NES Amateur Radio (HAM) Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still on, for Saturday May 3. I sent PMs to the people on the interest list, and I'm going to post a separate thread once I get all the costs planned out; probably this weekend.

That's great - if there's still space, please add me to the list.

Thanks!
Chris

Ive always been interested in HAM radio. Never done anythin about that interest though.

STill room for that class/test type thing?

NICE. Congrats! I am glad that you went for it even though you were not sure. Good for you. We should meet up at a Dunks sometime soon to have coffee and talk HF rigs.

/John

I'm on 390 now. We'd better talk HF soon. I need to get cracking the first chance I get. I need to start studying for Extra, too.

P-14 Is Still Off the Air

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to cancel, too, due to a conflict.

Sorry,

Bob

Give us some details as to what's happening and what your setup is?

Antennae used and its location, The band you made the qso on, How much power, your signal report etc.

Give us some details as to what's happening and what your setup is?

Antennae used and its location, The band you made the qso on, How much power, your signal report etc.

I have a G5RV Lite, half of which runs through my attic, out the vent to the feed, then the other half runs over the backyard. At the time, though, the whole thing was run around my attic.

I was receiving ok, but not connecting. This happened on all bands. The QSO's I was referring to were on 20M. Since I moved the antenna, I seem to be able to reach out a little better.

Part of your problem if not all could be the G5RV Lite. It's known to be garbage.

Check out the following reviews:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5908

I would check the antenna and make sure that it is functioning properly. If your antennae is not functioning properly you can damage the transceiver when transmitting.

Do you have an SWR meter?

On my tuner

You can use the SWR Meter to see how much signal is going out the antenna and how much is reflected back into the radio.

This should be done at the lowest transmitting power available on the radio for a short period of time. 1 to 2 seconds at a time.

If you have an antennae tuner you should use it to tune the antennae to the band that you are working on.

You can use the SWR Meter to see how much signal is going out the antenna and how much is reflected back into the radio.

This should be done at the lowest transmitting power available on the radio for a short period of time. 1 to 2 seconds at a time.

If you have an antennae tuner you should use it to tune the antennae to the band that you are working on.

That's what I've been doing. I can generally tune 1:1. I use the CW key to tune.

Tune your radio down to

If your antennae is tuned properly then maybe the bands are not open.
tune to the falling 14.1 NCDXF CW beacon network and listen for the CW beacon.

That will give you some indication as to how the band is doing. As the sun sets the 20 meters conditions may get better. Tune around on 10 Meters and see if how much if any activity is there.

The problem is that if your antenna sucks, you can tune to a perfect SWR but little or none of that energy is being radiated as a usable signal, it's just bouncing around in the tank circuit of the tuner..

The problem is that if your antenna sucks, you can tune to a perfect SWR but little or none of that energy is being radiated as a usable signal, it's just bouncing around in the tank circuit of the tuner..

Yeah. With CW, my forward power is high, but on SSB I'm lucking if I break 10.

Yeah. With CW, my forward power is high, but on SSB I'm lucking if I break 10.

Is that with the RF power set on H, and the mic gain on about 8? Should do more than that. Even if you don't have the peak reading circuit enabled on your tuner's meter (which requires that wallwart thing, or a DC plug) you
should still see an avg. of at least 50W; more if you make a steady howl into the microphone. [laugh]

Edit: Try setting the tuner to "Direct" and to the "Dummy Load" setting. You should get a hell of a lot more
than 10W on SSB.... otherwise something is way out of whack.

-Mike

Last edited:
Is that with the RF power set on H, and the mic gain on about 8? Should do more than that. Even if you don't have the peak reading circuit enabled on your tuner's meter (which requires that wallwart thing, or a DC plug) you
should still see an avg. of at least 50W; more if you make a steady howl into the microphone. [laugh]

-Mike

Maybe if I made a steady howl. My mic gain is 6. i'll bump it up. Otherwise, it bounces between 1 and 15, but rarely bumps over 10. I can hear people plain as day. They just can't hear me.

Last edited:
The Framingham MA Ham radio Flea is today at 9am and just a reminder that we are officially only a month away from the BIG ONE! Want to see what Ham Radio is really about? Come to NEAR-Fest in Deerfield NH for a Friday and Saturday FULL of Ham Radio fun :) Unfortunately you guys have planned your get together for the same day as the biggest Ham Radio Flea in the North East so I won't be there, maybe you could incorporate it into the Deerfield NH two day extravaganza! [grin]

jar:

Thanks for bringing the book to the Riverside Match last Sunday! I'll let you know how I'm getting through it.

Regards,

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom