Most overrated handgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't own a beretta.

but you're right. 9mm doesn't have the stopping power of heavier calibers. .45 for example will blow a guy through windows upside down and backwards. whereas the 9mm only tips him over a little.

jeeesus... will the stopping power myth ever die?

Look at it this way....in WW2, the US used .45, and the Germans used 9mm. We won. What does that tell you? Obviously, 9mm is not a serious combat caliber.

I think you missed the point of my post.

Do you moonlight for the Brady campaign? [thinking]

You must not know much about the AWB, either. There are a hell of a lot more guns mentioned in the AWB than just an UZI.

BTW, "UZI Pistols" as it were, are actually relatively rare. The most common ones are the semiautomatic carbine variety, or the submachinegun variety. Even in NFA land, the Micro and Mini uzis are also a lot rarer compared to its slower firing counterparts.

-Mike

Do you even have to ask the question??

GLOCK

Sights suck, grip sucks and is just a gimmick, weight is too low for accurate rapid fire shooting, crappy trigger, cheap hexagonal barrel design. Only thing they do well are the magazines and the reliability and cost.

Too light for accurate rapid fire? Grip sucks and is a gimmick?

Dude, stop spewing the internet talking points and try one your self.

Look at it this way....in WW2, the US used .45, and the Germans used 9mm. We won. What does that tell you? Obviously, 9mm is not a serious combat caliber.

You say that like both sides went about trying to kill each other with just handguns [laugh]

I don't understand the hate for the Beretta. Damn good gun at a reasonable price.

The grip on my glock is definitely a gimmick...every time I go to grab it, I CANT!

You say that like both sides went about trying to kill each other with just handguns [laugh]

Shush, you!

-Plunger tubes like to fall off of guns- especially if you have an S+W scandium framed 1911.... having a tube fall off one of those is a rite of passage.

This is true, thankfully it is not an issue with the 2011
Or some of the modern 1911 single stacks. If you look at the design of the 1911 frame, you'll see that the sides are perfectly flat when the plunger tube and grip bushings(*) are removed. This simplified the older manufacturing process where a a forged or cast frame was then machined as a single flat side is easier to do than a surface with a raised tube and bushings.

As long as I'm on the topic of staked on parts, the facotry front sight is staked on to the 1911 - a mechanism that has been substantially improved on with dovetailed front sights.

Modern CNC techniques have made is possible to create a frame without the staked on plunger tube, but some manufacturers still use the old way since it can simplify manfuacturing.

* - Another item that should have been on the problem list for 1911's :)

Last edited:
I don't understand the hate for the Beretta. Damn good gun at a reasonable price.
Hold on, lemme get my flame suit...

It's a good gun, but its HUGE, LONG, HEAVY and no more accurate than my G19C - which BTW is a double tap machine, so whoever was bitching about Glock rapid fire you are FOS and if you were standing in front of me, I'd reenact a Homer Simpson glove slap and challenge you to a duel... [rofl2]

The 92 is correctly rated - not over, not under. Damn good gun...

Ruger L C P

how could you possibly look serious in a gun fight with something smaller than my blackberry?

And, it is a plastic revolver!

My thought exactly. We have votes for Sig, Colts, H&K, Glocks, Seecamps, XDs, M&P series, LCPs, DE, and a Beretta. I think that about covers it.

Don't forget Ruger (see above).

You should restart this whole thread as a poll.

It's a good gun, but its HUGE, LONG, HEAVY and no more accurate than my G19C - which BTW is a double tap machine, so whoever was bitching about Glock rapid fire you are FOS

I would say it is an OK gun, for the money it is a good gun to learn with.

As for follow up shots, my G29 in 10mm is super fast back on target. That is why I want a G19 to train and shoot with, I am burning through 10mm to fast with it.

...BTW, I love those movies, they where just on TV about a month ago (all 5 of them). Watched 'em all!

Yeah, old Charlie B came a long way from his old nickled Colt .32 [grin]

Do you even have to ask the question??

GLOCK

Sights suck, grip sucks and is just a gimmick, weight is too low for accurate rapid fire shooting, crappy trigger, cheap hexagonal barrel design. Only thing they do well are the magazines and the reliability and cost.

You clearly have very little trigger time on Glocks, you don't sell a couple of million "gimmicks".

This. [cheers]

[laugh]

Ruger L C P

how could you possibly look serious in a gun fight with something smaller than my blackberry?

And, it is a plastic revolver!

Don't forget Ruger (see above).

You should restart this whole thread as a poll.

Coyote33, that's the "LCR" you're thinking of.

1911 sucks too unless you buy one so expensive you are afraid to shoot it and would never carry it.

Right, forget about doing your own research and having one built like I did for under 1500 bucks that has chewed through 700 rounds in a month with out being cleaned. If I wanted to try to conceal something that big, I wouldn't think twice about it. But then again, I wouldn't try to conceal a full size pistol, M9, 1911, or Sig 220.

Right, forget about doing your own research and having one built like I did for under 1500 bucks that has chewed through 700 rounds in a month with out being cleaned. If I wanted to try to conceal something that big, I wouldn't think twice about it. But then again, I wouldn't try to conceal a full size pistol, M9, 1911, or Sig 220.

Actually out of all those mentioned, the 1911 conceals the best with it's relatively (for a full size handgun) thin profile, I carry IWB all the time with 1911's. The only full size handgun that conceals as well IMO is the G17/22/31 family.

Actually out of all those mentioned, the 1911 conceals the best with it's relatively (for a full size handgun) thin profile, I carry IWB all the time with 1911's. The only full size handgun that conceals as well IMO is the G17/22/31 family.

This is true, and until I decided I wanted something else, I was carrying my commander-ish Kimber IWB.

I love them all, I just roll my eyes at a lot of the internet argument points I keep reading in this thread. Glocks are too light, 1911's jam all the time, M9 sucks because 9mm wont stop a haji/bear, I feel like I am reading XDtalk.com, except that there is no real lusting over the XD line since it isn't readily available in MA.

ETA; I do have 2 XD's and I love them too. [grin]

Yeah, my shooting buddy has a glock, and the sights came misaligned from the factory. And he can't shoot it worth a crap. Although he can shoot my Sig much better, he won't give up the glock because ITS JUST SO UBER TACTI-COOL MAN!!

And the Gimmick I am referring to are the finger groves. They don't improve the functionality since they are not custom fitted. I am convinced it was the Glock marketing people who are responsible for the finger groves, not their engineers.

Last edited:
What do you consider the design flaws.... For me, its the grip safety, I disable all of mine

There is nothing wrong with the grip safety in the original 1911. This feature becomes troublesome when a beavertail grip safety and wide thumb safety are added; both parts JMB never envisioned in his pistol. These parts, coupled with the "high thumb" grip activate the safety. If there is a flaw here it is not in the original design, but in the modifications. I deactivate mine too.

Those who complain about reliability should remember that the pistol was intended to function with jacketed round nose ammo.

I find it hard to believe that 100 year old pistol which dominates competitive shooting today is overrated.

Yeah, my shooting buddy has a glock, and the sights came misaligned from the factory. And he can't shoot it worth a crap. Although he can shoot my Sig much better, he won't give up the glock because ITS JUST SO UBER TACTI-COOL MAN!!

So your buddy had a factory issue with the sights, what does that have to do with the weight of the gun effecting your ability to make follow up shots?

I think its safe to say every single handgun mentioned in this thread is overrated in one way or another. Yet each fills its niche for whatever characteristics a particular shooter is looking for. Is that a broad enough statement?! [smile]

I love Colt 1911's, and I'm lucky to have a few that run just fine. I have no interest in any models made after the 80's though. Generally they are finicky. Buy an old used Series 70, have it gone over by a competent 'smith WHO KNOWS THE 1911 and I bet you'll be happy. S&W's line are nice guns but overpriced by at least $300.

Glocks. Besides the .40's, I'd have no problem trusting my life to one. Reasonable price, reliable, simple. Grip is crappy but I've seen worse.

Sigs. If I were Inspector Gadget and could telescope my neck to get a nice sight line, they'd be fine.

S&W's Walther products. Hey, S&W, stop. Really. Just stop trying. Carl Walther is rolling over in his grave.

Beretta M9. Although oversized and overengineered, a perfectly fine firearm. I had one and carried it on occasion for ~5 years but cannot comment on it's reported weakness to dust and grime as I did not carry and fire it in the desert or drop it in the dirt. I do know that many of our troops don't care for them. I think their opinion counts the most for obvious reasons.

HK. Expensive yes. Nice shooters though. I've fired a USP and liked it.

Ruger. I have 3 Ruger handguns. They make a fine product at a decent price. The magazine safety on the MKIII pisses me off though.

Desert Eagle? Right off the bat, the company name is pretentious. Almost more so than the gun itself. Pamela Anderson holding one is the only thing I like about the DE.

Kahr. I think they're underrated. Ingenious, simple design and are very reliable. IMO the trigger is the only thing that keeps it from being a perfect handgun. Forget about the new MA compliant versions though. That safety lever is f@ckin stupid.

What have I missed...

There is nothing wrong with the grip safety in the original 1911.
Holy slide bite batman!

I find it hard to believe that 100 year old pistol which dominates competitive shooting today is overrated.
This is a really good point, but I don't think most people have shot a competition or even semi-custom 1911. They're almost totally different animals. The first time I shot a Brazos Custom Limited gun was unlike anything I'd shot before.

Last edited:
Holy slide bite batman!

This is a really good point, but I don't think most people have shot a competition or even semi-custom 1911. They're almost totally different animals. The first time I shot a Bezos Custom Limited gun was unlike anything I'd shot before.

Do you mean Brazos Custom?

Kahr. I think they're underrated. Ingenious, simple design and are very reliable. IMO the trigger is the only thing that keeps it from being a perfect handgun. Forget about the new MA compliant versions though. That safety lever is f@ckin stupid.

Now there's a statement that I can agree with. I love my PM9 (49 state version - no silly "lawyer lever.")

I REALLY like my sigs. (Even the one in .40!! [shocked])

Had a Glock 17 for a while. Meh....

Carried an M9 in the Marines. Meh....

Had a Walther P99c that I actually liked a lot, but didn't particularly like the "non-standard" mag release. (Replaced it with the PM9.)

Shot a few HKs and really liked them except for the mag release. (Similar to the P99)

Who doesn't like a nice 1911? If nothing else it's a classic....

With all of that said, pistols are fun toys but rifles are where it's at. If the "Fit hit the Shan" I'd take an AR over any pistol in a New York minute. [wink]

(Interesting that there are no wheel guns on the list so far.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom