minimum shooting distance

i'm wondering what the minimum shooting distance is at gun clubs in MA (particularly south shore) I'm at a club where the minimum distance allowed to shoot is 25 yards. This is in my opinion an unrealistic distance for practicing for self defense. How close are you guys allowed to shoot?

I think most places do 20-25ft due to potential richocets and making sure the rounds make it into the back stop?

My friend, you ought to have old eyes, I can't even see 25 yds.[laugh] I use the learning range at harvard a lot, forget how thats set up...7 yds and 4 yds? Dont know really, but close in. When I have good optic days (when I see good) I'll have a go at the dueling tree at 25. I don't shoot bullseye gallery any more so no real need to keep practicing out too far but its good to keep your hand in.

wow..i didn't realize 20-25 yds was a norm. I do well from 25 yds but would really like to get some close range practice in. Even at the outdoor range 25 yds is the minimum. I've taken a few CC classes at MFS where we shot from 3,7 and 15 yards but can't get that practice in at the club.

the club I belong to has the outdoor pistol range set up for 3yds, 7yds, 50ft, 25yds and 50yds. They also recently put in a 4 pit IDPA range, to be used for IDPA shoots only.

Braintree uses 33 feet as a minimum inside. At closer distances with a large target, you are probably going to bounce rounds off of the floor and ceiling. (and they do)

I never thought about this. I am surprised at the level of ignorance or fuddidity here from lgc's regarding distances to target.
So behind the times with the "logic" inflicted on club members here.
Our club, no limit indoors closeness, as long as impact hits backstop, not the floor. Outdoor range same. The target hangers are at 10', 15' and 25' outdoors.
Southborough Rod and Gun, a wonderful club.

Last edited:
Outdoors at Braintree R&P is 27' for the closest.

Mansfield F&G you can shoot at any distance you like up to 50yds on the 50yd range. Ditto on the training range (currently restricted to approved instructors) up to ~30' max.

I never thought about this. I am surprised at the level of ignorance or fuddidity here from lgc's regarding distances to target.
So behind the times with the "logic" inflicted on club members here.
Our club, no limit indoors closeness, as long as impact hits backstop, not the floor. Outdoor range same. The target hangers are at 10', 15' and 25' outdoors.
Southborough Rod and Gun, a wonderful club.

Danvers Fish & Game is similar to this for the outdoor range, but IIRC, the longest is 50'. The indoor range is 50' long, and is ready to re-open next month after a $1M overhaul. I don't know yet if there is a minimum distance indoors. The steel plate range is about 25' (I think). I'll know next Sunday when I shoot it for the first time.

Limitations on indoor ranges is typically due to reducing the chance for morons hitting the walls, floor, and ceiling.

This is true unfortunately. People who don't know any better will hang a giant target at arms length and shoot it at angles that cause the bullets to hit stuff that isn't the backstop.

Old Colony has 3yds as well as 5, 7, 10 yards hanging and 25 and 50 standing on the pistol side and up until very very recently we "HAD" 50, 100, and I guess even 200 on the rifle side. "HAD" being the operative word. I'm not 100% sure why pistol shooters lost the use of the rifle side but my understanding is that it had something to do with TRAJECTORY and how the baffles looked like they were the target.
It never ceases to amaze me how some people see fit to intentionally shoot the baffles and supports with total disregard for the effort of some people and the clubs money. I don't even understand the thought process. We do have a lot more trained safety officers out there now who are more interested in helping and coaching new shooters than acting as range police but they do keep a friendly eyes on things and keep us all a little safer.
Oops I think I wandered off target but safety conscious shooters want to shoot along side safety conscious shooters. I do a much enter job when I'm not being swept.

Harvard Sportsmens Club has no 'minimum distance' requirements, just all shooters must be firing from the same distance. So you don't have people shooting from behind you. This applies indoor and outdoor.

My club, Massapoag, has an indoor range with targets on a pulley system you set at whatever distance you want. Our outside range you have to hang from baffles at certain distances.

i'm wondering what the minimum shooting distance is at gun clubs in MA (particularly south shore) I'm at a club where the minimum distance allowed to shoot is 25 yards. This is in my opinion an unrealistic distance for practicing for self defense. How close are you guys allowed to shoot?

Touching the target with your muzzle, since that's the most likely distance you'll be assaulted at.

Seriously.

And you need to find a real range. 25y min is absurd.

Limitations on indoor ranges is typically due to reducing the chance for morons hitting the walls, floor, and ceiling.

This is true unfortunately. People who don't know any better will hang a giant target at arms length and shoot it at angles that cause the bullets to hit stuff that isn't the backstop.

Yeah, sadly rules, like laws, don't stop stupid people. Which is why most rules and laws are utterly pointless.

Yeah, sadly rules, like laws, don't stop stupid people. Which is why most rules and laws are utterly pointless.

True, at least in respect to truly stupid people. We generally don't take stupid people in as members, but occasionally we'll get someone who hasn't thought it through and is being unintentionally stupid. (More like ignorant.) In those (very few) cases so far it's just a matter of explaining the purpose of the rule and it's no longer an issue. As long as the bullets are safely hitting the backstop I'm personally not going to bother anyone who wants to put the target closer that the black and white rule allows.

I can put my muzzle against my target if I want.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not. Find a different club.

I was going to say, I can shoot as close as I want. I actually got a little too close (~15 feet) a couple weeks ago testing some of my 44 mag reloads against a watermelon...little messy[laugh].

atilla, is that you?!

haha no. I just watched too many hickok45 videos that day and seeing him blow up watermelons made me want to do the same! So I went to the grocery store and bought a $4 watermelon which didn't last long when I shot my 240 gr JSPs out of my 7.5" Ruger SRH...

Back
Top Bottom