• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Bushmaster - Thoughts?

They're two different types. My rail is made extremely well and for $45 the UTG was fine for my M&P sport. It's held up excellent for over a year. It does scratch kind of easily but I could give a shit.

I think the scratching is a bonus. It's easier to look used.

I have a launcher on it and it does great. When someone said it was airsoft I was shocked. Every other two piece I've seen just pops in and this one is screwed together. If my life depended on it and it was between the $100+ hand rail I had before and this half the price UTG set-up I'm going with the UTG all freak'n day long!

So what do the expert opinions say about Windham Weaponry ?

My personal one is a Windham Weaponry and my wife has the M&P. I've needed the forward assist on the WW once (and it was my fault, lol). It has never failed and felt better than the Colt variant, although I do want to get a Colt at some point. The M&P definitely doesn't feel as solid, but it performs on par with the big boys and just has some quirks. I'd go to war with either of them.

I think the scratching is a bonus. It's easier to look used.

I have a launcher on it and it does great. When someone said it was airsoft I was shocked. Every other two piece I've seen just pops in and this one is screwed together. If my life depended on it and it was between the $100+ hand rail I had before and this half the price UTG set-up I'm going with the UTG all freak'n day long!

My personal one is a Windham Weaponry and my wife has the M&P. I've needed the forward assist on the WW once (and it was my fault, lol). It has never failed and felt better than the Colt variant, although I do want to get a Colt at some point. The M&P definitely doesn't feel as solid, but it performs on par with the big boys and just has some quirks. I'd go to war with either of them.

I really like my S&W M&P. The only issue I have is the carbine gas system on a 16" barrel, but it's never given me problems... For my next AR build, I will probably go with a Bravo Company just because they make great rifles and have always done me a solid for every part I've bought from them. They have a great reputation for a boutique manufacturer.

I really like my S&W M&P. The only issue I have is the carbine gas system on a 16" barrel, but it's never given me problems... For my next AR build, I will probably go with a Bravo Company just because they make great rifles and have always done me a solid for every part I've bought from them. They have a great reputation for a boutique manufacturer.
I did recently get an M&P15 as well. I enjoy shooting it.

Also, thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm jumping in this thread because I JUST bought my first AR... a S&W M&P15 Sport, and I'm so excited that I had to tell someone. I'm sure some people look down on the Sport model because it doesn't have the forward assist or dust cover, but for my needs, I think it's going to be great. Besides, I can use some of the money I saved for more ammo and actually shoot it a bunch.

My plan is... instead of tacti-cooling it out right out of the gate, I'll take it to the range and put a bunch of rounds through it with the BUIS, and then evaluate what I want to add. I'll probably eventually get a red dot or holographic sight for it, but I don't think I need much else. I prefer a pistol for HD, so I don't know that I'll add lights / lasers / heat-seeking missle launcher.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my happiness! Last December, I had originally planned to buy an AR right after Christmas and then Newtown happened and they were nowhere to be found. I'm glad things have calmed down a tiny bit and AR's are starting to get back into stock.

Unless your hunting with it a dust cover not a big deal.... Think of how many guns don't have them .....

I still don't know what the forward assist is for / when you use it lol.

For 99% of the people does it go bang every time and hold good groups is all that matters

Unless your hunting with it a dust cover not a big deal.... Think of how many guns don't have them .....

For 99% of the people does it go bang every time and hold good groups is all that matters
Totally agree. Get what you need and learn how to use it properly. That's the key!

I'm jumping in this thread because I JUST bought my first AR... a S&W M&P15 Sport, and I'm so excited that I had to tell someone. I'm sure some people look down on the Sport model because it doesn't have the forward assist or dust cover, but for my needs, I think it's going to be great. Besides, I can use some of the money I saved for more ammo and actually shoot it a bunch.

My plan is... instead of tacti-cooling it out right out of the gate, I'll take it to the range and put a bunch of rounds through it with the BUIS, and then evaluate what I want to add. I'll probably eventually get a red dot or holographic sight for it, but I don't think I need much else. I prefer a pistol for HD, so I don't know that I'll add lights / lasers / heat-seeking missle launcher.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my happiness! Last December, I had originally planned to buy an AR right after Christmas and then Newtown happened and they were nowhere to be found. I'm glad things have calmed down a tiny bit and AR's are starting to get back into stock.

congrats! I just built an AR without dustcover or forward assist, because.... I like it. Shoot what you like. It's good to learn to shoot it bare bones first. Shoot from bench, off-hand, prone, and moving. Just get comfortable. As far as gear goes... you'll go crazy putting crap on it because it's fun, then that will get old, and you'll find what is light and practical.

congrats! I just built an AR without dustcover or forward assist, because.... I like it. Shoot what you like. It's good to learn to shoot it bare bones first. Shoot from bench, off-hand, prone, and moving. Just get comfortable. As far as gear goes... you'll go crazy putting crap on it because it's fun, then that will get old, and you'll find what is light and practical.
That crazy gear stage is what I'm currently in [crying]

The forward assist would be used if there is a problem with the bolt going fully into battery, ie: under dirty conditions(very unlikely encountered other than in a field combat situation) or if there might be a ding or dent in a round and it doesn't want to chamber fully, sometimes a little persuasion with the forward assist will seat it properly and the gun will function.
If you fire clean, good condition ammo, you'll likely never use the forward assist on an AR, but it helps to know what its for.

Thanks I new it forced the bolt forward.
But I've been told if you need to use it your better off not lol.

Not nocking the mini 14 my dad got one , and I found a bunch of hi cap mags in the random junk bin at ktp when he was buying it. 10$ per lol.

The M&P15 Sport is fine for range plinking, home defense or as your first AR. It is lacking a few things: a dust cover which is good for field use, a forward assist to fully seat the bolt when necessary. A chrome or melanite coating to increase barrel life. Lastly, I prefer not to have an A2 sight post as it interferes with optic use. Folding BUIS are much better in that regard. All of that doesn't stop it from going bang when you pull the trigger (unless the bolt isn't fully seated and you have no forward assist [smile]), but makes for a good entry level price point. When you're ready to upgrade, you can always use the lower and build/buy a new upper that fits your needs.

Last edited:
Fully agree, you could always pull the charging Handel back and let it slam its way home .

I shot colddayinhell with a scope and I didn't even notice the front sight .

If you're using a magnified scope on an AR, chances are the mount is high enough where the front sight post won't interfere. Anything where the front sight would co-witness is a problem... namely red dots or holographics. Personal preference really... don't want anything interfering with my sight picture.

If you're using a magnified scope on an AR, chances are the mount is high enough where the front sight post won't interfere. Anything where the front sight would co-witness is a problem... namely red dots or holographics. Personal preference really... don't want anything interfering with my sight picture.
Yea..my PEPR mount for my Burris gets the scope pretty damn high - which is fine. I can always adjust the scope's vertical.

Except when told to perform SPORTS I don't think I've ever used the forward assist. I have other military styled rifles and the don't have dust covers or forward assist. They're not necessary.

Bushmaster:

2012-02-28_16-24-49_893.jpg

2012-02-28_16-25-44_39.jpg

That's MY hand in those pictures... not taken from some other forum somewhere. I'm all set with Bushmaster. Just my .02

Last edited:
Bushmaster:

That's MY hand in those pictures... not taken from some other forum somewhere. I'm all set with Bushmaster. Just my .02

A quick google search brings up examples of this happening to RRA, Colt, M&P, and several more where the manufacturer isn't mentioned. In all cases the ammo was to blame, whether hot loads or squibs.

I'd like to know more about your particular incident.

Bushmaster:

WOW!!!

I can assure you with 1000% certainty that the results in your pictures had nothing to do with the gun being a Bushmaster, it was an ammo problem and would have done the same thing in any brand of AR.

Who's ammo were you firing? Reloads or factory? Did you have a squib and not notice it and chamber and fire another cartridge behind it?

Be sure you understand that it was an ammo problem or you are destined to do the very same thing with another rifle.

Are you sure it isnt a Glock ?

And yes, would love to know the back story there.

What did the shooter do wrong , that would cause that catastrophic malfunction ?
And what is the reasoning implied that it wouldnt have happened with a different make ?

Just sold my BM XM-15, It doesn't like reloads, they jam, just plain old freeze up, locked in the chamber. My reloads work in my Colt's, RRA, My BCM 10.5, but nooooo, not BM. Go look in the owners manual and there it says, " do not use reloads " F*** em, took the money and picked up a CZ 75.
I like wiggle room in my chamber, just like my women.

Just sold my BM XM-15, It doesn't like reloads, they jam, just plain old freeze up, locked in the chamber. My reloads work in my Colt's, RRA, My BCM 10.5, but nooooo, not BM. Go look in the owners manual and there it says, " do not use reloads " F*** em, took the money and picked up a CZ 75.
I like wiggle room in my chamber, just like my women.

This happened with my Stag i had except with factory ammo. I solved the problem by getting a Daniel Defense.

It absolutely was ammo related... and no fault of the operator, either. Fortunately he was ok. Overpressure round, bolt didn't unlock, gas returned into the upper with no where to go (because the bolt didn't unlock) and blew up the gun.

It obviously blew out the bottom of the magazine and upon further inspection, you could reload the ammo in the order they were originally loaded in the magazine... flattest, most square on top, round on the bottom.
2012-02-28_16-25-06_922.jpg

2012-02-28_16-25-36_971.jpg

I'm not necessarily blaming Bushmaster and this case isn't the reason I'm not a fan. It can obviously happen to any brand as, in the end, they're all PRETTY much the same. Bushmaster is fine, in my eyes, for the range, plinking, etc. but I would prefer not to need to trust my life to it. That said, prior to the pictures above, that gun functioned flawlessly for years and years - "Run whatcha brung" so to speak.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom