My very first cleaning

So, I got my 9fFS home and a friend suggested I clean it first thing. Ok..so I broke her down and did the best I could. When I took my class, I heard one thing with regard to lightly oiling the barrel. Other people I've talked to don't recommend this.

Can you all provide a newb with pros and cons of putting a light coating of oil down the bore? Being a logical person, I would think this is bad in that it would tend to attract more residue.

Based on my reading here, it is typical for the gun to have been test fired at the factory. So, I was not surprised when I ran my first patch through the barrel, it came out greyish black. Normal, right?

...and here is a pic of my friend broken down.
054.JPG

Last edited:
You can leave a thin (very thin) oil film on the bore for storage. But MAKE SURE to dry the bore before using the firearm.

Since oil is an incompressible fluid, you could create an overpressure condition in the chamber when you fire the first round.

How much is too much? No one knows for sure, so the answer is: any.

Yeah, unless you are storing it for a period of time and not carrying it, don't oil the bore. If you are putting it in the safe for some time, lightly oil it, but remove the oil prior to discharging (as Jose said).

Nice gun.

Funny, a National USPSA Champion was having trouble making power factor at a major match. What did he do? He oiled the hell out of the barrel and made it. When I say he oiled the hell out of it, he pulled the barrel and dumped oil. He made the velocity he needed. So, why is it so dangerous to run a lightly oiled patch down the bore as a final treatment? I have been shooting guns, cleaning guns, and LIGHTLY oiling them for nearly 40 years. Guess I was wrong all that time [wink]

After cleaning, I always run a patch with oil and then one or two more patches until they come out just about dry. I've done this to all my guns and haven't had an issue yet.

Funny, a National USPSA Champion was having trouble making power factor at a major match. What did he do? He oiled the hell out of the barrel and made it. When I say he oiled the hell out of it, he pulled the barrel and dumped oil. He made the velocity he needed. So, why is it so dangerous to run a lightly oiled patch down the bore as a final treatment? I have been shooting guns, cleaning guns, and LIGHTLY oiling them for nearly 40 years. Guess I was wrong all that time [wink]

I'd say that it's a judgement call, WRT the oil in the bore. I think that we can all agree that a heavy layer of oil could cause problems....but where is the dividing line between "light" and "heavy"? if you're not sure ( the OP being new to the game) it's easier to have a simple "NO OIL" rule.

Kind of like "no substitutions" when starting reloading. When you're in the National championships, you can fudge the details.

So, I got my 9fFS home and a friend suggested I clean it first thing. Ok..so I broke her down and did the best I could. When I took my class, I heard one thing with regard to lightly oiling the barrel. Other people I've talked to don't recommend this.

Can you all provide a newb with pros and cons of putting a light coating of oil down the bore? Being a logical person, I would think this is bad in that it would tend to attract more residue.

Based on my reading here, it is typical for the gun to have been test fired at the factory. So, I was not surprised when I ran my first patch through the barrel, it came out greyish black. Normal, right?

...and here is a pic of my friend broken down.

Did you get a chance to shoot it yet? I picked one up yesterday (normal finish) and love the way it shoots.

Did you get a chance to shoot it yet? I picked one up yesterday (normal finish) and love the way it shoots.

Not yet...getting over a cold. Plus, I am not a member of any clubs yet and so I don't have any places I can shoot. My boss and her husband belong to the Acton Gun Club and live literally across the street from the range. Bummer part is, they are on vacation until a week from Tuesday.

Can I take my gun to Manchester if I don't have a NH non-res LTC?

Competitive shooting is one thing (although I feel it is never OK to dump large amounts of oil down your bore), but if this is a CCW or home defense gun... NEVER.

Back
Top Bottom