee hearings. "I think there are a bunch of options that legislators use all the time to move legislation forward, and what those options are for this particular piece of legislation remains to be seen," Day said. - Sam Drysdale/SHNS

I sent this to the whole legislature.

“Good afternoon,

Did Representative Day recently Brief you on HD.4420 An Act Modernizing Firearm Laws with the document below?”

(Posted pic of document leaked)

This proposed bill has 140 pages. How can 140 pages be condensed into three pages? Moreover, multiple police departments across the state have spoken out against this document, including the Massachusetts Chief Of Police Association. I urge you to get information directly from the source, when it comes to legislation that effects the most law abiding members of the state. Rep Day has mislead you. I’ve attached a link to the actual text of the bill and a link to the statement from the Massachusetts Chief of Police Association, at the bottom of this email.

Thank you
(My contact info here)

https://www.goal.org/resources/MassChiefs.pdf

https://malegislature.gov/Bills/193/HD4420

Back
Top Bottom