Middleboro Gun Shop -Middleboro, MA

Wolf99

NES Member
Has anyone visited there? I know its on Route 28, what is the service/selection like?

The last time I was there was in early June. Not much of a selection in either pistols or rifles. I thought it looked like he may be closing soon but I was told different.
Every time that I've been there, I've always been asked what they can help me with and eager to show me something.
I've never made a purchase there.

If he doesn't have it, he'll get it for you. I've bought several pieces there, but he's a little high priced for most of my purchases.

Jim can be a little moody sometimes, so you don't always know what you're going to face when you go there. Once you get to be recognised as more than a one timer, the atmosphere warms up a bit.

Pilgrim said:
If he doesn't have it, he'll get it for you. I've bought several pieces there, but he's a little high priced for most of my purchases.

Jim can be a little moody sometimes, so you don't always know what you're going to face when you go there. Once you get to be recognised as more than a one timer, the atmosphere warms up a bit.

I experienced the moodiness first hand. He argued with my friend and I that we were breaking the law for having CZ52 pistols even though we bought them under C&R license, logged, and registered them. He claimed they were still illegal in Massachusetts, yet he was selling current production 25 round 10/22 magazines new in the package.[rolleyes]
That was the day I started questioning every bit of legal advice I got from gun store employees.

I started going to middleboro gun shop about25 years ago when they were on everet st near middleboro center.then it moved to a second location.the shop is now at its third.it has changed hands many times.personally im tired of jim and his moods,so i don't go there anymore.

went there last week and he seemed bothered by me asking about a price for a MP5 mag... what a jerk.

It is amazing how easily I will spend a few thousands dollars at shops that simply treat me nicely... a smile goes a long way

I've found a couple of interesting guns there, including my Series 70 Gold Cup. Though the price seemed high, he had that, and a lightly used Commander on consignment, and several other interesting handguns. He doesn't jump on you when you come in the door, but when I wanted service he was pretty good.

I go there and look, more than I buy, because of his high prices, but it's not a bad shop. As for his attitude, I'd be a basket case if I had to deal with retail sales to the public all day. When given a chance he seems ok.

Middleboro Gun Shop

I've been a customer for a number of years and have found Jim always knowledgable and helpful. I've made many purchases from this store and never have I had a bad experience. Jim's knowledge has been invaluable. If he doesn't have the item your looking for, he will get it. If the item is hard to find, he will try to track it down (GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE). There are few people who will commit to this type of service anymore.

Not a bad place

I've never bought a gun there but I have bought a couple Moon clip loaders, a mag and 8 or so lockable zippered pistol rugs that I couldn't get any where else. Customer service was good but prices above average.
If I needed it and they have it I'd buy it.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I went there last year to get some ammo for a day at the range, it wasn't very cheap, and my friend, who I lovingly refer to as "redneck Jason" because he has a loving southern style to himself, was given little more than a grunt when he tried to chat with the owner. Very small supply but like said before, very happy to order anything you want.

I was there once, bought a nice M1 Carbine, but it was pricey. No problem with that purchase, but the shop owner gave me a complete BS story about another carbine, a bring back by a Marine Gunny sergeant, etc, was his issued M2, they converted it back to semi so he could keep it, more BS, only problem was it was not even a U.S. Military carbine, but one of the after war manufacturers. Nice story, didn't wash. I did not bother to explain.

Just saw in the paper that Chuck Fay, former partner in the Middleboro Gun shop and who helped out there for years after and taught the safety class there, died this week, unexpectedly, while on vacation, at 59 years old.

He was a good guy.

Last edited:
Just saw in the paper that Check Fay, former partner in the Middleboro Gun shop and who helped out there for years after and taught the safety class there, died this week, unexpectedly, while on vacation, at 59 years old.

He was a good guy.

Agree, he was a very nice guy, sorry to hear of his passing. I liked Chuck, he was always cordial and helpful to me. As I remember, he was not well, even the last time I saw him a few years ago he was ailing. RIP Chuck

Just saw in the paper that Check Fay, former partner in the Middleboro Gun shop and who helped out there for years after and taught the safety class there, died this week, unexpectedly, while on vacation, at 59 years old.

He was a good guy.
That sux. Chuck was my math teacher a billion years ago (5th or 6th grade). I just spoke with him at my uncle funeral last December. He was one of the good guys.

Middleboro Gun Shop

Not my experience, but from a friend who went there:

Jim of Middleboro Gun Shop (Middleboro, MA) is a complete a**h***; don't give him your business. I meant to put a post like this somewhere about 5 years ago but it just occurred to me that I should put it up as a Facebook note. It takes a LOT for me to write something like this, as peers of mine frequently ask me in earnest about firearms and related shooting topics, however this guy is definitely deserving of a boycott by the local shooting community. Those who show no respect to customers deserve none themselves, nor do they deserve your hard-earned money.

Here's a past phone conversation we had:

(ME): Hey, Jim, it's Nick. Do you think I should go with high-rise rings for my rifle scope? I'm purchasing a Tasco (insert model number here).
(JIM): You went to my shop and didn't purchase anything, and NOW you expect ME to give YOU advice?
(ME): Yes; your scopes were too expensive, but if you want to make a sale on the ring set, you'll have to tell me what sort I would need for this rifle and if you have any in stock! You want to make a sale on the rings or not?
(JIM): Yea, you're gonna need high rise rings (angry tone).
(ME): Thanks.
{CLICK} (no, I didn't buy the rings off him after that, either)

Here's a positive experience I had at his store not long ago:

(ME): (entering store). How much for this chronograph, Jim? ( it was unmarked).
(JIM): I dunno, look at the price tag (annoyed tone).
(ME): It doesn't have a tag.
(JIM): Hundred bucks.
(ME): How much they usually go for? What's the regular price? (asked three times).
(JIM): (ignores me)
(ME): OK, Jim. You have any .41 caliber cast bullets for reloading?
(JIM): Where'd YOU get a .41? (as if it's his business)
(ME): A local shop. Ordered it in new condition not long ago.
(JIM): That's not Mass compliant. So how'd you get it?
(ME): I'm law enforcement/military. Mass compliant doesn't apply to me.
(JIM): Well, YOU'RE NOT law enforcement, and that gun WASN'T Mass compliant. So I wanna know how you got it in the state! (customers now staring)
(ME): I AM law enforcement; federal code 14 USC 89a. You have a computer, look it up. Now do you have any bullets or not?
(JIM): No.
{I exit the store with Khem in tow}.
(all throughout this Jim is staring at Khem, watching her like a hawk for the entire time we were in the shop. Only difference between her and other customers was the color of her skin..hmm.)

Besides all this crap, he is WAY overpriced. I'm talking an extortionate amount of merchandise price markup here. If you want ANY item in his shop, I can guarantee I can find it for you cheaper elsewhere. Just be advised to stay away from this clown.

Just a comment/correction:

- MGLs have NO exemption from the EOPS List for LE/Mil if buying (unless thru a department-PD/USCG in this case).
- So any new gun has to be on the EOPS List for individual purchase, even for LEOs.
- There IS an exemption from the AG Regs for LEOs (and I suspect but not certain - for Mil).

I absolutely agree with you. I'm assuming though, that since he was in fact able to purchase that particular firearm, it was within his abilities as LE/Mil. I believe it was the mere rudeness and approach of the gun store owner that caused ill sentiments.

Not speaking for someone else but from my own personal experience, I have dealt with the Middleboro Gun Shop, I recommend the Middleboro Gun Shop, and I have not had a bad experience there. But that is from personal experience not hearsay.[wink]

Not speaking for someone else but from my own personal experience, I have dealt with the Middleboro Gun Shop, I recommend the Middleboro Gun Shop, and I have not had a bad experience there. But that is from personal experience not hearsay.[wink]

+1
I've found Jim to be very personable, helpful and willing to wheel and deal.

+1
I've found Jim to be very personable, helpful and willing to wheel and deal.

JONJ WHAT ARE YOU SMOKIN????

I've had to yell at him to treat me like a human being more than once.

He treats people like shit!!!
2up.gif

Fred

JONJ WHAT ARE YOU SMOKIN????

I've had to yell at him to treat me like a human being more than once.

He treats people like shit!!!
2up.gif

Fred
Sorry, Fred. I just know how I've been treated when I've been there. I have never had a bad experience with him. And I only know him from the shop.
dunno.gif

I've had good experiences at the Middleboro shop and found him to be very helpful. He found a decent holster for my glock and helped me set it up. His prices are a little on the high side.

I posted this over a year ago. I think it still applies:

Jim can be a little moody sometimes, so you don't always know what you're going to face when you go there. Once you get to be recognized as more than a one timer, the atmosphere warms up a bit.

Since I posted that previous comment:

I was recently going thru my paper work and noticed that I could not find one of the FA10's for one of my guns that I bought from him almost 2 years previous. I went there told him that I needed a copy and gave him the make, serial number and approximate time I bought the gun. He told me to come back in a few days. When I came back, he had a copy there for me. I asked how much he wanted for his efforts. He said how much was it worth to me? I think I gave him $20.

He went thru his old records for me and got what I wanted. I don't know how long it took but I felt that he went above and beyond for me, so to me the $20 was fair. I guess he thought so too.

That's not bad service.

Last edited:
I posted this over a year ago. I think it still applies:

Since I posted that previous comment:

I was recently going thru my paper work and noticed that I could not find one of the FA10's for one of my guns that I bought from him almost 2 years previous. I went there told him that I needed a copy and gave him the make, serial number and approximate time I bought the gun. He told me to come back in a few days. When I came back, he had a copy there for me. I asked how much he wanted for his efforts. He said how much was it worth to me? I think I gave him $20.

He went thru his old records for me and got what I wanted. I don't know how long it took but I felt that he went above and beyond for me, so to me the $20 was fair. I guess he thought so too.

That's not bad service.

It's not BAD service, but GOOD service would be refusing to take any money (as opposed to his "let's see what this guy will give me so I don't have to look like a jerk asking him for money for something I should have done for free in the first place" tactic). This seems to be right in line with the rest of the comments/experiences posted here.

I am going to avoid this shop completely.

I gotta say Jim has always been good to me too.
Guys, with a house full of little ones I tend to be more like a kid staring at the Sears catalog for things daddy cant afford. A real "tire kicker" at best.
I have bought some ammo and a few miscellaneous other things and then I dream of AR's and new .45's but the kids come first and he seems good with that.
I have never felt unwelcome or cold shouldered there.

Never had anything but good experience with Jim. I've probably bought a dozen guns there and sold a few, too. Always been treated fairly and politely, and he has gone out of his way to find old parts and manuals for me. Also excellent smithing service.

Tinpig

He is an a**h*** !!!

Hello !I am new here but, not new to the area or firearms. I am close to my 30 year mark of collecting and dealing in firearms. Chuck Fay was a really great guy and i always enjoyed dealing with him. Jim on the other hand is a jerk to say the least. He burned me on a gun i left on consignment years back. He claimed that he had to sell it for less money than i wanted and then he tried to charge me a percentage of the sale instead of the flat fixed rate he had when i left the gun.He did all this without so much of even a call to get my ok! Then when i complained about it he got pissed off. I had all the agreement in writing back then and hes lucky i didnt sue him in small claims court. If, it was today i certainly would! Dont waste your money dealing with him.

Back
Top Bottom