Most overrated handgun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMO comparing a custom 1911 that dominates competition to most box stock 1911's purchased over the counter at the gunshops is like comparing...

1999_Ford_TaurusNASCAR_exfrdrvr34.jpg

To

show.jpg

Not all are created equal and in general the reputation earned by quality custom 1911's isn't well served by most ammo/mag finicky jam-o-matic cheap 1911's. Today you can walk in to a gun shop and pick up a Glock, Sig, M&P, XD, Ruger, Beretta... etc that just plain works right out of the box with pretty much any ammo off the shelf. In order to have a good 1911 for the same $$$$, your going to need a good gunsmith to give it the once over and even then there are no guarantees.

Overrated = "Given an undue amount of credit for quality or merit in a field; not necessarily related to popularity"

ETA You can't lump together 1911 guns like Para, Colt and S&W anymore than you can combine plastic guns like Glocks and the M&P series.

Last edited:
Just pointing out that you can sell millions of just about anything. So sales volume is not really an indication of quality.

When it comes to something that's meant to potentially save your life, it is. When you consider the amount of agencies as well as civilans that have evaluated and used them for all practical purposes I think you must realize that Glocks are a little more than "gimmicks".

As to the beretta, I have carried one for years and I like it. They have always been reliable for me and they shoot very accurately. They are very heavy however and I had to invest in the soft grips for it to feel right in my hand. Also, the action gets sticky after a couple hundred rounds without a wipe down and a coat of oil.

As to the beretta, I have carried one for years and I like it. They have always been reliable for me and they shoot very accurately. They are very heavy however and I had to invest in the soft grips for it to feel right in my hand. Also, the action gets sticky after a couple hundred rounds without a wipe down and a coat of oil.

Could you elaborate more on what exactly gets sticky? On average I put about 200+ rounds through my 92 each trip to the range. I have about 2000 rounds through it since it's last cleaning. Never have I once noticed any sort of malfunctions or added resistance.

When it comes to something that's meant to potentially save your life, it is. When you consider the amount of agencies as well as civilans that have evaluated and used them for all practical purposes I think you must realize that Glocks are a little more than "gimmicks".

I never said Glocks were gimmicks. You made that leap. I just pointed out that making the statement that sales (military/police contracts aside as they were not mentioned at the time) is not proof that the item being sold is not a gimmick. Look at the number of people buying Taurus and expecting a .410 loaded with shot to save them from an attacker. Might work, but deffinately a gimmick and one that is selling quite well.

Had a Walther P99c that I actually liked a lot, but didn't particularly like the "non-standard" mag release. (Replaced it with the PM9.)

I'm not sure what I think about the mag release. I'm used to it now and although I like it, every time I pick up a different gun I look for the mag release on the trigger guard.

It's like driving a manual trans. every day then getting into an auto, your left foot always looks for the non-existent clutch. [rofl]

And the Gimmick I am referring to are the finger groves. They don't improve the functionality since they are not custom fitted. I am convinced it was the Glock marketing people who are responsible for the finger groves, not their engineers.

Depends on your hand size, etc. I used to have 2nd gen Glocks but I sold them all after trying a 3rd gen and noticed it fit a lot better in my hand, partly due to the finger grooves and the thumb relief thing.

I tell people this all the time... if a Glock dont' fit right in your hand, buy something else. That's what choices are there for. [grin]

-Mike

...the action gets sticky after a couple hundred rounds without a wipe down and a coat of oil.

What are you using for oil?

every time I pick up a different gun I look for the mag release on the trigger guard.

That was the problem exactly. I actually like the mag release there, but I like consistency across platforms even more.

I'm not sure what I think about the mag release. I'm used to it now and although I like it, every time I pick up a different gun I look for the mag release on the trigger guard.

It's like driving a manual trans. every day then getting into an auto, your left foot always looks for the non-existent clutch. [rofl]

I have the same mag release on my USP, and I don't mind it at all. The only ones I'm not big on are the heel versions you see on old German Sigs and Walthers.

I never said Glocks were gimmicks. You made that leap. I just pointed out that making the statement that sales (military/police contracts aside as they were not mentioned at the time) is not proof that the item being sold is not a gimmick. Look at the number of people buying Taurus and expecting a .410 loaded with shot to save them from an attacker. Might work, but deffinately a gimmick and one that is selling quite well.

I didn't "leap" to anything. On the subject of overrated firearms, I support the belief that Glocks are not gimmicky & overrated and employ facts to back up what I'm saying. You're the one that posted a foolish link comparing sales of a trivial desk ornament as a rebuttal to my position that you don't sell over a couple of million "gimmicks". My sincerest apologies if you didn't grasp what I was saying because I didn't clarify in my OP that "you don't sell a couple of million gimmicks that someday you may have to rely on to save your life". It's either that or you just were deliberately derailing the thread? I'll give you partial intellectual credit and say it's probably the latter. Now go split hairs somewhere else, I'm done. [laugh]

That was the problem exactly. I actually like the mag release there, but I like consistency across platforms even more.
That's one of the things that keeps me from carrying my HK USPc .45 -- the position of the mag release.

i don't own a beretta.

but you're right. 9mm doesn't have the stopping power of heavier calibers. .45 for example will blow a guy through windows upside down and backwards. whereas the 9mm only tips him over a little.

jeeesus... will the stopping power myth ever die?

Thanks too soon for me to plus one though

Could you elaborate more on what exactly gets sticky? On average I put about 200+ rounds through my 92 each trip to the range. I have about 2000 rounds through it since it's last cleaning. Never have I once noticed any sort of malfunctions or added resistance.
It seems like the round cycling slows down a bit after 2-3 hundred rounds through it. I just use regular CLP on it. If I break it down and give it a wipe plus a few drops of CLP its fine afterwards. This is also while using whatever ammo is cheapest that day.

After following this whole thread, and even throwing in my $0.02 earlier, I've come to the conclusion that every kind of handgun I do not currently own is overrated, and every kind that I do own is not.

IBTL

[grin]

Now there's a statement that I can agree with. I love my PM9 (49 state version - no silly "lawyer lever.")

I REALLY like my sigs. (Even the one in .40!! [shocked])

Had a Glock 17 for a while. Meh....

Carried an M9 in the Marines. Meh....

Had a Walther P99c that I actually liked a lot, but didn't particularly like the "non-standard" mag release. (Replaced it with the PM9.)

Shot a few HKs and really liked them except for the mag release. (Similar to the P99)

Who doesn't like a nice 1911? If nothing else it's a classic....

With all of that said, pistols are fun toys but rifles are where it's at. If the "Fit hit the Shan" I'd take an AR over any pistol in a New York minute. [wink]

(Interesting that there are no wheel guns on the list so far.)

I agree with all that also. I think the PM9 is a great design and quite well made.

I also really like my SIGs because I shoot them well.

After following this whole thread, and even throwing in my $0.02 earlier, I've come to the conclusion that every kind of handgun I do not currently own is overrated, and every kind that I do own is not.

If you dont mind, post up a handful of the semi auto handguns you own for my curiosity if nothing else. Thank you.

Too light for accurate rapid fire? Grip sucks and is a gimmick?

Dude, stop spewing the internet talking points and try one your self.

Ed, so I wrote this all up then realized you were making the same point as me. Glocks are certainly not gimicks. Either way, I've linked to a cool vid. So I'll just leave the rest.
Except I realize that I'm actually replying to the person you were replying to.

Have you ever shot one?? There's a reason the Glock 34 is the most popular gun in IDPA.
In no way is it too light for accurate rapid fire.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y0WQAnyAK8&feature=related

Its dave sevigny struggling with the "too light for accurate rapid fire" glock.

Then later in the video 14 year old Tori Nonaka struggles mightily with the terrible glock 34.

Cheap, accurate enough, reliable and tunable. Thats a glock in a nutshell

Don

p.s. I agree with you about the grip angle. My 1911s point much more naturally.

Last edited:
A Glock can not be over rated. In free states a brand new one only costs $499. Considering what you get for that $499, they are more than great.

I think they are worth twice that. In Mass, since a new one can cost $800, some people could call it over rated if it does not fit their hand. They need to consider that they paid more for it in Mass then elsewhere because of the AG rules.

Ok, so you insult me. But you give no justification. I'm confused.

How is the fact that more competitors choose the 34 in SSP in IDPA any less relevant than any other reason others have given?

I've owned good 1911s and bad 1911s. Either way I see their appeal. I'm not a Glock fanboy.

I've owned and shot a 34 in IDPA and made Expert in SSP. Which puts me firmly in the midst of reasonably competent mediocre shooters. So I feel justified to say that its a decent gun. Cheap, it fits my hand well and its trigger is supremely tunable with a nice short reset.

The video shows a massively talented, athletic guy able to handle the "too light" glock.
It also shows a 100 lb 14 year old girl handling the same gun with impressive skill. Either way, its a decent rebuttal to the idea that the Glock is too heavy to be fired quickly with accuracy.

This is persnoally backed up by my wife's experience. She started shooting at the beginning of the summer by shooting an Appleseed. (we shot it , diddn't just read about it on the internet, and I made rifleman if it matters to you)
Later in the summer we were geting her ready for Walls of Steel in Rhode Island and she decided she liked the 34 best of all the guns she tried. So I guess the massive recoil generated by its feathery weight and the supremely powerful 9x19 round weren't a problem for her.

Don

p.s. Is that an airsoft gun your shooting in your avatar. Might want to paint the orange muzzle black.
p.p.s. I've thrown in some references to actual shooting I've done just to spice things up. Oh wait, here's a pic of me getting my rifleman patch: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=16961.0

Last edited:
you got your rifleman patch? congrats. wow! that's some hardcore shooting, dude. could you set up a training session? i could certainly use a serious training session with an appleseed rifleman.

I would be interested in this as well.

Now there's a statement that I can agree with. I love my PM9 (49 state version - no silly "lawyer lever.")

double +1, I can for some reason inexplicable to mankind shoot my Kahr PM9 with incredible accuracy at 50 feet. Others cannot, but for me it works wonders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom