Need general info on Mass Corrections officer field

I took the Civil service exam a year or so ago and withdrew my name a couple times due to work as a Union bricklayer was doing great. Due to the struggling economy and lack of commercial construction throughout the Boston area, I'm considering a change of career. being laid off for 5 months, working for 5 weeks, layed off for another week and now on a small job at Northeastern for a week, is killing me. Normally, I go back to work in March and go through until Dec or Jan.

MCI Norfolk sent me a postcard asking if I'm still interested in a position in Corrections. Ever since my discharge from service in 1998, I've always wanted a job in either law enforcement or civil service in general.

My question(s) to you all is, should I pursue it?
Would it be beneficial in the long run?
What is the starting pay? and is there overtime? I'm always put on hold when trying to call so I can never get any answers.
I can still keep my Union book open if I dont feel it's up to par. I'm vested so no matter what, I'll still get a retirement from them

I think you all see the point I'm trying to get at. Any info would be great.

thanks, Matt

I worked for the Department of Corrections. It is the sewer of the criminal justice system. The experience will not help you anywhere. You will be looked down upon by other agencies.

They've been trying to get called "correction officers" for years, but they will always be known as guards. It is dirty, filthy work. If the inmates don't get you, the politically motivated administration will.

If you are interested in Criminal Justice look towards a large police department, or a federal law enforcement agency. And look outside of Massachusetts.

Sorry to offend anybody who is with the DOC here. You have courage and guts, but the truth is the truth, and this man needs an honest response.

My wife's cousin was a corrections officer in the Boston jail next to the Boston Garden. He hated it. He told me that he was spit on by the prisoners all the time, always felt out numbered, worked long hours and didn't get much support from his superiors. When an inmate complained about a guard, they would typically believe the inmate over the guard. He did it for several years and kept trying to get a job as a town officer. He was finally able to get out and is now employed in a local town and couldn't be happier. Figures he had to put his time in that shithole to get the job he has now. He was an MP in the Army in Afganistan as well. I bet that helped him a lot as well.

My company has completed over 100 yearly contracts for the DOC and County jails in the last 32 years.

I have been in almost every facuilty in the State, Norfolk, Walpole, Concord, Framingham, Bridgewater, 22 years in county jails and the list go's on and on.

I can't complain because we made fantastic money but we finally had to give it up because we just got so sick and tired of the shit. No matter who you are inside those walls it's bad.

The guards have a very dangerous job and are actually doing hard time too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom