NES Amateur Radio (HAM) Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one did you buy? The Yaesu 8800?

You should have jumped in. Guns are a popular subject on .075, I think more than half the regulars on there are gun owners.

Got the 7900 at Ham Radio Outlet yesterday. I figure that will do the trick for now. Listening to 449.075 right now.

Question about continuity in an antenna cable...

What could be the issues if it beeps when you check? I was given an antenna cable...it's the one that I'm using at my house. When we did the SWR checks, it worked great. No issues...

But, my buddy came over and said that we should check the continutiy. It beeped.

So, is that an issue? It doesn't seem to be causing any issues with my signal, people hear be very well and I can hear them. But I'm still green and wonder if I should cut off the connectors and start over??

Question about continuity in an antenna cable...

What could be the issues if it beeps when you check? I was given an antenna cable...it's the one that I'm using at my house. When we did the SWR checks, it worked great. No issues...

But, my buddy came over and said that we should check the continutiy. It beeped.

So, is that an issue? It doesn't seem to be causing any issues with my signal, people hear be very well and I can hear them. But I'm still green and wonder if I should cut off the connectors and start over??

If the antenna is connected to the coax, a beep may be normal, if it uses a loading coil or whatever that makes it look like an electrical short to a continuity tester. The coax itself (disconnected on both ends) shouldn't beep, though, from shield to center pin!

-Mike

If the antenna is connected to the coax, a beep may be normal, if it uses a loading coil or whatever that makes it look like an electrical short to a continuity tester. The coax itself (disconnected on both ends) shouldn't beep, though, from shield to center pin!

-Mike

What he said.

-Mike

What he said.

Ok, I feel much better...it was connected to the antenna.

Trip Report: Tech-in-a-Day Class

Everyone from NES that attended passed Tech and failed miserably at the free attempt at General!

Not so[smile]. Here's my Trip Report

Cost was $20. This included the FCC's $15 test fee. I assume the $5 barely covered the cost of the printed study book, rental of the community center and the snacks. A great deal!

About 40 attendees including 4 kids ages 14, 11, 11, 9 (my son Allan was one of the 11 year olds!!!). I've only lived in MA for 3 months so I haven't had the pleasure of meeting NES members until now. BobJ and I were at one table. HardJeepGuy, MrTwig and 2 others who I didn't get the opportunity to meet were all at another table.

The format was simple: study the pool of questions and only the correct answer, as that will make it jump out at you when taking the test. We were told to not wory about the theory: that's for another day. In 6 one hr. sessions we did silent study for 45minutes then took 15 minutes to get the blood flowing. Each session had a specific group of questions to study. This worked quite well.

They kept us well supplied with doughnuts, baegals, coffee, sodas, water, cookies and chips. Lunch was a 1:15hr break where we headed out to various local eateries.

Sign-in ended at about 8:40 and we got a 20 minute intro and pep-talk. The handout included was the entire Tech question pool, with the correct answers in bold plus a frequency band chart, and some useful power and freq/wavelength equations, all nicely bound. Stan Stone of the Cape Ann Amateur Radio Assn. put this day together and did a great job!

Testing started at 4:00. They must have had 6 VEs there scoring. It all went fast and was well organized. For some reason they seemed to not be telling people what their score was, unless you barely failed, in which case they gave you encouragement. AFAIK, all but 1 adult passed the Tech test. Also passing were the 14yo kid and MY 11yo SON ALLAN!!!! [shocked][grin][smile][smile][smile][smile]

Many of us, including me, BobJ, the 14yo and my son decided to dive into the General test since there was no extra cost. I had studied some of the General questions before the class and spent 1/2 of my class time studying the General book I brought. Neither kid passed the General (though my son got 15 out of 35[smile]), but BobJ and I passed. More than 1 person had told me that the Extra test was actually easier than the General if you know electronics (which I do for a living). They pushed BobJ and I to take the Extra. It was my son's encourgement that got me to agree, so BobJ and I sat down for 50 more questions[thinking]. I'm stunned to say that I passed. I feel sort of awkward as I have an Extra license and I feel like I don’t know anything about Amateur Radio. I have no gear. I’ve never been on the air. I don’t know the code and I won’t even have a call sign for 2 weeks. But that only means I have lots of fun learning ahead. I just joined the Cape Ann club and both my sons and I spent Sunday a.m. in their clubhouse for their Winter Field Day.

I’m kinda proud that I got my Extra all in 1 day, but that’s nothing compared to watching my 11yo stay focused through a very tiring day, pass the Tech test and even dive into the General test. As you can guess, all the Grandparents knew within 24hrs. Excuse me. I need a tissue.

ETA: BobJ beat me to it. I was composing while he posted.

I feel sort of awkward as I have an Extra license and I feel like I don’t know anything about Amateur Radio. I have no gear. I’ve never been on the air. I don’t know the code and I won’t even have a call sign for 2 weeks.

Don't feel awkward. You'll be light years ahead of me very soon. I'm a retard with electronics. I literally read a basic antenna design, then have to read other books for a month trying to understand it. Not knowing electronics is a serious handicap, particularly because most hams talk to you with the assumption that you at least have a basic understanding.

Don't feel awkward. You'll be light years ahead of me very soon. I'm a retard with electronics. I literally read a basic antenna design, then have to read other books for a month trying to understand it. Not knowing electronics is a serious handicap, particularly because most hams talk to you with the assumption that you at least have a basic understanding.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I just got a pile of books from Amazon on antennas and basic electronics, though, so hopefully I won't feel so stupid for much longer.

For you newly minted Hams, the following callsigns have been vacated and are available through the Vanity call program.

K1NES, N1NES, WA1NES, WB1NES, KA1NES and W1NES.
This last one would be great for someone in the liquor business [wink]

For you newly minted Hams, the following callsigns have been vacated and are available through the Vanity call program.

I would suggest checking with Derek as a courtesy in case that he wants to get his ticket.

I do like the W1NES one though....that's a riot.

So cool.....[smile] How do I get one of these?

Not so[smile].
The format was simple: study the pool of questions and only the correct answer, as that will make it jump out at you when taking the test. We were told to not wory about the theory: that's for another day. In 6 one hr. sessions we did silent study for 45minutes then took 15 minutes to get the blood flowing. Each session had a specific group of questions to study. This worked quite well.

Ahh... I knew I should have patented my method way back when I developed my software! [wink]

Congrats to all those that passed! Now you can relax and spend your time learning!

I’m kinda proud that I got my Extra all in 1 day, but that’s nothing compared to watching my 11yo stay focused through a very tiring day, pass the Tech test and even dive into the General test. As you can guess, all the Grandparents knew within 24hrs. Excuse me. I need a tissue.

Very nice meeting you and your son....[smile]. Congrats on passing the Extra!

Anyone here have any knowledge or experience with the Relm WHS150?
I picked one up for $30, no battery though. I adjusted my PSU to the proper voltage, and tested it out, and everything checks out. I just need to decide if it's worth the $40 or more for a new battery.
(I've read the manual, just looking for personal opinions. A link to cheap batteries would also be appreciated, as well as a rough value of the radio)
thanks

Not so[smile]. Here's my Trip Report

Cost was $20. This included the FCC's $15 test fee. I assume the $5 barely covered the cost of the printed study book, rental of the community center and the snacks. A great deal!

About 40 attendees including 4 kids ages 14, 11, 11, 9 (my son Allan was one of the 11 year olds!!!). I've only lived in MA for 3 months so I haven't had the pleasure of meeting NES members until now. BobJ and I were at one table. HardJeepGuy, MrTwig and 2 others who I didn't get the opportunity to meet were all at another table.

They kept us well supplied with doughnuts, baegals, coffee, sodas, water, cookies and chips. Lunch was a 1:15hr break where we headed out to various local eateries.

Sign-in ended at about 8:40 and we got a 20 minute intro and pep-talk. The handout included was the entire Tech question pool, with the correct answers in bold plus a frequency band chart, and some useful power and freq/wavelength equations, all nicely bound. Stan Stone of the Cape Ann Amateur Radio Assn. put this day together and did a great job!

Testing started at 4:00. They must have had 6 VEs there scoring. It all went fast and was well organized. For some reason they seemed to not be telling people what their score was, unless you barely failed, in which case they gave you encouragement. AFAIK, all but 1 adult passed the Tech test. Also passing were the 14yo kid and MY 11yo SON ALLAN!!!! [shocked][grin][smile][smile][smile][smile]

Many of us, including me, BobJ, the 14yo and my son decided to dive into the General test since there was no extra cost. I had studied some of the General questions before the class and spent 1/2 of my class time studying the General book I brought. Neither kid passed the General (though my son got 15 out of 35[smile]), but BobJ and I passed. More than 1 person had told me that the Extra test was actually easier than the General if you know electronics (which I do for a living). They pushed BobJ and I to take the Extra. It was my son's encourgement that got me to agree, so BobJ and I sat down for 50 more questions[thinking]. I'm stunned to say that I passed. I feel sort of awkward as I have an Extra license and I feel like I don’t know anything about Amateur Radio. I have no gear. I’ve never been on the air. I don’t know the code and I won’t even have a call sign for 2 weeks. But that only means I have lots of fun learning ahead. I just joined the Cape Ann club and both my sons and I spent Sunday a.m. in their clubhouse for their Winter Field Day.

ETA: BobJ beat me to it. I was composing while he posted.

Way to go!!! and congratulate your son too.
My son (13) is going for the test in a couple of weeks. I'm going to take a stab at the Extra while I'm there with him.

HMMMMM...I wonder if I should apply for a Club call sign for NES?

/John

It seems to me that the NES ham radio club is really taking off. This is great. I am especially happy to see the NEW hams popping up. I think that most of the new hams here got their ticket because of this thread! That is amazing. To me that makes this thread ONE of the most productive on the forum. The hams that participated in encouraging the new ticket holders should be proud of that. Congratulations to the new ticket holders AND to the hams that gave them encouragment. I am sure there will be more new hams due to the efforts of people here.

/John

P.S. Ham radio is not just a hobby, it is a emegency service. The new hams that are learning the ropes will make this service stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom