minimum shooting distance

what kind of club would have a 50ft min? How the hell is someone new to shooting supposed to learn anything shooting only that far away? While decent shooters are fine at that range, 50 ft is kind of idiotic for pistol shooting for anyone whose main focus is to learn defensive shooting.

what kind of club would have a 50ft min? How the hell is someone new to shooting supposed to learn anything shooting only that far away? While decent shooters are fine at that range, 50 ft is kind of idiotic for pistol shooting for anyone whose main focus is to learn defensive shooting.

It is typically on smaller indoor ranges, due to the geometry. If the target is up against the backstop and you hit the target, then your round impacts the backstop. If the target is only 10' away from you and you are offset a bit, you can hit the target but then have your rounds hit the wall.

Here is an example at one of the clubs that I belong to:

indoor2.jpg

The range is very narrow and, yes, morons have hit the wall (and the overhead baffles, too).

I'm always surprised at the number of guys who practice at 50 feet and not 3 yards. They laugh when I shoot the Seecamp at arms length but if it ever gets used it will be up close and personal. I think it is Larry Seecamp who calls it an eye socket gun. No sights and just a lowly .32 auto round but I'm guessing at 3 feet the gold dot will be sufficient. Hell, this is Assachusetts and anytime further than that and you had time to run away...NOT!!!

Braintree uses 33 feet as a minimum inside. At closer distances with a large target, you are probably going to bounce rounds off of the floor and ceiling. (and they do)

I guess some of the instructors that take their students there believe the rules don't apply to them. There's been at least a half a dozen times while I was there they had the students shooting targets at 8-10 feet.

I guess some of the instructors that take their students there believe the rules don't apply to them. There's been at least a half a dozen times while I was there they had the students shooting targets at 8-10 feet.

I blame that on our CRO at BR&P!!

NRA insists that we train students (BP) at very short distances (9-15' IIRC, I don't usually teach this course currently), so that they can build confidence (keep all shots on the paper). I discussed this with our CRO and he agreed that IFF we are teaching students, we can bring the targets in closer on the indoor ranges. BUT we can only do this for training until they get their shots on paper. However, he never announced this to ALL the instructors (or even all ROs) nor has it ever been told to members so they won't think it is OK to do so because they saw someone else do it.

So what you saw is perfectly fine, but the fact that nobody has made clear to members that it is an exception only for Certified Trainers while performing Training (ONLY) is not OK in my book. Net result is that a fair number of regular members see this and think it is OK for them to do whenever they feel like it.

I try to do all my training at Mansfield F&G instead of BR&P since that rule applies to everyone there (any distance on the 50yd range is OK) and I can see what the shooter is doing (the booths at BR&P are great but make teaching very difficult). I do like doing the Moon Island Training at BR&P, using the fixed distances at the Short Pistol Range (it's close enough to what Moon Island is).

I blame that on our CRO at BR&P!!

NRA insists that we train students (BP) at very short distances (9-15' IIRC, I don't usually teach this course currently), so that they can build confidence (keep all shots on the paper). I discussed this with our CRO and he agreed that IFF we are teaching students, we can bring the targets in closer on the indoor ranges. BUT we can only do this for training until they get their shots on paper. However, he never announced this to ALL the instructors (or even all ROs) nor has it ever been told to members so they won't think it is OK to do so because they saw someone else do it.

So what you saw is perfectly fine, but the fact that nobody has made clear to members that it is an exception only for Certified Trainers while performing Training (ONLY) is not OK in my book. Net result is that a fair number of regular members see this and think it is OK for them to do whenever they feel like it.

I try to do all my training at Mansfield F&G instead of BR&P since that rule applies to everyone there (any distance on the 50yd range is OK) and I can see what the shooter is doing (the booths at BR&P are great but make teaching very difficult). I do like doing the Moon Island Training at BR&P, using the fixed distances at the Short Pistol Range (it's close enough to what Moon Island is).

I'm guilty of shooting in front of the yellow line at BRP indoor. And by that, I mean I'm not on the yellow, I'm probably just in front of it, usually just when the over head lighting lights my target, I stop. Which is usually in the vicinity of the yellow line. It's hard to judge the distance with relation to the line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom