NH non resident permit?

I thought I read somewhere about NH accepting ANY state permit, not just your home state. Do you have any other non-resident permits? Can anyone corroborate this?

Reciprocity: The State of New Hampshire has reciprocity agreements with the following states:

Alabama Michigan
Alaska Missouri
Arizona (License holders must be 21 years of age or older.)
Mississippi
Arkansas (Law Enforcement Officers only)
North Carolina
Colorado North Dakota
Florida Oklahoma
Georgia Pennsylvania
Idaho Tennessee
Indiana Utah
Kentucky Wyoming
Louisiana

Please note: The State of New Hampshire will only recognize resident concealed handgun licenses from these states.
source: http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

State CCW Permits that New Hampshire Honors:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah and Wyoming
source: http://carryconcealed.net/legal/newhampshire-ccw-state-laws.php

Last edited:
PA State Police will NOT recognize reciprocity with a NH Non resident license. They will most likely arrest you, and then the charges MAY be dropped by the AG's office. This from George Sizer (sp?) at the AG's office. I checked it out before getting my PA license.

It is the opinion of the SP that reciprocity is only granted to residents of those states which offer the same to PA residents.

PA is easy to get as well- I just don't know if they will grant an "All Purpose" license if the home state one you have is restricted.

PA State Police will NOT recognize reciprocity with a NH Non resident license.

Thanks for pointing this out. I regularly visit my parents in PA, and expected an NH non-res to cover me, based on the AG's office's opinion here.

Recognition in Pennsylvania is based on the individual's issuance of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.

PA is easy to get as well- I just don't know if they will grant an "All Purpose" license if the home state one you have is restricted.

PA has "reason for issue" or something similar listed on their licenses
but I don't think it's even binding at all, like MA's is. PA is shall issue
so them having binding restrictions at all makes very little
sense, considering the applicant can just get whatever they want if
they qualify for a permit to begin with.

-Mike

I have been researching over the internet and emailing Sam Cohen of pro gun New Hampshire.

My original understanding is that if your home state is restricted, NH will not issue you a non resident CCW license even if you have a non-resident CCW from another state.

The more I research, the more I see that this understanding may not be correct. Part of the problem is the terminology used. We're dealing with non-resident licenses from state A and state B, reciprocity, residency, restrictions, and so forth. It gets complicated.

Lets throw Massachusetts out of the equation as well as the term reciprocity.

Under New Hampshire Saf-C 2102.03:

Under the amended rule (Saf-C 2102.03), a valid carry license from any state will qualify an applicant for the New Hampshire non-resident license. Those who hold non-resident permits from "shall-issue" states like Florida will now be eligible for the New Hampshire non-resident license...

Unless this rule has been repealed, or if the NH state police are disregarding it, a person with a non-resident CCW license from Maine, Utah, any state should be able to get a non-resident NH CCW license.

Am I correct?

I have been researching over the internet and emailing Sam Cohen of pro gun New Hampshire.

My original understanding is that if your home state is restricted, NH will not issue you a non resident CCW license even if you have a non-resident CCW from another state.

The more I research, the more I see that this understanding may not be correct. Part of the problem is the terminology used. We're dealing with non-resident licenses from state A and state B, reciprocity, residency, restrictions, and so forth. It gets complicated.

Lets throw Massachusetts out of the equation as well as the term reciprocity.

Under New Hampshire Saf-C 2102.03:

Under the amended rule (Saf-C 2102.03), a valid carry license from any state will qualify an applicant for the New Hampshire non-resident license. Those who hold non-resident permits from "shall-issue" states like Florida will now be eligible for the New Hampshire non-resident license...

Unless this rule has been repealed, or if the NH state police are disregarding it, a person with a non-resident CCW license from Maine, Utah, any state should be able to get a non-resident NH CCW license.

Am I correct?

As of the last time I checked you are indeed correct. NH has been issuing CCW licenses to Massachusetts residents who don't bother supplying a copy of their (restricted) LTC but who do provide a copy of their ME CCW license.

Ken

As of the last time I checked you are indeed correct. NH has been issuing CCW licenses to Massachusetts residents who don't bother supplying a copy of their (restricted) LTC but who do provide a copy of their ME CCW license.

Ken

Yep:

NON-RESIDENT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS **
* ALL LICENSE APPLICANTS - - PLEASE NOTE:
A non-resident pistol permit will not be issued unless you supply:
1) A copy (front & back) of your valid concealed carry permit issued by the state, county, or town in which you
reside, OR a valid concealed permit issued by any other state.

(my emphasis added) WOOT! WOOT!

I just received an email from Mr. Cohen who advises me that at this time the NH SP are not honoring non-resident licenses for the application of non-resident NH CCW licenses. This does seem to me to disregard Saf-C 2102.03 which is an administrative rule with the force of law. Mr. Cohen has indicated that pro gun NH is still investigating this, and I have offered to assist him if I can in any way.

Wow, this all sounds like such a weird conundrum...

So I need to apply for a Florida non res LTC, then NH?

I just received an email from Mr. Cohen who advises me that at this time the NH SP are not honoring non-resident licenses for the application of non-resident NH CCW licenses.

Or as Wayne suggests that will not work!!

Call NH SP and ask their Licensing folks.

They told me "yes" in August. Looks like they may have changed their minds. Wonder if they hired Tom Reilly as their "firearms law adviser"! [thinking] [rolleyes]

Non-resident license applications may be obtained by calling the New Hampshire State Police Permits and Licensing Division at 603-271-3575

This is the number to call. I'm calling tomorrow, not to complain, but just to get a name and verify their policy.

If they are violating the law, I will notify their AG's office.

I just spoke with Rosemary at the NH SP licensing unit and she assurred me that they will in fact accept an out-of state license from Masachusetts applicants. So based on the administrative rule, the wording on the application, and my direct conversation with the office that processes the applications, I would say that NH is "green" for us neutered folks.[smile].

Perhaps there was a temporary snafu that has caused Sam some concern, but I intend to move forward with NH once my first non-resident CCW comes in.

They wont issue to a restricted out of state lic.
I talked with Rosemary as well. My Lic. showed up in the mail with a restriction when I renewed. I went to the local PD and got it straighted out and he upgraded my lic. to ALP. He then gave me a copy of the letter he sent out to the state showing the upgrade. I have to carry the letter with my Lic. but whatever, he said the state would get another $100 out of me if I wanted the plastic card changed and this letter was fine and dandy.
Anyway, Rosemary didn't see the copy of the letter I sent with my app. for what ever reason. The app. was then sent back to me as a denial because of the restriction. After talking with Rosemary on the phone and telling her that I had sent in a copy of my letter of upgrade she had me send it to them again. Within 2 weeks my lic. arrived in the mail.

They wont issue to a restricted out of state lic.
I talked with Rosemary as well. My Lic. showed up in the mail with a restriction when I renewed. I went to the local PD and got it straighted out and he upgraded my lic. to ALP. He then gave me a copy of the letter he sent out to the state showing the upgrade. I have to carry the letter with my Lic. but whatever, he said the state would get another $100 out of me if I wanted the plastic card changed and this letter was fine and dandy.
Anyway, Rosemary didn't see the copy of the letter I sent with my app. for what ever reason. The app. was then sent back to me as a denial because of the restriction. After talking with Rosemary on the phone and telling her that I had sent in a copy of my letter of upgrade she had me send it to them again. Within 2 weeks my lic. arrived in the mail.

Right, we've all been trying to sort through the confusion. As you said, if you supply a restricted license, NH will not approve your application. An administrative rule was passed so that if you live in a communist f*ckhole like Massachusetts, you can provide a non-resident CCW instead and NH will accept it. The administrative rule has force of law.

The rule was not just a response to Mass, it includes places like Maryland, New Jersey, California, New York, Illinois and Wisconsin.

I hope this covers restricted to "Sporting" ?

I spoke to Rosemary at the NH State Police Licensing Unit and asked her specifically about this, comfirming that they will accept a restricted Mass. license and issue a full Non-Resident NH CCW. I mailed in my application the Friday before Christmas, and figure I'll hear back this week or next.

If you want to wait 'til I have I have (or don't have) it in hand, I will post here with the results.

FWIW, "Sporting" is technically more liberal than T&H, but the definition differs among police chiefs according to what I have read. Hunting and Target Shooting are clearly sporting activities, as is fishing except I imagine shooting fish is frowned upon, and additionally other related activities such as hiking and camping may also be included depending upon whose municipal fifedom you have dared encroach upon.

Last edited:
It doesn't appear from looking at my NH NR license, that they do any sort of restrictions. There doesn't seem to be any space for restrictions, reason for issue, or anything else of the sort. Same with Maine, in case anyone was wondering.

Gary

Since the only reason for which NH or ME require any sort of license is concealed carry, exactly shat sort of restriction might one reasonably expect might be imposed? "Valid only on odd-numbered days"?

Ken

I will wait my friend! Glad your already on top of the "sporting" restriction thing....

Yea, from what a Firearms lawyer told me, "Sporting" was the preferred, albeit, horrible, restriction....

I received my NH Non-Resident license in the mail today. There is no indication on it for any reason for issuance or restrictions. Wait is about 3 weeks so go for it.

My Mass restriction is "Sporting." If you have any specific questions you can call the licensing unit at this number: # Permits and Licensing Unit: (603) 271-3575

You leave a message and they call back same or next day. The woman whom works there is very polite and professional.

Good luck to all.

Back
Top Bottom