New Acquisitions for December 2011

I have no pictures of it yet, but bought a Marlin XL7 in .30-06 with a awesome Boyds stock from a NES member! can't wait to get some time to send lead down range!

Picked this up on Sunday at Plimoth Bay Outfitters.
DetectiveSpecial-1.jpg

nice.

Nice toys! I got the call today that my rock river lower is in unfortunately the rest of the rifle won't be here until after Christmas! :-( I may have to buy something rise first....

Whitney Wolverine

Here is one you don't see everyday. It's been on my wish list for awhile and finally got one. It's a Whitney Wolverine .22LR pistol made in 1956-1957
For those not familiar with these, only 13,371 of these pistols were ever made, so they are scarce. It was the design of Robert Hillberg, who was involved with aluminum castings while working with aircraft guns on the P-47 fighter aircraft. The company he formed, Whitney Firearms, Inc., in New Haven CT was named for gun manufacturer Eli Whitney, and the gun was named the Wolverine because the University of Michigan's football team was Hillberg's favorite.

The gun was manufactured starting in 1956. The frame and what would normally be a slide was cast of aluminum in one piece. The actual slide reciprocated inside the upper frame, and housed the barrel and breechblock. The whole gun weighed only 23 ounces and sold for $39.95 in blue. A contract dispute with Galef & Son over marketing rights and competition from Colt and Ruger proved the undoing of the company. They closed in 1958.

DSCF4563.jpg

DSCF4564.jpg

DSCF4567.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF4567.jpg
    DSCF4567.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 13
Here is one you don't see everyday. It's been on my wish list for awhile and finally got one. It's a Whitney Wolverine .22LR pistol made in 1956-1957
For those not familiar with these, only 13,371 of these pistols were ever made, so they are scarce. It was the design of Robert Hillberg, who was involved with aluminum castings while working with aircraft guns on the P-47 fighter aircraft. The company he formed, Whitney Firearms, Inc., in New Haven CT was named for gun manufacturer Eli Whitney, and the gun was named the Wolverine because the University of Michigan's football team was Hillberg's favorite.

The gun was manufactured starting in 1956. The frame and what would normally be a slide was cast of aluminum in one piece. The actual slide reciprocated inside the upper frame, and housed the barrel and breechblock. The whole gun weighed only 23 ounces and sold for $39.95 in blue. A contract dispute with Galef & Son over marketing rights and competition from Colt and Ruger proved the undoing of the company. They closed in 1958.

DSCF4563.jpg

DSCF4564.jpg

DSCF4567.jpg

That handgun is bad ass!!!!! It looks like a phaser gun. Great pick up.

For those not familiar with these, only 13,371 of these pistols were ever made, so they are scarce.

A couple of years ago someone planned to start making them again, but I don't know if they ever actually did. The firearm got good reviews from what I read on line, but I've never actually seen one let alone fired one. Not that we'd be allowed to buy such a dangerous weapon here in the PRM.

Congratulations on a rare and fine pick up.

ETA: Olympic Arms is the manufacturer of the new Wolverine. They frame is no longer aluminum, it's not a polymer. I'm guessing it's still not on the EOPS list, but I haven't actually looked.

Last edited:
Not a firearm but this should make trips to the range easier. Looked at the Pelican cases but they were a bit too pricey. This is from Seahorse Cases (part # SE540FP4).

Damn that's nice! Not sure how I missed it when I was there on Saturday!
It was there on the top shelf! I saw it on Sat. And left without it. That night I mentioned it to my wife and much to my surprise she said, "go get it, i'll pay for it- it will be my Xmas gift to you!". On Sunday I couldn't get there fast enough!

Not a firearm but this should make trips to the range easier. Looked at the Pelican cases but they were a bit too pricey. This is from Seahorse Cases (part # SE540FP4).]

That's a really nice case. Wicked inexpensive as well. Does it feel heavy duty/sturdy.....sure looks it.

Thanks for the post I'm gonna get one now!!!

It was there on the top shelf! I saw it on Sat. And left without it. That night I mentioned it to my wife and much to my surprise she said, "go get it, i'll pay for it- it will be my Xmas gift to you!". On Sunday I couldn't get there fast enough!

You're a lucky man!

I'm still paying off a 930 SPX they ordered for me, so I wouldn't have been able to scoop it up, haha.

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet?

I think this counts as a new acquisition in December considering I just got the slide back today and it is finally complete :)

8619c7d9.jpg

d3574d4d.jpg

e912e34f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom