Need a good boston compliant rifle... Is m1a the best ?

Has anyone ever actually been prosecuted under the Boston AWB?

-Mike

Glidden once told me that he discussed this with Boston's General Counsel, who told him that he was unaware that anyone ever had been charged with violating this bylaw.

Yep. stairs to the right when you come in. I wouldn't have seen it at all if somebody up there wasn't talking to one of the guys behind the counter. I like the atmosphere in that place.

Nice people and very nice shop. One can find some interesting stuff there if you look carefully.

Glidden once told me that he discussed this with Boston's General Counsel, who told him that he was unaware that anyone ever had been charged with violating this bylaw.

That's interesting, because you know the opportunity for them to prosecute under it has to have come up a hundred times.

-Dorchester may have occasional crime, but that doesn't mean it's still the ghetto. Mattapan is the ghetto, for example. Yes, it'll take more time for Dorchester to be a "nice" neighborhood, but that doesn't make it the ghetto.

-I've been in the sand quite a bit, don't worry. All you're doing is throwing out rumors and internet BS. The fact is that 5.56mm has reliable lethal wound cavities at and above 2500 ft/sec. It's a simple matter of picking the appropriate barrel length for your needs. No, a 10.5" barrel won't be very good for battle rifle distances. For those distances there are SDMs, crew serveds and Mk-48s. But a 10.5"-11.5" in 5.56mm is quite lethal for urban combat.

-Shotguns make a lot of noise and kick, but they're just simply not good for apartment defense. They're long, slow to aim in the tight confines of a city apartment, and slow for follow up shots. Plus, their supposed advantage of "not having to aim" is complete malarkey. Oh, and please quantify "not many people survive shotgun blasts within 50 feet". What percentage? Where are these hits? Are we talking about all pellets hitting the torso or head? Or are we talking about if any of the pellets hit the person. Basically, I call BS on your claim there.

Serious question... do you even own a 12 gauge? Or have you ever shot anything with 00 buck, or slugs out of one? I agree with you on the general myth of "not having to aim", but with 00 buck as long as you are within a foot of someone's torso, you will likely hit them with at least one or more pellets, and within the confines of an apartment, I really don't see "how" you could miss anyway. I own a lot of rifles in different calibers, but when I really am in the mood to destroy shit at the range, I bring my Saiga 12 because my rifles put holes in stuff, but that bad mofo DESTROYS stuff!

Serious question... do you even own a 12 gauge? Or have you ever shot anything with 00 buck, or slugs out of one? I agree with you on the general myth of "not having to aim", but with 00 buck as long as you are within a foot of someone's torso, you will likely hit them with at least one or more pellets, and within the confines of an apartment, I really don't see "how" you could miss anyway. I own a lot of rifles in different calibers, but when I really am in the mood to destroy shit at the range, I bring my Saiga 12 because my rifles put holes in stuff, but that bad mofo DESTROYS stuff!

Yes I do [wink]

And yeah, if you hit someone with most of the pellets in 00 buck, in a vital area, within the distance of an apartment, I agree that they're likely to die. But, that's assuming you hit them with most of the pellets, and within a vital area. Of course, this is all assuming that one can actually manage to bring up the 18"+ barrel in a narrow hallway or around a tight corner before the intruder prevents one from accurately firing. No city apartment that I've lived in has been a suitable setup for shotgun use. Now, if it's an open floor plan, then I acknowledge the shotgun is good to go.

Really, I just wanted to point out that his statement of "not many people survive shotgun blasts within 50 feet" was incredibly broad and not based on any actual statistical data. It was just basic internet/gun-store talk like other things he has said.

Its a stupid city bylaw. WGAF?

Heh, pretty much. Disclaimer: I do not advocate illegal activity.

Last edited:
Yes I do [wink]

And yeah, if you hit someone with most of the pellets in 00 buck, in a vital area, within the distance of an apartment, I agree that they're likely to die. But, that's assuming you hit them with most of the pellets, and within a vital area. Of course, this is all assuming that one can actually manage to bring up the 18"+ barrel in a narrow hallway or around a tight corner before the intruder prevents one from accurately firing. No city apartment that I've lived in has been a suitable setup for shotgun use. Now, if it's an open floor plan, then I acknowledge the shotgun is good to go.

Really, I just wanted to point out that his statement of "not many people survive shotgun blasts within 50 feet" was incredibly broad and not based on any actual statistical data. It was just basic internet/gun-store talk like other things he has said.

An 18 inch barrel on a shotgun with no stock and a pistol grip only is pretty maneuverable. Within the distances of an apartment, I think shooting from the hip is pretty reasonable, supposing you have a little bit of practice.

Yes I do [wink]

Thanks for clarifying. I agree that an 18" barrel can be unwieldy in CQB, but that is where something like a Keltec KSG would really shine. Very compact AND high capacity. One of the first things I plan to do when I leave this godforsaken state is to SBS my S-12, and put a side folding stock on it to make it more compact for CQB type environments and "just because"...[laugh]

An 18 inch barrel on a shotgun with no stock and a pistol grip only is pretty maneuverable. Within the distances of an apartment, I think shooting from the hip is pretty reasonable, supposing you have a little bit of practice.

You are either very strong or have not shot a pistol grip shotgun with buck loads very much. They are for show but not for go

Yep. stairs to the right when you come in. I wouldn't have seen it at all if somebody up there wasn't talking to one of the guys behind the counter. I like the atmosphere in that place.

That's where all the good stuff is! Powder, primers, all manner of long guns and milsurps. Definitely good stuff to be found there and don't be afraid to make an offer on something used.

That's where all the good stuff is! Powder, primers, all manner of long guns and milsurps. Definitely good stuff to be found there and don't be afraid to make an offer on something used.

Now powder up there as of last Thursday, unfortunately.

I can't tell you how many Boston residents I know who never got their special BPD AW license or disposed of their AWs. Probably 90 percent of AW owners in the city ignored the implementation of the bylaw and BPD pretty much ignored it too. The moonbats felt better and eveyone pretty much went on their way.

Last edited:
I can't tell you how many Boston residents I know who never got their special BPD AW license or disposed of their AWs. Probably 90 percent of AW owners in the city ignored the implementation of the bylaw and BPD pretty much ignored it too. The moonbats felt better and eveyone pretty much went on their way.

I actually met a fellow who got one of the BPD AW licenses. One of very few, I suspect.

Wish the FFLs had the same attitude

Are you saying that there are FFLs who won't sell an "assault weapon" as defined by Boston, to LTC holders with a Boston address listed? That's crazy. Do they not realize people can own and store weapons at locations other than their listed home address?

Are you saying that there are FFLs who won't sell an "assault weapon" as defined by Boston, to LTC holders with a Boston address listed? That's crazy. Do they not realize people can own and store weapons at locations other than their listed home address?

Yes, there are.

I'm guessing that you have no clue about the rules that FFLs are obligated to abide by?

FFLs are legally obligated (law or regulation) to ensure that the transaction is legal where it occurs AND that the buyer is LEGAL to POSSESS that particular gun wherever they LIVE! So if they live in Boston, the FFL can get in a world of hurt selling an AR to that person.

You are right that they can store it outside the city limits, but that doesn't change the laws/regs wrt transfers thru an FFL.

You are either very strong or have not shot a pistol grip shotgun with buck loads very much. They are for show but not for go

not that bad really. My wife trains with them all the time and she's no tough guy! only2 3/4 shells. no you cant shoot 2 or 4 per sec but its an effective hallway or staircase deterrent

FFLs are legally obligated (law or regulation) to ensure that the transaction is legal where it occurs AND that the buyer is LEGAL to POSSESS that particular gun wherever they LIVE! So if they live in Boston, the FFL can get in a world of hurt selling an AR to that person.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that stipulation. Thanks.

Last edited:

not that bad really. My wife trains with them all the time and she's no tough guy! only2 3/4 shells. no you cant shoot 2 or 4 per sec but its an effective hallway or staircase deterrent

I like to think I'm not weak, and I've shot a mossy 500 with the tactical get up pistol grip only, 2 3/4 and 3 inch buck loads with some success. I am talking just center mass hits to a human size target at 5-10 yards or so. I wouldn't expect needing to expend the entire tube in a home defense scenario, more like just a couple.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I agree. A pistol gripped shotty is nowhere near an accuracy device, but is very maneuverable in tight quarters and good for the range it is intended for - up close and personal. I don't personally own a PG shotty, but have shot my S-12 many times from the hip, or otherwise unshouldered mainly to test reliability and have no problems doing so and hitting what I'm aiming at.

yeh i have a friend who will store my ak for me for the next few years out in western ma .. but it would be nice to have a go rifle at my place of residence

I started reading thru this thread - and it seemed to me that you hadn't really defined WHY you were looking for a rifle that met the letter of the Boston AWB.

Since the above response - seems to have defined it, then my suggestion would be to go talk to Shuff's Parkerizing - and get Mini-G Garand.

I don't believe the Garand is banned under the Boston AWB - it doesn't meet most definitions of a " high capacity assault weapon". You can get a Mini-G in .308 (7.62x51) - so you wouldn't have to deal with hunting down 30.06 which is getting rarer and rarer - and the Mini-G is SHORT - so it would do you well in an urban situation, which seems to be what you're looking for.

The only downside to a Garand is that it's only 8 rounds at a time, but the fact that you could just leave the Enbloc clips behind in a real combat situation - rather than being worried about picking up your precious mags - is an advantage. Plus an 8-round Enbloc - is only two rounds less than the MA compliant 10 round mags - and FAR cheaper.

You can get 20 rounds pre-ban mags for M1A's - which I think would be compliant in Boston if you were to go the M1A route. But they're expensive and not exactly easy to come across.

Another reason to get one...... it's just cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom