New Hampshire isn't leaning too far left just yet.

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
Thank you Bruce http://massbackwards.blogspot.com/2006/01/from-north-of-border.html

HB 1639

HOUSE BILL 1639-FN

AN ACT prohibiting the confiscation of lawfully owned and lawfully carried firearms during a state of emergency.

SPONSORS: Rep. Hopfgarten, Rock 5; Rep. Bicknell, Rock 1; Rep. Lund, Rock 5; Rep. Hellwig, Hills 27

COMMITTEE: Criminal Justice and Public Safety

ANALYSIS

This bill prohibits law enforcement officers and other public officials from confiscating lawfully owned and lawfully carried firearms during a state of emergency.

Explanation: Matter added to current law appears in bold italics.

Matter removed from current law appears [in brackets and struckthrough.]

Matter which is either (a) all new or (b) repealed and reenacted appears in regular type.

06-2881

09/04

STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Six

AN ACT prohibiting the confiscation of lawfully owned and lawfully carried firearms during a state of emergency.

Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

1 New Paragraph; State of Emergency; Confiscation of Firearms Prohibited. Amend RSA 4:46 by inserting after paragraph VI the following new paragraph:

VII.(a) Any law enforcement officer, person acting as a law enforcement officer, or other public official who confiscates or attempts to confiscate lawfully carried or lawfully owned firearms in this state during a declared state of emergency shall be charged with a class A felony.

(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 651:2, any violation of this paragraph shall be punishable by a fine of not less than $5,000, a letter of reprimand by the violator’s chief presiding law enforcement officer, and imprisonment for not less than 30 days in a state correctional facility.

2 Effective Date. This act shall take effect 60 days after its passage.

Just a quick glance it seems to only cover LEOs acting on their own taking firearms from people who are legally allowed to have them on their person. I don't know if it prohibits a CofP from issuing orders to round up firearms or not.

I bought a house in N.Nashua and sold it 6 months to the day I got it. I did make a good amount of money on it though...

Among all the normal daily 1.5 hour each way commute the one 6 hour ride home in a snow storm did me in.

Adam

Adam_MA said:
Among all the normal daily 1.5 hour each way commute the one 6 hour ride home in a snow storm did me in.
Been there, done that ... I went the opposite route though and quit my Mass job to work up here. After eliminating the NonResident MA income tax bite plus the money spent commuting, I found that even though I was getting paid less in my NH salary I was actually bringing home more.

BigWarden said:
Adam_MA said:
Been there, done that ... I went the opposite route though and quit my Mass job to work up here. After eliminating the NonResident MA income tax bite plus the money spent commuting, I found that even though I was getting paid less in my NH salary I was actually bringing home more.

Don't rub it in.. [dopeslappingforehead] STUPID, STUPID, STUPID [/dopeslappingforehead]

Adam_MA said:

Adam

i myself love driving in snow storms,that's one of the reasons i stay here.otherwise i'd move to a small town called winsted in conn

Driving in snow doesn't bother me at all... However sitting in the SAME SPOT on the highway for 1 hour with the truck in park is what sucks.

Adam

Any law enforcement officer, person acting as a law enforcement officer, or other public official who confiscates or attempts to confiscate lawfully carried or lawfully owned firearms in this state during a declared state of emergency shall be charged with a class A felony.

I don't see how that langauage would limit this to the cop who takes it on him or herself to confiscate firearms. If the police chiefs aren't police officers and they aren't public officials, then who would anybody take orders from them. (Of course, if anybody remembers the oath of office they took, regarding "preserve and protect the Constitution", they'd never obey that sort of order regardless of any law like this.)

Ken

Driving in snow doesn't bother me at all... However sitting in the SAME SPOT on the highway for 1 hour with the truck in park is what sucks.
I grew up in Chicago and went to school in upstate NY. I've got real snow tires (not all-season tires, but real snow tires) on my 4WD 4Runner.

So I'm not afraid of a little snow. The problem is that 128 turns into a parking lot because of the fools who can't drive in snow...

KMaurer said:
Any law enforcement officer, person acting as a law enforcement officer, or other public official who confiscates or attempts to confiscate lawfully carried or lawfully owned firearms in this state during a declared state of emergency shall be charged with a class A felony.

I don't see how that langauage would limit this to the cop who takes it on him or herself to confiscate firearms. If the police chiefs aren't police officers and they aren't public officials, then who would anybody take orders from them. (Of course, if anybody remembers the oath of office they took, regarding "preserve and protect the Constitution", they'd never obey that sort of order regardless of any law like this.)

Ken

Ken, they are in the clear!

They don't take any oath to "preserve and protect the Constitution" these days in most towns. I had this discussion with two Town Clerks after it changed many, many years ago.

I suspect that many chiefs like deposed-chief Diane Skoog NEVER even read the US Constitution (as she admitted in a court of law)!

I'm aware of that disgusting fact, Len. I'm just one of those unreconstructed bastards who remembers very well the oath he swore 40 years ago (Ouch!) and can't recall ever having recanted that oath or having officially been relieved of it.

Ken

KMaurer said:
one of those unreconstructed bastards who remembers very well the oath he swore 40 years ago (Ouch!) and can't recall ever having recanted that oath or having officially been relieved of it.

Hey, Ken, the military still swears to uphold the Constitution, last I knew. First time I took that oath was just shy of 34 years ago, so don't feel so bad. I've never recanted it, either. Like most military/ex-military, I intend to uphold it until my death.

I didn't take an oath, but I still uphold it, and would do so with my last breath....even tho there are times when doing so makes me want to barf (like an unofficial, improper flag burning, or when lefties spout caca).

O, I know that the military still used the same oath; Len's point, which I acknowledged, is that a lot of police and other local agencies don't take an equivalent oath, but simply something to the effect that they'll follow all orders, no matter how absurd, illegal or unconstitutional without question or hesitation. Realism also forces me to admit that there is an unfortunate segment of military personnel who seem never to have understood their oath, mistaking it for something similarly teutonic.

Ken

Ken,

Many of today's chiefs at least never served in the US Military, so they never took such an oath.

I had to smile when I was sworn in last September for renewal of my Constable appointment. Apparently I "reached" our Town Clerk, because the "old" US and MA Constitutions was put back in the oath that I took. I had made a stink about it's removal over the past few years and it seems that she listened. :D

I agree with both of you. Ken, I've also seen a fair amount of military folks that don't fully understand what they swore to uphold. Fortunately, I'm currently in the National Guard, and strangely, Guardsmen take it far more seriously than the Active Duty folks.

Oh, I was born here, but, I spent 10 years in the Active Duty military and almost moved to either the Eastern Shore of Maryland, or Arkansas when I got off Active Duty.

Skald,

In case you haven't seen it yet, here's one more factor infavor of your old home. The current Michigan AG has just issue a ruling holding that a resident CCW (shall issue) satisfies all the state legal requirements for posession of machine guns and other NFA items. IOW, if you're a law-abiding Michigan resident, all you need is the BATFE sign-off (and, of course, $$$) in order to get that MP5 or BAR you've always wanted.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom