• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Private tranfer from Tenn to RI

GL2020

NES Member
Not sure this is the best forum to ask but thought I'd start here.

Good friend of mine (RI resident) asked me and I was stumped and didn't find anything too specific searching here or online.

Short version my friend's father-in-law lives in Tennessee and has a substantial gun collection.
FIL is elderly and in failing health both mentally and physically.

There is no contention over who "gets them". The family would like to get the firearms out of the house and to RI before he passes away (they guess 3-6 months).
Neither my friend nor his wife have have RI LTC but he already owns several firearms (bought and inherited from his father) and I know neither is a prohibited person.

Got scant details about the hardware but it sound like this guy has a good mix of rifles/shotguns and pistols. I wouldn't be surprised if there were even some suppressors in the mix ( i know those are NG in RI).
Given Tennessee is a free state is it just a matter of creating a "bill of sale" saying he is "gifting" the guns to his daughter and tossing them in the back of a u-haul (discreetly) on one of their clean out trips? This could be in upwards of 30-40 firearms, So obviously the whole "ship to FFL" in RI is would be very costly and best avoided if legal to do so.

No money is changing hands here, just want to gets the guns out of the house in Tenn to a house in RI without breaking a bunch of laws.

Unless someone dies (and the guns are willed etc) it must go through a dealer. Find one that's smaller that'll do a bulk rate.

As far as I know everything has to be transferred through an ffl and since they dont have their carry license , he'll need the hunter ed card and a waiting period of at least 7 days.

Feel free to pm if you need details on a shop.

Unless someone dies (and the guns are willed etc) it must go through a dealer. Find one that's smaller that'll do a bulk rate.
As far as I know everything has to be transferred through an ffl and since they dont have their carry license , he'll need the hunter ed card and a waiting period of at least 7 days.
Wow, so (hypothetically) my out of state relative couldn't just gift me a gun while I was visiting his in TN and I drive home with it? Yikes, that sucks. If they were both TN residents he could pass them to him after church in the parking lot.

Wow, so (hypothetically) my out of state relative couldn't just gift me a gun while I was visiting his in TN and I drive home with it? Yikes, that sucks. If they were both TN residents he could pass them to him after church in the parking lot.
Private transfers across state lines are a federal felony. I believe there is an exception for inherited firearms. Transfers of handguns must be done by an FFL in the buyers state of residence. Transfers of long guns can be done by an FFL in any state.

Understood. I started that way too. Had pistols but no LTC for some time.
He's got his bedside 38 with no LTC (as do most of the people who live my street)
Most states don’t require an LTC to possess pistols, RI is one of them. Not sure why the lack of LTC argument keeps coming up, it’s not an issue here.

Most states don’t require an LTC to possess pistols, RI is one of them. Not sure why the lack of LTC argument keeps coming up, it’s not an issue here.
I think because as a RI resident a 7 days wait period comes into play when a RI FFL is involved.
I know they do the 4473 and notify the local PD of the town the purchaser lives in.

With LTC immediate possession (except for non resident AG LTC's for some silly reason)

Fed Law demands FFL involved in xfrs between people who live in different states.

Handguns must go thru FFL in new owner's state. Long guns can be done at any FFL anywhere.

The problem is that no FFL will do a transfer to a Rhode Island resident because we have a 7 day waiting period. I haven't checked with every FFL in the country, but every dealer I've been to in New England and a bunch I checked with on vacation in various parts of the country have all told me they would only ship a gun to a local FFL.

You're going to have to get them shipped to a local FFL.

The problem is that no FFL will do a transfer to a Rhode Island resident because we have a 7 day waiting period. I haven't checked with every FFL in the country, but every dealer I've been to in New England and a bunch I checked with on vacation in various parts of the country have all told me they would only ship a gun to a local FFL.

You're going to have to get them shipped to a local FFL.
A RI 7 day waiting period is enforced on long gun purchases at an out of state FFL?

Don't want to get caught up in the permutations of if-then-else except on years divisible by 4. Thanks guys, got the answer I was looking for.
As long as ther owner is still alive the federal government says we gotta do this the long expensive way using FFL's.
If he dies (which sounds like it will be sooner rather than later) his daughter "inherits" the guns and it's much less involved.

A RI 7 day waiting period is enforced on long gun purchases at an out of state FFL?

I'm not stating a legal opinion. In my personal experience I have yet to find a dealer who won't. If you're from RI, you're a leper to every gun dealer in the country because of the perceived legal headache/liability. It's just easier for them to make you transfer everything to a local dealer and let them sort it out. I'm pretty sure the 7 day wait can be processed by an out of state dealer. They just need to fill out the town background form and send it to your local PD. If the PD does not respond, or responds in the positive you take your gun home after 7 days.

I'm not stating a legal opinion. In my personal experience I have yet to find a dealer who won't. If you're from RI, you're a leper to every gun dealer in the country because of the perceived legal headache/liability. It's just easier for them to make you transfer everything to a local dealer and let them sort it out. I'm pretty sure the 7 day wait can be processed by an out of state dealer. They just need to fill out the town background form and send it to your local PD. If the PD does not respond, or responds in the positive you take your gun home after 7 days.
Got it. From a legal standpoint I wasn’t sure what applied.

Being in MA, same thing though. Few out of state FFL, except those on the border who do a lot of business, even consider selling a legal rifle to MA residents.

Fed Law demands FFL involved in xfrs between people who live in different states.

Handguns must go thru FFL in new owner's state. Long guns can be done at any FFL anywhere.

This is what you need to know in every state that doesn't have a waiting period.

Private transfers across state lines are a federal felony. I believe there is an exception for inherited firearms. Transfers of handguns must be done by an FFL in the buyers state of residence. Transfers of long guns can be done by an FFL in any state.

Because RI has a 7 day waiting period and you have to fill out a second form for the police of the town you are purchasing in, and now your home town as well, and transferring FFL's MUST obey both states laws, but cannot do the RI forms they will only ship to your FFL. I've even had difficulty with my C and R because of the 7 day wait, I have had to have them call a couple local FFL's to verify I'm good to go.

Back
Top Bottom