NES Amateur Radio (HAM) Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm game. I have a late appointment so I won't be home until after 8. ( 01:00 UTC) :)
I'm also gong to try and check in to one of the nets tonight at 10pm.

We could try about 9? You and Martlet might be a little too close to each other for 75 meters, but you might be able to work groundwave. I tried working Martlet a few days ago but it was to early for NVIS to work. But that's what ham radio's about -- trying things just to see if you can do it. If all else fails, I'll rig something up and hop on the Waltham machine.

So 2 days ago I asked one of the engineers here at work if he know where I could get a 2 meter SWR locally. He's an Extra so I figured he might know of a place. He said he'd get back to me. Yesterday I mailed out a book of mine to someone on the forum on my dime just because I figured he'd enjoy it. I got into work this morning and found a MFJ SWR meter sitting on my desk along with a bag full of PL-259 and SO-239 connectors and a note that says "good luck with your antenna build, let me know how it works out." Karma, man, it's real.

So 2 days ago I asked one of the engineers here at work if he know where I could get a 2 meter SWR locally. He's an Extra so I figured he might know of a place. He said he'd get back to me. Yesterday I mailed out a book of mine to someone on the forum on my dime just because I figured he'd enjoy it. I got into work this morning and found a MFJ SWR meter sitting on my desk along with a bag full of PL-259 and SO-239 connectors and a note that says "good luck with your antenna build, let me know how it works out." Karma, man, it's real.

That kicks ass....I've been looking for an SWR as well. I found one at Radio Shack..but I think that's it HF. I will get one soon...tomorrow I order the 8800. I can't wait.

I was looking at that Radio Shack one. It says it's for CB as well, which is 11 meter, so I'm guessing it would only work down in the HF bands. Good luck with the 8800. I am feeling very conflicted these days as I'm torn between saving for new guns and saving for new radios. If anyone wants to karma me several thousand bucks so I can just buy it all, I'd be most appreciative [smile].

Last edited:
We could try about 9? You and Martlet might be a little too close to each other for 75 meters, but you might be able to work groundwave. I tried working Martlet a few days ago but it was to early for NVIS to work. But that's what ham radio's about -- trying things just to see if you can do it. If all else fails, I'll rig something up and hop on the Waltham machine.

Sounds good. I caught someone in Lynnfield last night on 160 but we could barely hear each other. Maybe too close??
I'll be on tonight by 9 for sure.
I'm not sure if I can hit Paxton. It's about 30 miles as the crow flies. I'll have to check my 2m/440 rig because I think I currently have is set on low power.

ETA I have an old Radio Shack SWR meter which I used for CB back in the day. I'm thinking/hoping it'll work for HF

Sounds good. I caught someone in Lynnfield last night on 160 but we could barely hear each other. Maybe too close??
I'm not sure if I can hit Paxton. It's about 30 miles as the crow flies. I'll have to check my 2m/440 rig because I think I currently have is set on low power.

ETA I have an old Radio Shack SWR meter which I used for CB back in the day. I'm thinking/hoping it'll work for HF

Yeah, Lynnfield would be pretty close for you, especially on 160 meters. The frequency is way too low for reliable NVIS communication as well. Do you have 60 meter capability? I've never used it, but we could try there if we have bad luck on 75 for the same reason -- there might be too much atmospheric absorption on 75, so you bump your frequency up -- so we could try 60 meters as well. It would be an interesting experiment anyway to see the difference in signal levels. Will PM around 9PM.

Yeah, Lynnfield would be pretty close for you, especially on 160 meters. The frequency is way too low for reliable NVIS communication as well. Do you have 60 meter capability? I've never used it, but we could try there if we have bad luck on 75 for the same reason -- there might be too much atmospheric absorption on 75, so you bump your frequency up -- so we could try 60 meters as well. It would be an interesting experiment anyway to see the difference in signal levels. Will PM around 9PM.

I do have 60 although I'm not sure how to tune the specific frequencies on that band. I'll check the book today.
I have 160m through 6m so whatever you think would be best.

The more and more I am reading this thread the more interested I am.... would love to see a setup up and close and understand how it works in person.
I can start out reading more - any ABC type books to get me started?
If anyone is interested in helping someone get into the loop I am in Haverhill, MA area.

The more and more I am reading this thread the more interested I am.... would love to see a setup up and close and understand how it works in person.
If anyone is interested in helping someone get into the loop I am in Haverhill, MA area.

If you wanted to come to southern NH, I could do a demo for you. My radio shack is a bit of a mess though as I've spent more time reloading and shooting lately, rather than doing much radio operating. Which reminds me, my 160/80 meter antenna needs to be put back up.

But I can operate easily on 10, 15 and 20 meters, also show you a repeater (both from the repeater's point of view as well as from a user's point of view) as well as Echolink, SSTV, psk31, etc.

We can try Paxton...I can hit that pretty well from home. What's close to you that's in the middle of everyone? Maybe Waltham? Westford? I'm game..

What net are you going to hit at 10? The Heavy Hitters?

Paxton works for me.

I can hit just about every 2 meter repeater in MA other than points east of Sudbury.
Though I've found that the problem isn't so much of me reaching the repeater, as the repeater reaching ME.[laugh] I have 70watts output power and an elivation of about 1200ft above sea level.

I was looking at that Radio Shack one. It says it's for CB as well, which is 11 meter, so I'm guessing it would only work down in the HF bands. Good luck with the 8800. I am feeling very conflicted these days as I'm torn between saving for new guns and saving for new radios. If anyone wants to karma me several thousand bucks so I can just buy it all, I'd be most appreciative [smile].

Yea, I'm also worried about quality with that one... I need to get me a good one...I want the Yeasu, but it's hard to fine. I might end up getting a Diamond.

I'm pretty far from Paxton....I want to say about the same..I can hit it on 5 watts from North Attleboro and I hear that I come in VERY clear. Mapquest's got me listed at 50 miles...but that's not a straight shot..

Paxton works for me.

I can hit just about every 2 meter repeater in MA other than points east of Sudbury.
Though I've found that the problem isn't so much of me reaching the repeater, as the repeater reaching ME.[laugh] I have 70watts output power and an elivation of about 1200ft above sea level.

So, let's all give it a shot. What time do you guys want to try? I think that the Paxton repeater has a net every night at 8 pm...so we can tune in and talk after it's over???

I don't have much...but if you want to come down to North Attleboro I'll show you what I have...but I would take R1CH up on his offer...he'll have more to show.

Yea, I'm also worried about quality with that one... I need to get me a good one...I want the Yeasu, but it's hard to fine. I might end up getting a Diamond.

I'm pretty far from Paxton....I want to say about the same..I can hit it on 5 watts from North Attleboro and I hear that I come in VERY clear. Mapquest's got me listed at 50 miles...but that's not a straight shot..

So, let's all give it a shot. What time do you guys want to try? I think that the Paxton repeater has a net every night at 8 pm...so we can tune in and talk after it's over???

Yeah, after the net works for me.

While I'm waiting...I have a question... My radio goes through these waves of clarity and noise. I'll be talking and everything is clear as a bell...then like someone fliped a switch...I get all this static over the voice...then, like a switch it's clear again...

IS this normal? I don't get it on my HT...I wonder if it's the connections or if it's just what's going on in the air outside...

I just jumped off the Attleboro net...and I need to get things ready for bed....so where I thought that I was going to get back on...I'm not. I'll talk all night if I do. Tomorrow night I'm taking the wife out for her Birthday...so I won't be on the radio...but we can shoot for Saturday night possibly.

It was good talking to Realitor and Turbo... We need to get more people on at a time...that was a lot of fun!

I just jumped off the Attleboro net...and I need to get things ready for bed....so where I thought that I was going to get back on...I'm not. I'll talk all night if I do. Tomorrow night I'm taking the wife out for her Birthday...so I won't be on the radio...but we can shoot for Saturday night possibly.

It was good talking to Realitor and Turbo... We need to get more people on at a time...that was a lot of fun!

Same here, it was nice to chat with you guys. I never knew I could reach the Waltham repeater. Learned somethin.

Same here! I'll be installing an outdoor antenna this weekend if it's warm enough. That way I'll be able to reach Paxton

While I'm waiting...I have a question... My radio goes through these waves of clarity and noise. I'll be talking and everything is clear as a bell...then like someone fliped a switch...I get all this static over the voice...then, like a switch it's clear again...

IS this normal? I don't get it on my HT...I wonder if it's the connections or if it's just what's going on in the air outside...

It could be something turning on in your house. Like a microwave, hair dryer, etc.

/John

For you newly minted Hams, the following callsigns have been vacated and are available through the Vanity call program.

K1NES, N1NES, WA1NES, WB1NES, KA1NES and W1NES.
This last one would be great for someone in the liquor business [wink]

I think that's a great idea.
Grab W1NES for the club.
I can get some decals made up that'll say "W1NES Radio Club".
It's a great call for an individual, especially a wine merchant, but the lightning bolt screws it up for a Mass. Plate.
As a Club Call, we can all enjoy it on Field Days, and it's a call that other contacts will smile at and remember when they write it in the log. [wink]

What about A2NES....that would be a great one also! (Amendment 2 NES)

/John

Well, you've sold me... I'm going to get the 8800. I guess the only thing is that if you need to change freq, you'll have to walk back to your car...but that's not that big of a deal.

I'll order it next Friday...now it's just finding the best deal.

One other thing that you should know about crossbanding..... if you crossband into a repeater, you will not be able to talk until the repeater completely stops transmitting. This is fine for repeaters that have short tails, but long tailed repeaters will be a bitch because they can go for a while before someone lets the tail completely drop.

/John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom