NES Amateur Radio (HAM) Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
KB1MJU General class. Just put my 2m 70cm back in the car.

Portable 70cm 2m
mobile 70cm 2m
Base 10/15/20/40/60/80

Will there be another Radio training seminar?

[wink]

I've already got something on my calendar for all but two weekends until November. I'd love to run another class, but scheduling is tough. I'll probably ask about interest in the fall and think about planning something late fall/early winter.

If you have a technical background you can pass the tech exam with some self study and learn as you go. I'm more than happy to answer anyone's questions.

+1 I trained my self for the tech and the general. I Will also help anyone.

I've already got something on my calendar for all but two weekends until November. I'd love to run another class, but scheduling is tough. I'll probably ask about interest in the fall and think about planning something late fall/early winter.

If you have a technical background you can pass the tech exam with some self study and learn as you go. I'm more than happy to answer anyone's questions.

I would definitely be interested in any sort of training, classes, knowledge. I'm pretty tech savvy, so I'm sure I could learn things on my own, but I wouldn't know where to start. If I did pass I'd be happy to help other's out and spread the knowledge.

I want a class that will prepare me for the general/extra exam so I can pay once for the exam. :)

I can get an evening class going in Worcester without too much trouble. Would most likely be held at WPI. Most likely need 15 to 20 people. If there is enough interest we can get one going and yes I have been a member of WECT since it's inception.

can anyone recommend a good starter ham radio? base and mobile?

- How much $ do you want to spend
- Are you looking for a tech license VHF/UHF starter? The FT-7800R will be a nice dual bander to get you on 2m and 440 repeaters and simplex for ~$265. You can use it at home and then put it in your car. You can get a 2m only for a lot less
- Are you looking for a do it all (DC to daylight)? You can't go wrong with an IC-706 or IC-7000. You can pick a 706 up used for $600-700 or a 7000 for ~$1400. You can also get an FT-857D new for about $700.
- Do you want to get started with HF only you can pick up a ic-718 for ~$630 or an older used unit for a lot less.

It really depends what you want to do: talk on repeaters on the commute, play with digital modes likes PSK31 or rag chew on HF.

- How much $ do you want to spend
- Are you looking for a tech license VHF/UHF starter? The FT-7800R will be a nice dual bander to get you on 2m and 440 repeaters and simplex for ~$265. You can use it at home and then put it in your car. You can get a 2m only for a lot less
- Are you looking for a do it all (DC to daylight)? You can't go wrong with an IC-706 or IC-7000. You can pick a 706 up used for $600-700 or a 7000 for ~$1400. You can also get an FT-857D new for about $700.
- Do you want to get started with HF only you can pick up a ic-718 for ~$630 or an older used unit for a lot less.

It really depends what you want to do: talk on repeaters on the commute, play with digital modes likes PSK31 or rag chew on HF.

Guess I'm looking for radios for emergency situations first. Don't know much about ham radios, but think they would make a good insurance policy for now, then who knows after I get a little familiarty with it?

Help! My Icom t90a is acting up. It started a couple of days ago. Every 5 seconds squelch seems to kick in and I lose around 1/2 a second of the conversation. It happens on multiple frequencies and different people talking.

Anyone have an idea?

Sounds like it may have a "Priority Watch" function. Check the manual for a "Priority Watch" and see if you may have accidently enabled it.

Page 50-54 of the manual.

Memory channel watch:
While operating on a VFO frequency, priority watch checks
for a signal in the selected memory channel every 5 sec.

Last edited:
Sounds like it may have a "Priority Watch" function. Check the manual for a "Priority Watch" and see if you may have accidently enabled it.

Page 50-54 of the manual.

Memory channel watch:
While operating on a VFO frequency, priority watch checks
for a signal in the selected memory channel every 5 sec.

Ahh that could be it... I think I turned on a bad weather monitor... It's kinda quiet tonight so I'll have to see if that does the trick in the AM. Thanks!

Yes sir, My buddy owns a Tower company and I'm his "Ground Man" when not working my normal job. "Skippy" and I have not missed a "HossTraders" or "Boxboro" in almost 30 years. We are a motley crew that swill beer and make a big mess and a lot of noise. If you do know us you probably don't want to admit it to anyone. [grin] I think my 1st Hosstraders was in 78' or 79'.

Cool! I probably met you somewhere at Boxboro, MIT, Dayton, HossTrader's, etc, from the late 70's to early 90's. I've just been inactive the last 15. This'll be the first hamfest since then. I'll be looking for a green derelict vehicle next to a bunch of towers!

You sound like me with guns, I was very active as a kid and teenager, got married, had kids, guns took a back seat until a couple of years ago when the kids got a little older. Ham radio never left, wife and kids are Hams. [smile]

Im planning on taking the technician exam next Wednesday night @ 7:30 at MIT. If anyone wants to car pool in let me know.

How'd you do?

Passed with a perfect score! I just got my first radio in the mail today, but my info hasn't posted to the FCC website yet. I guess Ill just be listening for a while.

And there were two other guys that used their LTCs as 2nd photo IDs. Nice to be around like minded people in Cambridge!

Too bad you don't have your cs yet. I could have talked you in, rather than calling.

I don't go to cambridge anymore. My fuse is too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom