Most store guns "unsafely" ...

MaverickNH

NES Member
Pediatrics. 2007 Jun;119(6):e1271-9.
Firearm ownership and storage patterns among families with children who receive well-child care in pediatric offices.DuRant RH, Barkin S, Craig JA, Weiley VA, Ip EH, Wasserman RC.
Department of Pediatrics, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, 1 Medical Center Blvd, Winston-Salem, NC 27157, USA. [email protected]

OBJECTIVE: In this study we examined firearm storage patterns and their associations in a diverse sample of families who attended pediatric practices from both rural and nonrural areas across the United States. METHODS: Parents who brought their children who were aged 2 to 11 years (N = 3745) to 96 Pediatric Research in Office Settings practices from 45 states, Canada, and Puerto Rico participated in an office-based survey before a well-child examination. The survey measured demographic variables; family history of guns in the home; and firearm types, storage behaviors, and ownership. RESULTS: Twenty-three percent of families reported firearm ownership. The majority (60%) of respondents reported making firearm storage decisions. Only one third of firearm owners reported safe firearm storage. Gun type owned was associated with storage habits, with long-gun owners storing their gun in places other than locked cabinets but with ammunition separate from guns and handgun users more likely to store guns loaded and to use gun locks. In a multivariate analysis, not being raised with a firearm was associated with safe storage behaviors. Families who had children aged 2 to 5 years and owned long guns were more likely to store their guns safely than families with older children. CONCLUSIONS: Few families reported safe firearm storage. Storage patterns are most influenced by firearm type(s) owned, family socialization with guns, and the age of the child. Primary care providers need to understand better not only whether firearms are in the home but also which types are present and whether parents were raised in homes with guns.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...nt/119/6/e1271

The safe/unsafe determining questions are detailed as: "Firearm storage–related behavior questions included the following: “Are any guns stored or hidden in a place other than a locked cabinet or gun safe?” “Are all guns stored with a gunlock on them?” “Are bullets stored separate from all guns?”

So unless you keep a gun unloaded, locked in a safe, with a gunlock on it, with cartridges stored elsewhere, your gun is stored in an unsafe manner. Next best thing is to cut the frame in half and weld the barrel shut - then it's sure to be of no use.

No political agenda there, no sirree. My primary care doctor asked me these same questions a few years ago. He's a good guy and a great doctor. I wasn't offended, I guess because I know the PC drill that most hospitals and doctors follow. My answer was, "Why would I keep them like that? Won't do me a bit of difference if I need one of them, would it?" He's skipped that question ever since. :)

Medical people tend to be liberal and so they buy all this BS. Another example is that 50+% of women are battered by their spouses. When this was brought up at one of our monthly training sessions my reply was, "I've been eating mine plain for so long that I didn't know you could get them any other way". Everyone EXCEPT the instructor got the joke.

BTW, every woman who is seen in an ED is supposed to be asked if they feel safe in their home. Apparently someone feels that there is a great population of people who are abused at home, afraid to report it to the police, but will tell a nurse. I wonder how much science there is behind that one?

Gary

So unless you keep a gun unloaded, locked in a safe, with a gunlock on it, with cartridges stored elsewhere, your gun is stored in an unsafe manner. Next best thing is to cut the frame in half and weld the barrel shut - then it's sure to be of no use.

My wife and I are in the process of adopting from DSS. This is the storage standard they require... very agrivating...

BTW, every woman who is seen in an ED is supposed to be asked if they feel safe in their home. Apparently someone feels that there is a great population of people who are abused at home, afraid to report it to the police, but will tell a nurse. I wonder how much science there is behind that one?

Over the past nearly 3 years and 7 surgeries I've gone through, I've had to answer that question in the pre op questionaire every time. I also have to answer it when I go to my GYN. It's pretty standard.

Gary

Not just women. I was in the hospital last week (Lahey), and they specifically asked my that very question. "Do you feel safe in your home?"

Over the past nearly 3 years and 7 surgeries I've gone through, I've had to answer that question in the pre op questionaire every time. I also have to answer it when I go to my GYN. It's pretty standard.

Not to split hairs, but you've been asked it, you technically don't HAVE to answer it. I know it's a small difference but maybe if enough people said MYOB, this BS would stop.

Gary

Not to split hairs, but you've been asked it, you technically don't HAVE to answer it. I know it's a small difference but maybe if enough people said MYOB, this BS would stop.

Gary

Sorry Gary, I should have added that I didn't answer the question. I'm trying to keep the typing short as I've got 2 sore fingers. [smile]

Yeah I had to answer that question too.[rolleyes]

Not just women. I was in the hospital last week (Lahey), and they specifically asked my that very question. "Do you feel safe in your home?"
Why, no, I don't - the Commonwealth requires that I keep my guns locked up. I'd feel much safer with a cocked & locked .45 on the nightstand rather than in a safe. (And you know what I mean, and it's NOT "locked" with a key!)

Primary care providers need to understand better not only whether firearms are in the home but also which types are present and whether parents were raised in homes with guns.

Primary care providers need to be told to STFU about what is none of their business.

Amen to what Gary said. If more of us would tell more of them to go to hell and mind their own business, the point would start getting across.

I don't know, my children have been to two seperate Pedi Practices.

I've never been asked this question by any of the doctors that have seen my kids. Hell, I've never been asked this by any of my doctors either for that matter. Wasn't even asked in the Hospital when my wife had both of our kids...

Once at one of my daughters physicals they asked her if she knew not to touch a gun if she ever found one. I don't rightly remember her exact responce, but I do remember the doc moving on and I was right proud.

I'll have to remember to answer "No, I don't feel safe. Even though I have a loaded .45 on my hip, if I ever have to use it to protect myself, the scum who run this state will take my gun away and take me away from my family. Then they will use every resouce at their disposal to put me in jail. No, I don't feel safe."

I don't know, my children have been to two seperate Pedi Practices.

I've never been asked this question by any of the doctors that have seen my kids.
Hell, boy, they hear that Tennesee accent of your and just assume that as a good ol' boy you've got about a dozen guns lyin' 'roun'. Prolly guarded by a coon dog. [wink][smile]

My son's pediatrician asked about gun ownership and storage, we moved on after the third "it's none of your business" answer.

"You hold a state medical license. I hold eight state and federal firearms licenses and both state and national firearm instructor certifications. Would you like me to start questioning you about your competence or shall you stop questioning mine?"

Also, be aware that there is a sheet of questions going around that some doctors are giving to children to fill out WITHOUT the parent present that not only asks about firearms, but also asks things like "does your mommy or daddy make you upset at times?"

My advice is to NEVER allow a medical professional to ever be with your child without you present. PERIOD.

We've discussed this thousands of times on this forum and every other one out there.

The AMA and MA equivalent provide all their doctors with "medical questionnaires" that ask these questions amongst others (for ~ the last 20 years). We have no children but it's on the forms for our medical history every time . . . both of us just leave it blank and nothing is made of it by any doctor, nurse, clerical person that we've ever dealt with.

My children's Dr. gives us a nice 3 page sheet on all types of different things that relate to their development.

My wife used to point out the one on my son's that would say "Matthew should not have access to or be allowed to handle firearms at all"

Guess I shouldn't show him this...

or maybe I should show him this [wink]

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/1540/giveaf***ometerzs3.gif

This must be some MA thing. My daughter was born in NC, and now we live in NH. I've never seen such a question ever asked. I've had all the normal ones: Do you use a car seat, is it installed properly, do you have water heater regulators etc??? But never that question.

I don't really object to it. People on this website seem (for the most part [wink] to be sane). We all know how to protect our kids from our guns (safe storage, training etc). However, there are a LOT of dumbasses out there that probably think it's perfectly fine to let their 2 year old walk around with their loaded Glock. While I'm normally happy to let Darwin do his job, I even draw the line at a kid.

I go shooting with my kids Pediatrician ................. oddly, he's never asked the gun question.

As far as feeling safe in my home, I would feel safer if the boy had the combination to the safe, but being the "responsible parent" I won't give it to him until he gets his FID, or LTC.

Last edited:

Yup. Got the same thing. I told her to look at my (broken) arm and "you tell me", after which she clarified it a bit.

Once at one of my daughters physicals they asked her if she knew not to touch a gun if she ever found one. ...

I wonder what the Pediatric Association would think if they ask about your kid's health at the next NES shoot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom